thoey is offline Registered User

Michagan's new coach (NICK)

Hey Nick. I am curious on your take of your ex-coach. I am sure you were happy with him while he was there, and I am pretty sure you are a bit soured about his leaving.

But, all that aside, can he come in to a Michigan team and make them better? Michigan and WVU have two completely different offensive philosophies. How long would it take for him to recruit players to fit and will that sort of offense work in the Big Ten? I know Illinois has a similar offense but...

As a Michigan fan, I think Rich has a short leash. I see them giving him next year as he will pretty much be implementing his O of Carr's players. Beat MSU, ND and a couple other Big Ten games and it is a successful year.

Year two, they either need to win against OSU or at least be as good as this season.

After that, if there isn't a beating of OSU and a chance at the BCS title, I am thinking they will consider him a failure (right or wrong).

Your or anyone else's thoughts?

This space for rent...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Michagan's new coach (NICK)

All I can say is that he better land Terrelle Pryor if he wants to be able to duplicate the success he had here.

...well, no, that's not all I can say.

But Rod's run-first spread offense is dependent on that dual threat quarterback, and while they found Pat White as a diamond in the rough, it's hard to see them pulling another three star out of no where and making him one of the top dual QBs in the nation.

To my knowledge Michigan doesn't even have a single QB commit right now, and freshman QB Ryan Mallet is transferring. Who does that leave them? David Cone, Lee Mondol, and Nick Sheridan? Not sure I see the answer there. Rod is also losing seniors Chad Henne, Mike Hart, Jake Long, and junior receivers Adrian Arrington and Mario Manningham. He has a lot of talent to replace, how much of it is already there?

Running back commit Sam McGuffie could do well in that scheme, but they're going to need to find a QB to run it. I don't know too much about the Michigan offensive linemen that are there right now, but I question if they're athletic enough to run the spread system. He may have some adjustments to make there.

I think it's going to take him a year or two before he really gets the components he needs for his philosophy, which he's shown a stubbornness to adapt in the past. Even then, will it be enough to beat Ohio State and be in the title picture every year? Personally I have my doubts, not because I don't think he's a good coach but because it's his way or the highway and when push comes to shove he doesn't make the best in-game adjustments. He's the kind of coach that thinks his system will work against anyone, which isn't a bad thing because I think with the right players this system can compete with anyone. But when it doesn't work in a game, he has a tendency to just keep running it because he figures it'll start working sometime.

He also no longer has the advantage of surprise behind him. As you pointed out, Illinois runs a similar system in the Big Ten so teams have already been preparing ways to stop the spread attack. If I had to make a prediction, I'd be surprised if he makes it to his sixth season as head coach. He's not a Michigan guy so the tolerance will be lower I think.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-10-2008 at 03:13 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Michagan's new coach (NICK)

I agree. Thanks for your input...
    This space for rent...