Aug. 5, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Former South Carolina defensive lineman Moe Thompson, who is facing burglary charges, was granted permission Friday by a judge to continue his college football career at Grambling State.

Advertisement

Thompson had been under electronic monitoring and house arrest since his arrest this past March. Soon after, new Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier kicked Thompson off the team.

Thompson's attorney, Hemphill Pride, brought a motion asking that the 21-year-old have his bond conditions changed to allow him to leave the state to play his senior season at the Division I-AA school in Louisiana. He showed Barber a letter from Grambling State coach Melvin Spears offering Thompson a scholarship.

Circuit Judge James Barber agreed to let Thompson play.

"Since he's been on bond, his behavior has indicated he has not gotten himself in trouble," Barber said.

Barber ordered that Thompson can travel between South Carolina and Louisiana, and go on road trips but only with the Tigers football team. Thompson also must check in with authorities by phone once a week.

A hearing is scheduled for Sept. 1 at which Thompson is to decide on a plea and whether he wants a jury trial. He is not required to attend that hearing in person.

Thompson faces from 15 years to life if convicted of the charges, deputy prosecutor John Meadors said.

In February, Thompson was suspended when he was charged in an early morning break-in at a campus dorm. Freshman tackle Kevin Mainord also was charged.

Police say Thompson and Mainord broke into at least one dorm room and took several items, including a television and DVD player.

Thompson was a dominant defender for South Carolina at times. He made the all-SEC freshman team in 2002. The next season he tied for the team lead with five sacks. He started 11 games last season but made only 28 tackles.

By transferring from a Division I-A school to a Division I-AA, Thompson will be able to play immediately for Grambling. NCAA rules require players sit out a year when they transfer within Division I-A.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved