Harvard head coach lead the Crimson to seventh unbeaten, untied season in school history

Dec. 16, 2004

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Harvard football coach Tim Murphy, who led the Crimson to an undefeated season and the Ivy League championship in 2004, has been named the Schutt Sports Division I-AA national coach of the year as announced Thursday by American Football Monthly magazine.

The other finalists for the award were Mickey Matthews of James Madison, Jimmye Lay**** of William & Mary, and Ron Randleman of Sam Houston State.

Murphy led Harvard to a 10-0 overall record and a 7-0 mark in the Ivy League in 2004, giving the Crimson its seventh unbeaten, untied season in school history and the second under Murphy's watch. It was Harvard's best record since the Crimson went 12-0 in 1901.

Harvard finished the 2004 season as the only unbeaten school in Division I-AA and as the winner of a nation-best 11-game winning streak.

The Ivy League championship was Harvard's 11th league title and the third in Murphy's 11 years with the program.

Murphy's record at Harvard stands at 66-43 through 11 years, leaving him fourth on the school's all-time wins chart. His overall head coaching record, which includes two years at Maine and five years at Cincinnati, is 98-88-1.

In addition to the national coach of the year award, Murphy was chosen as the Division I-AA New England coach of the year for the third time in his career. He has twice been named Eastern College Athletic Conference coach of the year and was the American Football Coaches Association regional coach of the year in 2001.

The other national coach of the year award winners included Auburn's Tommy Tuberville, who was the Division I-A winner; Chuck Broyles of Pittsburg State, who won the Division II award; Larry Kehres of Mount Union in Division III; Patrick Ross of Lindenwood in the NAIA division; and Tim Hatten of Pearl River Community College in the junior college ranks.