Aug. 17, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

JONESBORO, Ark. -- Arkansas State backup quarterback Devin Hollins has been practicing with the team while facing court appearances stemming from two arrests this summer -- including one after he allegedly beat up his girlfriend.

Advertisement

According to police reports, Hollins was arrested and cited for third-degree battery by campus police July 4 and for shoplifting by Jonesboro police Aug. 5. The unrelated events are misdemeanors. He faces court appearances Monday; coach Steve Roberts has allowed him at practice since drills opened Aug. 7.

"I'm not going to comment on the nature of the issue except to tell you that he has been disciplined and that his discipline is ongoing at this point," Roberts said Tuesday.

Hollins and his girlfriend, Shaquita Y. Butler, got into an argument July 4, but their accounts on what happened after that differ.

"He pushed and hit me numerous times," Butler said in a statement to police. "I begged him to stop but he didn't. ... He threw me down on the concrete and drug me by my leg through Dean Street and finally he dumped me in a muddy puddle of water near the curb."

Hollins said he dropped only a little bit of water on Butler ... "and she kicked my driver side door. During that I pushed and pushed her several times away from my car door and she kept trying to throw rocks and other things she can find to throw at my car. Then I left."

On Aug. 5, Jonesboro police said, Hollins drank a $1.49 pint of chocolate milk at a grocery store without paying for it, then threw the empty container away on Aisle 19.

Hollins appeared in five games for Arkansas State last season and attempted 26 passes.

Roberts said the arrests would not affect his playing time at this point. The Indians open the season Sept. 3 against Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved