Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    afrightertoo is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Williams will NOT be reinstated to the NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    His day will come.
    His day may or may not come. Until then he will no longer be afforded the discipline of a structured training environment nor will he have any influence over the emergence of newcomers who may be in greater demand at the time he is "ruled" entitled to enter the NFL. I think luck is relative.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He's such a talent, he'll still be drafted in the first round next year.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    He's such a talent, he'll still be drafted in the first round next year.
    As long as he is compensated for the opportunity costs he incurs, I don't care what round he finds himself in. But it is a long time from now to then. Hopefully his luck doesn't completely run out before then.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If the NCAA's position were that it has no discretion whatsoever in this matter, it could have decided Williams' case weeks ago.
    I agree with this. I'll be one of the first people to criticize the NCAA for taking so long to make a decision. I'm also critical of the NFL for basically telling underclassmen to come on in and then set a deadline for their declaration, but I think anytime you stand by the rules you establish, it's the right call. I can't say I disagree with the NCAA on the grounds that Williams is inelligible because of his hiring an agent.

Williams is lucky in that he's already established himself as a top 10 talent. If I were him, I'd just spend the next few months working on my 40 time and making sure I make a great impression at the combine. His day will come.
    I agree. Who knows, maybe he's avoiding a season-ending injury by being forced to sit out. I think he was easily a top 15 pick last season, and given the upcoming WR class, he should be the first wide receiver taken in 2005 as long as he stays in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by afrightertoo
    Do I care to elaborate? Why not? Somehow there seems to be a tendency ...
    See, you've still yet to elaborate. :confused:

If you'd like to continue, perhaps it'd be better to start a new thread or PM me. I doubt anyone in here would like the topic of this debate to turn from Williams to your beef with me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

afrightertoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    See, you've still yet to elaborate. If you'd like to continue, perhaps it'd be better to start a new thread or PM me. I doubt anyone in here would like the topic of this debate to turn from Williams to your beef with me.
    Tangents are common around here, I'll go off on one too. A beef? A little touchy perhaps? I merely made an observation. In no way did it imply you were mistaken. It said nothing either way. Understandably curious reaction from you in turn to it though. I responded "why not" and drug out the response. And now you fear a beef has emerged? If it were a beef, my other half would let you know.

But in an effort to put this to bed and not make more of it than was intended, I will elaborate. Somehow there seems to be a tendency in your posts to support the "party line." Now before you waste your breath and demand specifics I will say it is just an impression. Although you just finished stating you would be the first to be critical of the NFL or the NCAA, I don't have the impression you find much to disagree with in terms of authority figures whether they be FOs, coaches, or other established structures. It's just my impression and as I read earlier and agree with, people will tend to see what they are predisposed to see. But just because I am predisposed to see something; I concede upfront, it doesn't mean I understand what I am seeing.

I'd say something now like "don't worry about it Mr. Seiler", but I'm afraid I might get a response back that you do and then it might be on my conscience as what to do next, so I won't say elaborate any more. Unless of course I change my mind too ...

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Yes his time will come, no doubt, but not being able to play will hurt him at least a few spots in the draft. I have no problem with the rule and think it's a good rule. My problem is the inconsistency in eligibility from sport to sport. I could get drafted by the MLB and keep playing college ball (same in hockey) but that can't be said with the NBA or NFL.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12