txramsfan is offline Registered User

Arrogance and Memphis? Not anymore`

With Calipari leaving for Kentucky, I guess you can take the "arrogance" tag off the University of Memphis Tigers. However, USC fans hope you aren't too comfortable with Tim Floyd. Rumor has it Memphis is willing to pay either him or Mike Anderson from Missouri 2.5 million to coach the Tigers. Currently, Floyd is making 600K playing second fiddle to UCLA and Anderson is only making 850K at Mizzou. Say what you want, but dollars do talk.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Arrogance and Memphis? Not anymore`

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    With Calipari leaving for Kentucky, I guess you can take the "arrogance" tag off the University of Memphis Tigers. However, USC fans hope you aren't too comfortable with Tim Floyd. Rumor has it Memphis is willing to pay either him or Mike Anderson from Missouri 2.5 million to coach the Tigers. Currently, Floyd is making 600K playing second fiddle to UCLA and Anderson is only making 850K at Mizzou. Say what you want, but dollars do talk.
    Dollars do talk Tx, but so does tradition and "elite" jobs. I certainly can't fault Calipari for accepting the coaching position at a legendary, storied program like Kentucky, nor could I fault Floyd for leaving a school that is always going to be football first. Who knows, maybe the next Memphis coach can keep the arrogance thing going, even though I think it's a mistake to take that stance when you can't back it up.

Fine, go ahead and kick but Memphis has an elite status, dating all the way back to the 70's. It's a major basketball town and a very attractive job for a lot of coaches out there. Don't think they won't jump for 1.5 million more, and that's just the starting salary. You win, it could go up to 4 million. Memphis will sign a big name coach and I hope those nasty four letters that starts with an E and ends with SPN chokes on it.

For me, Calipari leaving Memphis is the blackest day in my sports watching history. Worse than anything the Rams have ever done.

Fine, go ahead and kick but Memphis has an elite status, dating all the way back to the 70's. It's a major basketball town and a very attractive job for a lot of coaches out there. Don't think they won't jump for 1.5 million more, and that's just the starting salary. You win, it could go up to 4 million. Memphis will sign a big name coach and I hope those nasty four letters that starts with an E and ends with SPN chokes on it.

For me, Calipari leaving Memphis is the blackest day in my sports watching history. Worse than anything the Rams have ever done.
    I agree with you Tx, Memphis has a great hisory of college basketball. I'll always remember the second championship game I watched back in 1973 when the Tigers, coached by Gene Bartow and led by a great Larry Keenon, played one of the greatest UCLA teams ever.

As far as kicking anything, I'll kick bragging and arrogance every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That crap should be left to the likes of classless schools like SC and Miami.

I am not so sure Calipari is a good fit for Kentucky. He to me was always a better "us against the world" type of coach. Once he became the hunted instead of the hunter, the Tigers weren't that crisp. At Kentucky, he will be the hunted on an every game basis by teams much better than let's say SMU or Houston.

Also, is UK going to accept the talent Memphis did? Let's face it, he recruited one year then NBA players mostly. Memphis embraced that, will Kentucky? We shall see. I wish him well he did great for my alma mater but honestly, I don't think in the long run this is the best for him.

I am not so sure Calipari is a good fit for Kentucky. He to me was always a better "us against the world" type of coach. Once he became the hunted instead of the hunter, the Tigers weren't that crisp. At Kentucky, he will be the hunted on an every game basis by teams much better than let's say SMU or Houston.

Also, is UK going to accept the talent Memphis did? Let's face it, he recruited one year then NBA players mostly. Memphis embraced that, will Kentucky? We shall see. I wish him well he did great for my alma mater but honestly, I don't think in the long run this is the best for him.
    I think Calipari can thrive at Kentucky, where it's all about winning at whatever cost these days.

Well, Memphis isn't out of it yet. The boosters matched the UK offer and Calipari is wavering. He was supposed to make his announcement this afternoon but has postponed it for now.

Jury is still out. I will say this, it's 90 percent he's going to UK BUT if he stays at Memphis, that city and team will run though a brick wall for him.
    I'd like to see him stay at Memphis because as I've said before, I'm a Calipari fan and I absolutely despise Kentucky. They're EVIL!