Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

General question...

Just to get the ball rolling.

Recently joined a league, (first timer, have NO clue what I'm doing), and inherited a team, as follows:

Aaron Brooks, Dante Culpepper, Ladanian Tomlinson, Willis McGahee, and Hines Ward.

Could be worse, I guess.

I'm allowed 16 or 17 players, and know I need a couple more receivers, (especially if Ward doesn't sign), but should I get another running back?
    Last edited by VegasRam; -08-02-2005 at 07:29 PM.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: General question...

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam

Recently joined a league, (first timer, have NO clue what I'm doing), and inherited a team, as follows:

Aaron Brooks, Dante Culpepper, Ladanian Tomlinson, Willis McGahee, and Hines Ward.

Could be worse, I guess.

I'm allowed 16 or 17 players, and know I need a couple more receivers, (especially if Ward doesn't sign), but should I get another running back?
    Other than a fantasy stud at QB, RBs are typically what can make or break your fantasy team, especially towards the end of the season and during playoffs, if you should get that far.

IMO you just can not have enough RBs.

WRs are very important as well since most leagues start 3. I like to have 5 WRs on my roster at all times if possible.

Bye weeks and injuries are major factors in doing well in fantasy leagues, so you need to look ahead and keep your roster updated.

The past two seasons I made it to the final four in the ClanRam FFL but was denied a chance in the title game by a bum performance from my starting QB.

Thanks FERTER.

As for the rest of you guys...:tongue:

Just kidding, although I thought I'd get a whole BUNCH of opinions.

C'mon, help a guy out.

Sheesh...where's the love?:smoke:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hey, I'd love to help a brother out, but I don't know the first thing about it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You have Culpepper and LT on your team? Very nice.

It's hard to give specific advice without knowing more about your league, including how many owners there are, the scoring system, and who else has been taken, but I would definitely add at least two more running backs, one more legit starter if you can find him. If you're looking for a guy to just fill in for one week while your 'back has a bye, you might want to look at teams like Tenn, Chicago, etc etc who have at least two good backs who will probably get some production and see if both of them have been taken.

You really need to beef up that receiver area. Pittsburgh isn't a great passing team to begin with, so I wouldn't consider Ward a huge FF receiver. Obviously the Indy guys stand out, but Manning spreads the ball around so much it's hard to tell who's going to help you most or if you can rely on Stokely for another 1,000 yard season. I would look at guys like Andre Johnson, Michael Clayton, Nate Burleson, Roy Williams (Det), and Jerry Porter as receivers who probably aren't considered at the top of their position but will probably have good seasons and who may be available.

Don't forget about very solid second receivers like Bruce, Fitzgerald, Charles Rogers/Mike Williams, and Donald Driver, either. And if your team allows tight ends (or requires them), there are plenty of good ones to choose from. The big names are obvious - Gonzalez, Gates, Crumpler. But also look at guys like Dallas Clark, Jason Witten, Marcus Pollard, and maybe even Doug Jolley with the Jets as a consolation prize. I didn't list Shockey for a reason - because Shockey has had a habit of not finding the end zone.

You may want to try and pick up a better second QB than Brooks, who I personally don't think is anything special. There are plenty of QBs who are primed to have good seasons but aren't at the top of the QB draft board, so you could take a gamble with one of them (Carr, Harrington, Palmer, Losman). Some will be hit and miss, but could be worth taking a shot at.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm not going to give out any "ClanRam Cup" secrets here but I would say that if Lamont Jordon RB of Oakland is available take him.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Could be worse, I guess.

I had Tomlinson last year and he is a good RB to have. You definitely need two RBs since there will be bye weeks and injuries. Get two QBs also.

You will need to research players, run through the stats and figure out what stats get points in your league. Keep in mind that there are rookies out there and that players that had good stats last year may not repeat the performance in the current year due to player changes, team changes, etc.

I am not sure that I know what I am doing most the time. I seem to score a lot of points during the season but lose some close games. Gotta work on my win ratio.

Good luck Vegas. Pick a good team name. Don't pick a lame name like the visitors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks guys.:up:

Just the stuff I wanted to know. It's a serpentine draft, and I'm 9th in the 1st, then 3rd in the 2nd, and so on.

Right now, in light of the good info I got, I figure to go 1) WR, 2)WR, 3)QB, 4) RB, 5)WR; after that don't really know.

Also, where should I draft a defense?

Oh, and Blitz - picked the "Scorpions" 'cuz I'm in Vegas and never saw one 'til I moved here, where I've now seen more than I want to.

Oh, and Blitz - picked the "Scorpions" 'cuz I'm in Vegas and never saw one 'til I moved here, where I've now seen more than I want to.
    The Scorpions is a good name. I give it a :up:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Never go WR first...you should probably draft as follows...1)RB 2)RB 3)QB 4)WR 5)WR. Because RB are at a premium and they generally score the most points in a given week, you shouldreally get 2 starting quality RB's in the first 2 rounds. Then worry about the QB's. The worry about the WR's who are generally the most unpredictable of the "skill" positions. JMO

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    Never go WR first...you should probably draft as follows...1)RB 2)RB 3)QB 4)WR 5)WR. Because RB are at a premium and they generally score the most points in a given week, you shouldreally get 2 starting quality RB's in the first 2 rounds. Then worry about the QB's. The worry about the WR's who are generally the most unpredictable of the "skill" positions. JMO
    Rawk - you know I already have 2 RB's, right? so, as I see it, with 17 players, get:

5 RBs

4 WRs

3 QBs

2 TE

2 Defense

1 Kicker

So...draft goes like this: RB, RB, RB, QB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF, DEF,
    Last edited by VegasRam; -08-04-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Never go WR first...
    Unless he already has two very solid ones on his roster, which he does. :tongue:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Well, never mind then....my bad. I read the whole thread and then forgot that you already had players on the roster. oops....complete brain fart on my part. Please forgive.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

Well, never mind then....my bad. I read the whole thread and then forgot that you already had players on the roster. oops....complete brain fart on my part. Please forgive.
    Sorry Rawk, we offer no forgiveness here.....your brain fart has been recorded.hone:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So...draft goes like this: RB, RB, RB, QB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF, DEF,
    So Vegas, have you figured out how many players can be active each week, and which positions they are? That may impact your draft thoughts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast