WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

I just don't get it

I know it's a little early to be talking about fantasy football but I got my first fantasy football magazine in the mail a few days ago.

The part I don't get is the disrespect that Torry Holt receives.

The top 5 from this mag is
    Randy Moss
    Terrell Owens
    Marvin Harrison
    Torry Holt
    Chad Johnson

IMO Holt is far and away no. 1 and I don't say that because I'm a RAMS fan.

Stats tell the story

Three-year avg.

Moss
    89 rec, 1248 yds, 12 TD's

Owens
    86 rec, 1201 yds, 12 TD's

Harrison
    108 rec, 1369 yds, 12 TD's

Holt
    101 rec, 1457 yds, 9 TD's

Now with the exception of Harrison the top two were the only options their respective teams had and Harrison's teammates didn't really pitch in til last season. Holt on the other hand plays among many quality players and yes he is the go to guy but there is plenty of other options for Bulger. How can no one see this. How is he overlooked time after time. On the other side of the field is Bruce (a Pro-Bowler), for the Vikings it was ???, for the Eagles is was Pinkston? and for the Colts it was Wayne or Stoakley. Tell me how is Holt not considered the best receiver in the game. The balance he shows while playing with many Pro-Bowlers and against D's that are constantly trying to stop the RAMS high-potent offense makes me believe without bias that he is the best receiver in the game. He may not be the biggest but he puts up the best numbers overall. He is definately the most underated receiver in the game.

I could throw this gripe in the main forum but since my facts cam from a fantasy mag I figured this was the correct forum.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: I just don't get it

Holt's stats are up there, but he needs more TDs to move up in the fantasy world. TDs are worth a lot of points in many leagues.

You can't consider player analysis from the fantasy football experts to match the true worth of a player. Fantasy football looks only at statistics. It does not look at the complete picture. Bruce's output actually hurts Holt's fantasy stats, but the Rams are far better off for having both of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's my point Utter, he puts up the numbers while having to be nice and share with others while other recivers don't. If Holt was the only option at receiver I think his numbers would be astronomical. And only being 3 TD's behind is far stretch when he's averaging nearly 1500 yds a season. I wasn't really directing this at fantasy football but since it was from my magazine I figured this was the correct forum. Thanks for the input.

I still think Holt is the best receiver in the league.

thoey is offline Registered User

I agree with Utter on this. From a Fantasy owner stand point, he would need more TD's to be a contender for that top spot. Matter of fact, in our system, Holt was tied for number 5...

Avl All Pos Player, Team Opp Inj Att Yds TD TTA Rec Yds TD GP Avg Total Last
    no 21 1 M. Muhammad, chi @was 3 15 0 10.5 93 1405 16 16 14.3 228 21
    no 26 2 J. Horn, no @car 0 0 0 10.3 94 1399 11 16 12.9 207 15
    no 29 3 T. Owens, phi @atl 3 -5 0 9.4 77 1200 14 14 14.6 204 0
    no 30 4 J. Walker, gb @det 0 0 0 9.1 89 1380 12 16 12.6 202 14
    no 32 5 D. Bennett, ten @pit 1 12 0 9.2 80 1247 11 16 12.3 197 11
    no 32 5 T. Holt, stl @sf 0 0 0 8.9 94 1372 10 16 12.3 196 25
    no 35 7 M. Harrison, ind @bal 0 0 0 9.3 86 1113 15 16 12.1 194 9
    no 42 8 R. Wayne, ind @bal 1 -4 0 7.9 77 1210 12 16 11.8 189 17
    no 52 9 C. Johnson, cin @cle 4 39 0 11.1 95 1274 9 16 11.3 181 7
    YES 62 10 D. Driver, gb @det 3 4 0 9.2 84 1208 9 16 10.4 166 4
    This space for rent...

All those receivers above Holt are the only receivers on the team. Holt has to share the ball and still produces numbers. Of course he is going to have the TD's of the other players but let's see how Muhammed does in Chicago.

Muhammed, Horn, Owens, Walker, Bennett--can you name the receiver on the other side?? and did they produce like Bruce? Maybe Driver in G.B., but for the rest of those guys they are the only ones that were thrown to. Of course you will have more TD's when you are the only option.

I really wasn't trying to make a fantasy anaylysis here, just looking at the stats and realizing just how underrated Holt is in this league.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by WisRamsFan
    .... just looking at the stats and realizing just how underrated Holt is in this league.
    He is underrated. I can't believe he did not go to the Pro Bowl last year. Perhaps it is because he is not showy and attention seeking. He is getting some attention though. They did bring him to the draft and he did get "sacked".
    :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interestingly enough, when asked on SportsCenter's Budweiser Hot Seat who the best receivers in the league were, Bengals WR Chad Johnson began his list with Marvin Harrison, followed by none other than Torry Holt.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Well, at least he has the respect of the other players even it the Media (seemingly hates the RAMS) doesn't recognize his talent. And yes, if he was more in the news for antics maybe he would get the exposure. I guess I would rather have a great receiver who stays out of trouble/negative limelight even if it means he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Michael Smith, who I believe writes for the Boston Globe, said today on Cold Pizza's 1st and 10 that if given the choice between Owens, Harrison, Holt, and I think Randy Moss, he would take Holt over them all.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams Jerseys

Wisconsin! Good to see you, it's been a while (or maybe is't just me not sleeping for a couple of nights in a row).

fftopic: Sorry, never did get involved in Fantasy Football; don't know what it is or what it does.

I just want to ask you about the terrific Rams Jerseys thread you had on ClanRam a couple of yars ago?

Sure would like to see it back! I have the entire list of comprehensive info on names and numbers as it appeared on the thread. Shall we renew it? We have all of last year's numbers to update you know.

Gracias...

thoey is offline Registered User

Well, I don't consider the magazine as giving Holt disrespect, as from their stand point Holt was top five. Yes, it hurts him that there are so many other good receivers on the Rams, but that is just like it hurts a running back when they have a by committee approach.

If I was picking my own real team, Holt would be one of the top receivers I would take, but when drafting a fantasy team, he drops a bit to those receivers that have more chances at the ball.
    Last edited by thoey; -05-31-2005 at 11:06 AM.
    This space for rent...