http://www.statesman.com/horns/content/horns/football/recruiting/28UTfoot.html

Nation's top-rated QB commits to Texas
Louisiana's Perrilloux says barring any UT coaching changes, he'll be a Longhorn in 2005

By Randy Riggs
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Ryan Perrilloux didn't hesitate this afternoon when asked to describe the previous 24 hours of his life.

"It's been tough real tough," the nation's top-ranked high school quarterback said of his existence after he announced plans to attend the University of Texas in 2005. "I've been getting phone calls, a whole lot of calls, from all over.

"Everybody wants to know the same thing," he added. "Everyone is like, 'Is this a rumor? Is (his decision) it final?'"

Perrilloux's respective answers have been consistent: No, and probably.

Perrilloux, who will be a senior at East St. John High School in Reserve, La., near New Orleans, was speaking via cellphone from the campus of Louisiana State University, of all places. He was wrapping up a two-day football camp before heading home, and said he was getting a steady diet of recruiting advice from the national champion Tigers.

"They're trying to talk me out of it," he said of his nonbinding oral commitment. "They said they're not going to stop recruiting me. But all the colleges on my list are saying that."

Perrilloux, a dual-threat quarterback who has been compared to Donovan McNabb and UT's Vince Young he said in an ESPN.com chat earlier today that he compares his game to Michael Vick's said he still plans to take his five official recruiting visits after his senior season.

He said the schools are LSU, Texas, Miami, Florida State and Florida.

But the 6-foot-2-inch, 208-pounder said he'll reconsider his commitment to the Longhorns only if Coach Mack Brown's staff changes before he can sign a national letter of intent. The signing period begins Feb. 2, 2005.

"That's the only way I'll change my mind," Perrilloux stressed.

As a junior, Perrilloux completed 119 of 209 passes for 2,404 yards and rushed for 1,274 yards and 21 touchdowns on 136 carries.