Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Memphis has motivational tool

i know mike, it's cool. UCLA just wasn't the same team as last year. I watched them play Texas here and it was a close game.

No, I couldn't wait. I'm not worried about how classy athletes are anymore. There is only one Tyler Hansbrough (whom I have known since he was 5). Memphis really didn't whine all that much, the media made it out more than what Memphis actually cared and after this round seeds don't matter.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It's all good Tx. I'm sure we'll a few more exchanges before it's all over.

Hey mike, I thought it was rotten that UCLA had to play Villanova in Philly. What was your impression of that?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Hey mike, I thought it was rotten that UCLA had to play Villanova in Philly. What was your impression of that?
    I think it gave an unfair advantage, but it's going to happen every so often with the complexities of the seeding process. Probably a bigger disadvantage was the time differential UCLA had to deal with. Then again, if they had played better during the season, they would have gotten a better seed and perhaps the chance to play out West. That said, I didn't have high hopes for the Bruins in the tournamant this year.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I think it gave an unfair advantage, but it's going to happen every so often with the complexities of the seeding process. Probably a bigger disadvantage was the time differential UCLA had to deal with. Then again, if they had played better during the season, they would have gotten a better seed and perhaps the chance to play out West. That said, I didn't have high hopes for the Bruins in the tournamant this year.
    Mike,

I'm a UCLA fan also and have been for about 100 years. This 2009 version was one of the weakest I've seen in quite a while. I was hoping they could beat Villanova but didn't expect it. See if they had beaten Villanova I would have been at UCLA's next game in Boston. Myself and 3 friends of mine are going to Boston for the Sweet 16 round on Thursday and then back on Saturday for the Elite eight round.

Oh well, we'll have to suffer watching Duke vs. Villanova and Xavier vs. Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Mike,

I'm a UCLA fan also and have been for about 100 years. This 2009 version was one of the weakest I've seen in quite a while. I was hoping they could beat Villanova but didn't expect it. See if they had beaten Villanova I would have been at UCLA's next game in Boston. Myself and 3 friends of mine are going to Boston for the Sweet 16 round on Thursday and then back on Saturday for the Elite eight round.

Oh well, we'll have to suffer watching Duke vs. Villanova and Xavier vs. Pitt.

Yep, UCLA was pretty bad this year laram0. Too bad they had to pick a year that you had the opportunity to see them to go in the tank. What is your opinion of Ben Howland these days? I'm not liking what I'm seeing from him.

Getting back to Memphis, they'll need all the motivation they can get when their probable matchup against UConn comes around. The Tigers have been thwowing a lot of swagger around and we'll see if they're the real deal against the Huskies, who are looking absolutely unbeatable this year.

Memphis swagger.....well I just don't understand? They were excited to ESCAPE Northridge and they are college kids, I get that it might have upset some of you on the left coast but think what Memphis has endured all year.

1. Constantly being called inferior by the media because of their conference affiliation but still ends up ranked #2 or #3 in the polls at the end of the year and still gets a #2 seed.

2. 3 seniors on the team have more wins than anyone in the history of the NCAA but no one talks about that.

3. 4th year in a row with 30 plus wins and no one talks about that.

4. Has someone from Maryland diss them so they go out and blow doors but everyone still doesn't think they are good enough.

Wouldn't that make you have a chip on your shoulder? You better get them this year because next year this team may go undefeated. They have the #1, #4, and #7 recruit coming in.

Tx, your sig quote says it all. If Memphis beats UConn, they'll have backed up the swagger and proved their case. If not.....

Well, it's because all frikin year they have been beat down by the media and so the coach isn't supposed to say what he said to back up his players?

I hate the BCSness of the basketball season. Ok, call whatever the hell you want. If you consider it swagger fine. I don't. I consider it swinging back from getting pushed around by all the BCS conferences. I mean c'mon mike, you have to see that.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-24-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Missouri poses a big problem for Memphis. They are deep, have excellent guards, pick you up all over the floor, and can shoot the lights out.

Every game from now on will be a tough one, I just hope the Tigers rise up and play like they did last year in the 16 and 8 round and see what happens.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Yep, UCLA was pretty bad this year laram0. Too bad they had to pick a year that you had the opportunity to see them to go in the tank. What is your opinion of Ben Howland these days? I'm not liking what I'm seeing from him.
    Howland has always put a team on the floor that focused on defense first. This team was weak at best on the defensive end of the court. Is it him or the players or lack of players?

Not sure.

Well, it's because all frikin year they have been beat down by the media and so the coach isn't supposed to say what he said to back up his players?

I hate the BCSness of the basketball season. Ok, call whatever the hell you want. If you consider it swagger fine. I don't. I consider it swinging back from getting pushed around by all the BCS conferences. I mean c'mon mike, you have to see that.
    Easy there big fella! It doesn't help that the Tigers blew it in the final last year and then pound their chests after beating up on "powerhouse" Tulsa. I would think a confident team would not have to do that. The good thing is that they have a chance to silence all the doubters by doing their talking on the court. What more can you ask for? Winning is the sweetest revenge.

Easy there big fella! It doesn't help that the Tigers blew it in the final last year and then pound their chests after beating up on "powerhouse" Tulsa. I would think a confident team would not have to do that. The good thing is that they have a chance to silence all the doubters by doing their talking on the court. What more can you ask for? Winning is the sweetest revenge.
    I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Howland has always put a team on the floor that focused on defense first. This team was weak at best on the defensive end of the court. Is it him or the players or lack of players?

Not sure.
    Probably both, although Howland has had me scratching my head numerous times this year. Losing Love, Westbrook, Mata-Real and Mbah a Moute certainly didn't help.

I'm sorry.

No problem dude. Even though I won't be rooting for your Tigers, I'll be happy for you if they win it all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12