TekeRam is offline Registered User

2012: Year of the Week 7 Bye?

Firstly, I want to set the disclaimer that any of you guys who are in the Blue league with me won't be able to discern my draft strategy for our league with this thread(ok, maybe a little...), but I wanted to be able to discuss with friends and competitors a strategy for another league I am in.

The league is 16 teams, mostly standard scoring, with QB's scored as 1pt/20yds, 4pt TD, -1pt interception. No PPR, and all 2pt conversons count 3pts(throwing too). 1Q, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1R/W/T, 1K, 1D.

In any case, because the depth is going to be so strained in this league(no PPR to at least hope for a point or two from every player), I am considering a strategy where I forget one week(in this case, week 7) and try to be full strength every other week. The reason I choose week 7 is because it's the one week that has 6 teams on a bye, and they are pretty heavy in terms of fantasy potential.

SD, Den, Phi, Atl, Mia, KC.

In a 16 team league you're going to have depth issues no matter what, but these teams between them can be quite good in my view.

QB's: Vick, Rivers, Manning, Ryan, Cassel, Tannehill/Garrard/Moore. Four or five of them are starters in smaller leagues so no worries there. Further, I can maybe get away with waiting until round 4 or 5 to grab Ryan, Rivers or Manning, in that order.

RB: A lot of stars, and some potential as well. Starters: Matthews, McGahee, McCoy, Turner, Bush, Charles. Backups of: Brown/Brinkley/McClain, Hillman, Dion Lewis(?), Jaquizz Rodgers, Thomas, Hillis. While I probably won't pay for Turner(2nd round in a 16 team?), there are numerous options all the way down the draft. McGahee in the 3rd? Bush or Thomas could be servicable. Matthews' backups could get some play. Hillis is a RB2 in my eyes for this league. He'll get the rock inside the 10 and is looking good behind that line.

WR: Tons of options. Decker, Thomas, Floyd, Meachem, Royal, Bowe, Baldwin, DJax, Maclin, Avant, Jones, White, Douglas, Bess. Can go early through late. I think the Philly receivers are going much too low and will be bargains.

TE: Some of the top are in this set, with Gates, Gonzalez, Tamme. Moaki could do well and is forgotten after his season on IR. Celek could be top 7, if one of the other options gets hurt or if Vick finally finds him. Even as it is, he does get the ball enough to make him a good option. I want to go early with this position, and possibly will go with 2 TE, which will fill my flex spot. Go Gronk or Graham in the first and go with a week 7 guy a bit later?

K/Def: No big deal either way, but I'd go with Denver or Philly for both if I could.

So what do you guys think? One, can I pull off a roster in a draft without reaching too much, and two, can it work for the season? I won't talk about injuries because they can hit anyone. But while the rest of the league struggles through the bye weeks with one or two starters down, I can be at full strength for all but my week of forefit.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -08-21-2012 at 03:25 AM.

I believe!