Field Dedication Ceremony Will Be At The Alabama Game Nov. 19

Sept. 16, 2005

Auburn, Ala. - The Auburn University Board of Trustees passed a resolution Friday to name the field at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Pat Dye Field, after the former legendary Auburn football coach and athletics director. Dye, who was the head coach and athletics director at Auburn from 1981-92, will be honored at the field dedication ceremony during the Alabama game Nov. 19.

"I am extremely surprised and humbled by the passing of this resolution by the Auburn Board of Trustees," Dye said. "I really never thought anything like this would happen. If I could have picked anything to have my name on, it would be the field. That will be here forever. It is kind of overwhelming to tell you the truth."

Dye, who will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in December, posted a 153-62-5 record in 19 years as a Division I head coach, including a 99-39-4 record in 12 seasons at Auburn.

"This is such a fitting tribute to honor someone like Coach Dye, who has had such an incredible impact on Auburn athletics," said Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs. "Coach Dye was instrumental in returning the Auburn football program back to respectability and prominence of the Coach Jordan Era, and he also played an important part in brining the Alabama game to Jordan-Hare Stadium. Coach Dye continues to be an ambassador not only for Auburn Athletics, but for Auburn University."

Auburn won four Southeastern Conference Championships under Dye's leadership, claiming league crowns in 1983, 1987, 1988 and 1989. In a nine-year span from 1982-90, Dye directed Auburn to an 84-22-3 record and a .784 winning percentage, the third best in the country during that time.

Under Dye, Auburn posted four 10-win seasons and won six bowl games in nine appearances. A three-time SEC Coach of the Year and 1983 National Coach of the Year, Dye is one of only seven coaches in college football history to have coached a winner of the Heisman Trophy (Bo Jackson, 1985), Outland Trophy (Tracy Rocker, 1988) and Lombardi Award (Tracy Rocker, 1988).

At Auburn, Dye coached 21 All-Americans, 71 All-SEC players and 48 Academic All-SEC players.