ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

for anyone who thinks the U is only a thug school

i havent seen it much on this board, but some of you probably think miami is a thug school...

CaneSport News Wire

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
    Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Every men's and women's University of Miami sports team surpassed the minimum standard needed in the NCAA's Academic Progress Report (APR) released today. The minimum standard of 925 represents a score of 92.5 percent as calculated by measuring retention rates and student-athlete eligibility.

The current data consists of all student-athletes on each team for the 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07 academic years. In the four years that the APR has been complied, Miami has never been subject to any penalties for not meeting the mandated minimum requirements.

Standing out in academic accomplishment amongst their peer sports teams were men's cross country and men's outdoor track which scored in the 90th to 100th percentile and football and men's indoor track which ranked in the 80th to 90th percentile.

Each scholarship student-athlete may earn one point for being eligible and one point for retention per semester for a total of four points per academic year. The total points are then divided by the number of potential points each team could have earned. That percentage is then multiplied by 1000 to provide each team with its APR. As mentioned, the NCAA has established 925 as the cut-off mark. Any team below that standard may be subject to penalties.

"Our coaches, student-athletes and academic support staff are to be commended on the APR scores," said UM Director of Athletics Paul Dee. "The scores are a reflection of the dedication of the student-athletes and their understanding of the importance of academics."

"Our athletic department prides itself on academic achievement and our APR scores are a direct reflection of the commitment of our student-athletes, coaches and academic support staff, " Dee said.

MEN'S SPORTS

Baseball 953

Basketball 948

Cross Country 1000

Football 969

Swimming (diving) 964

Tennis 970

Indoor Track 987

Outdoor Track 990

WOMEN'S SPORTS

Basketball 980

Cross Country 934

Golf 992

Rowing 985

Soccer 972

Swimming 976

Tennis 977

Indoor Track 970

Outdoor Track 970

Volleyball 985

this, and the disclipline that shannon is putting on the football team is really great, we havent had a player arrested last season and im proud to say florida AND florida state did have a few...

hey avenger, i know your an alum, are you a fan of the football team? if so what are your thoughts?

Built RAM tough

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: for anyone who thinks the U is only a thug school

I went to law school there. I root for them, but I wouldn't say I'm a diehard. My undergrad school, Tufts University, is a Division III school, so UM is really the only major program I am affiliated with (though my wife went to Florida, so I guess I'm in a mixed marriage).

UM has definitely cleaned up its act. If they can get back to winning ways without compromising their academic standards, that would be a very good thing. I read that this year's recruiting class is considered one of the nation's best, so they might be on their way to achieving this goal.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, at least no on was accused of stealing a dead coeds credit card while helping her parents clean up her dorm room in October of last year and continue to use it for 5 months.

Oh wait, that did happen just not at Miami. It was up the road in Gainesville at Florida. Those darn Gators, they are so crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, at least no on was accused of stealing a dead coeds credit card while helping her parents clean up her dorm room in October of last year and continue to use it for 5 months.

Oh wait, that did happen just not at Miami. It was up the road in Gainesville at Florida. Those darn Gators, they are so crazy.
    man for the past year gaotrs players have been getting arrested left and right.
    Built RAM tough

Josh Guest

I am transfering to miami from Florida A&M University Next Fall. Just thought you would like to know.

oh yeah? you play any sports? thats cool im a die hard miami fan
    Built RAM tough

Josh Guest

nah. but I sure do love sports. Hurt my knee real bad in high school, that ended my shot at sports.

well i think you like it here, i love south florida, the canes recently moved to dolphin stadium so now their stadium wont be in the middle of the ghetto, last year we used to park outside of the stadium parking and youd have to walk through a couple neighborhoods to get there. but i can get to dolphin stadium fairly easy and my friends dad is a luxury suite salesman in dolphin stadium, so he gets free tickets to every event in any sport, any south florida stadium, its pretty cool.
    Built RAM tough

Josh Guest

i will miss the orange bowl. i hope the magic carries over.