Redshirt-freshman to return to squad next week

Sept. 2, 2005

University of Illinois Head Football Coach Ron Zook announced today that redshirt-freshman quarterback Kisan Flakes will be reinstated to the Illini football team beginning Monday, Sept. 5. The Lovejoy, Ga., native was previously suspended for violation of team rules. He will be suspended from game action for the first part of the season, but can rejoin the team in daily workouts.

"Kisan is very remorseful," Zook said. "He understands he made a very serious mistake. We're going to give him an opportunity to come back and be a part of this program. Kisan knows that he cannot so much as blink wrong. He can't be late to a class, he can't miss a class. It's zero tolerance.

"Starting Monday, he'll be suspended for the first part of the season. We're going to work him back in at his speed," Zook continued. "The team would like to have him back and we'd like to have him back as long as he does the things that he supposed to do. He will start practice on Monday, and he will sit out a minimum of three games.

"I talked with Coach (Ron) Guenther, I wanted to do the right thing for the program, and I wanted to do the right thing for him as well," Zook added. "I talked to a few players, because it's important. This is their team. To a man, the ones I talked to, they were for bringing him back."