Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

GBN: What to Watch This Weekend (8/31-9/2)

GAME OF THE WEEK:
    Who to watch in college football this weekend

(Ed. note: Each week we take a look at the best games and players to watch in nationally televised college football games with an eye toward the 2007 draft.)

August 31-September 2

While the NFL wraps up the pre-season this weekend, the college season kicks off with a number of intriguing games on the schedule. The big game on the college board, of course, is what is turning out to be the annual early season ACC shoot-out between Miami and Florida State on Monday. We'll be back Monday morning with a special preview on who to watch in that one.

Meanwhile, pro scouts will no doubt be trekking to Columbus on Saturday afternoon when Ohio State hosts Northern Illinois (3:30 PM ET; ABC regional). There will be plenty of chances this fall to scout Ohio State - see next week’s monster game versus Texas - so the player pro scouts really want to see in this one is NIU OT Doug Free (#62, 6-6, 305), arguably the most athletic LT prospect to come along in a while. The Huskies also feature one of the most explosive backs in college football in RB Garrett Wolfe (#1, 5-7, 175), although he isn’t very big.

In fact, the great thing about many early season games is that while they may resemble blow outs on the scoreboard, they give draft watchers a chance to look at players from unfashionable programs going against quality opposition. That's the case later tonight, for example, when Boston College opens the season with a visit to Central Michigan (6 PM ET; ESPN2) where a national audience will get a rare chance to see a couple of very good CMU prospects in DE Dan Bazuin (#93, 6-3, 270), the leading returning sacker in college football, along with OT Joe Staley (#73, 6-5, 300) one of the more athletic LT prospects in the country.

The NFL draft has historically been pretty much dominated by BCS schools, however, there appears to be growing parity in college football. And two of the better draft classes outside the ranks of BCS programs will be on display Friday night when #19 (on our pre-season ranking of 2007 draft classes) Fresno State hosts #24 Nevada (10:00 PM ET; ESPN2). The Bulldogs, for example, are anchored by C Kyle Young (#59, 6-5, 330), arguably the top-rated prospect at the position for the upcoming draft. Fresno State also has a number of very good second-tier prospects including junior RB Dwayne Wright (#32, 6-0, 220), WR Paul Williams (#1, 6-1, 210), CB Marcus McCauley (#17, 6-0, 205), LB Dwayne Andrews (#51, 6-0, 240), and run-stuffing DT Louis Leonard (#98, 6-3, 330). Meanwhile, Nevada will be led by a very good second-tier QB in rangy Jeff Rowe (#3, 6-5, 220), while CB Joe Garcia (#23, 5-11, 185) is an underrated cover corner and DE/LB J.J. Milan (#91, 6-5, 265) is a disruptive edge rusher.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: GBN: What to Watch This Weekend (8/31-9/2)

I have a player to watch tonight .... Miami (U) Quarterback Kyle Wright
    RamsFan16

I'll probably keep an eye out on Miami FS Brandon Meriweather, DE Baraka Atkins, maybe DT Kareem Brown, and FSU LB Buster Davis. Should be a great game though, even if you're not watching for individual players.

Oh yea, also Brandon Meriweather.

Will he play SS do you think Nick?
    RamsFan16

He could play both I believe, though his hitting ability certainly makes him appealing at strong safety. There's a school of thought that his athleticism makes him a candidate for a move to corner even, but I"m not sure I buy into that.

He's definitely a prospect to keep your eye on as a Rams fan, though I'm a bit biased against him because of this from a few seasons ago (quality is kind of poor, but that's basically WVU running back Quincy Wilson making Meriweather look like a fool). Plus, that whole thing with the gun kind of irks me a bit, given Miami's reputation.

I'm personally more of a fan of LaRon Landry, and while I personally like Michael Griffin a lot, I would likely rank Meriweather right behind Landry when it's all said and done (of course that's all dependent on what kind of seasons they actually have).

I just think Meriweather has a lot of hype around him with all these Ed Reed comparisons, so he's going to have to win me over a bit this season. I'll be anxious to see him tonight.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-04-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Wow! Quincy Wilson is a monster! HOw many years ago was that thougH? He has improved I'd think!
    RamsFan16

That was in 2003 so it was a while ago. I'm sure he's made vast improvements, but I just can't think of Meriweather without thinking about him getting rolled over by Wilson.

Of course not, you probrably watched that game. Sean Taylor got ran over by Greg Jones and is doing great in the NFL, so things change.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Of course not, you probrably watched that game.
    Yeah we had a huge crowd at my apartment for that one.

I have a question. Are you a huge Rams Fan because Bulger came from WV? Or were you always a Rams Fan?
    RamsFan16

I've been a Rams fan since I was old enough to seriously follow football, which was before Marc Bulger joined the team. Most people from Morgantown cheer for the Steelers since Pittsburgh is so close, but I never got into them. I blame it on overexposure, and plus it never made sense to me to hate Pittsburgh in college ball but to cheer for the Steelers.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-04-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Anyone going to be in the Chatroom or on AIM for this game? I'm on AIM and the Chatroom!
    RamsFan16

Didn't think to mention this since I was listing prospects for this year's class, but Kenny Phillips is another guy to watch for in this game. Really great safety prospect for either the '08 or '09 class.