throwback week

moklerman Guest

Is it worth it...?

If you're not a New England fan is it worth it to you to adopt their "easy come, easy go" philosophy toward FA's? You can't possibly argue with New England's results but is there any sense of attachment or loyalty to players in this day and age of the NFL fan?

If you win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls you don't even think about it but if you follow...I don't know, team "X" and you don't win the big one but still continually filter through team leaders and fan favorites does it ever become detrimental to your enjoyment?

I can't help but think of some of the Arizona team's over the years. Whenever they had a player who started to perform well, there really wasn't a realistic chance to re-sign him. So the fans were left with guys who no one else wanted or if they got good/too good they would hit the highway.

The Rams have had to deal with this to some degree but have also been pretty lucky with stars re-structuring in various cases. It's a difficult line for me as I can't help but become attached to the guys who perform well and help the team win. It's a catch-22 the way contracts and salary caps are set up since player movement is designed into the system but I just have a problem with "flipping the switch" and not being conflicted when ex-Rams stars/favorites are with a different team. Warner, Fletcher, Wistrom, etc. I can't help thinking these guys are still Rams just wearing a different uniform.

sbramfan Guest

Re: Is it worth it...?

Here's a thinking that is not generally accepted:

I believe it is actually EASIER to become a dynasty in the FA era.

Here's why: IF (and this is a big IF) you are able to put together a winning team through the draft and FA, you can then backload a number of players contracts to ensure a 4-5 year period in which you can keep the players you have. As well, if there is a weakness on your team, you can pick up a FA to keep yourself competitive.

In the old days, if you had a weakness, guess what, you were stuck with it until you could draft a few guys and hopefully get them up to speed a few years down the road.

I agree that the dynasty can't go for a decade anymore, but you now have a better chance at creating a 4-5 year dynasty.

theodus69 Guest

Re: Is it worth it...?

We might see a difference in N.E. next year. That Philosophy might run out! I do remember when the Whiners we're Taken great care of and they kicked ass. A totally different approach. The Rams just need to find the in between that will keep the Players happy and the the Payroll friendly! Jones did it in Dallas by bringing in Nike I do believe to pay some of those high salaries! And the help of a great trade! :tongue: