DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Auburn takes over third behind steady Trojans, Sooners in BCS

Nov. 1, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

Auburn moved into third place in the Bowl Championship Series on Monday, while Southern California and Oklahoma held firmly to the top two spots.

Auburn takes over third in latest BCS

BCS Standings
    Team Rating
    1. Southern California .9895
    2. Oklahoma .9648
    3. Auburn .9238
    4. California .8050
    5. Wisconsin .7579
    6. Utah .7429
    7. Texas .7370
    8. Tennessee .7124
    9. Georgia .7019
    10. Miami .6530
    The Tigers had been in fourth place in the first two BCS standings, but they took advantage of Miami's upset loss Saturday to creep closer to the front-runners.

California moved up four spots to fourth and is followed by Wisconsin and Utah.

Miami and Florida State, which was also upset on the road Saturday, fell out of the BCS top five for the first time this season.

The top two teams in the BCS standings after the regular season will meet in the Orange Bowl on Jan. 4.

USC, which has been in first place since the initial BCS standings three weeks ago, has a grade of .9895. The Trojans are No. 1 in The Associated Press Top 25 and the coaches poll. They are also tied with Oklahoma for the best computer ranking this week.

The Sooners, No. 2 in both polls all season, have a grade of .9648. Auburn's grade is .9238, placing third in each poll and the computer rankings.

Advertisement

The AP media poll and coaches poll each count for one-third of a team's BCS grade. Total points received in the polls are taken into account. A compilation of six computer rankings make up the other third of a grade, with the highest and lowest computer rankings for each team thrown out.

There are six unbeaten teams in Division I-A -- USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, Wisconsin, Utah and Boise State.

Auburn's BCS ranking is the highest in school history, but the Tigers may not have their national title hopes in their own hands. Even if they finish the season unbeaten with a victory in the Southeastern Conference championship game, the Tigers might need a loss by either USC or Oklahoma to reach the Orange Bowl.

A difficult remaining schedule could work in Auburn's favor, if the Tigers can survive it. They're off this week before playing Georgia (ninth in the BCS) at home on Nov. 13; at Alabama on the No. 20; and the SEC title game against either Georgia or Tennessee (eighth in the BCS) on Dec. 4.

A separate strength of schedule component was removed from the BCS standings this season, but the computer rankings still take schedule strength into account, as do most poll voters.

Utah, from the Mountain West Conference, could become the first team from a mid-major league to earn a bid to one of the four BCS games by finishing in the top six.

The Utes have a grade of .7429. Texas (.7370) is seventh.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Auburn takes over third behind steady Trojans, Sooners in BCS

Auburn is the best football team in the Nation. To have them ranked third is a crime. The SEC top to bottom is much better than the PAC 10 or the Big 12.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Auburn is the best football team in the Nation. To have them ranked third is a crime. The SEC top to bottom is much better than the PAC 10 or the Big 12.
    The SEC is better than the PAC 10, no question. But they are not better than the Big 12. The fact that Miss, Ms St, Vandy, Kentucky, & Ark. all reside in the SEC already cheapens the contenders. As I stated earlier, Auburn has only played two real games, a thin win over LSU and a big win over a vastly over-rated Tenn.

Hey, don't get me wrong, if they want to take USC's spot in the championship game, I got no problem with it. Oklahoma will beat either one of them anyway.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Arkansas has played people tough. The Big 12 North is a joke. There is no one in the North that could hang with even Vanderbilt.

Arkansas has played people tough. The Big 12 North is a joke. There is no one in the North that could hang with even Vanderbilt.
    The North does, indeed pale in comparison to the South. However, Vandy wouldn't win a game in the North or South.

The Hogs did give Texas a good game, though, I'll give you that. They lost, but it was a good game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Allright, since we're comparing conferences now. Here's how the Div I-A conferences played against teams outside their own conference. The following is the winning percentage for out-of-conference games for each conference:

1. Big XII - .778
    2. Big 10 - .727
    3. ACC - .724
    4. SEC - .706
    5. PAC 10 - .621
    6. Big East - .600
    7. Mt. West - .500
    8. C-USA - .483
    9. WAC - .452
    10. Sun Belt - .257
    11. MAC - .244

I'll still take Auburn over anyone in the Big 12

As is your right to do so. For me, I'll take Oklahoma over any SEC or PAC 10 team. Hopefully, ND or UCLA can trip up the overrated Trojans and we'll find out if Auburn can step up to meet Oklahoma (assuming they get through Georgia & The Iron Bowl).

What I don't understand is how Utah DROPPED?! They're undefeated and are handily beating the teams on their schedule. The BCS is a load of crap.
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Because Texas would beat the rip out of Utah.

Tx, your Auburn Tigers are looking mighty good against Georgia. As I write, it is 14-0 in Auburn's favor and it could just as easily be 24-0. These guys are good. I hope USC loses one, because I would love to see Auburn and Okie.

On a sidenote, I bet Martz would love to get his hands on Ronnie Brown. That kid has got some serious versatility. I know, I know, there are about a million things we need before a utility running back, but I could see Martz getting pretty creative with him in the backfield.

Because Texas would beat the rip out of Utah.
    Just like they ripped lowly Kansas? :tongue:

But, again, no playoff, so we'll never know.
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ