Aug. 5, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA executive committee gave president Myles Brand a two-year contract extension Friday through 2009.

Advertisement

ZIP code where you park at night.

Do you currently have auto insurance? Yes No

Have you had a U.S driver's license for more than 3 years? Yes No

Has any driver in your household had 2 or more accidents or moving violations in the last 3 years? Yes No

The deal also includes an indefinite two-year rollover clause. Brand's term was to end Dec. 31, 2007.

"I'm extraordinarily pleased to have the contract renewal and the indefinite rollover," Brand said. "I couldn't be happier to be associated with this great institution."

Brand became the first university president to lead the organization when he replaced Cedric Dempsey in January 2003. After pushing through several phases of academic reform, NCAA presidents rewarded Brand for his achievements.

"I think it signifies the deep respect for our strong and courageous leadership," executive committee chairman Walter Harrison said. "It was enthusiastically approved."

Brand has overseen the adoption of a new measurement for academic progress and the approval of stronger penalties for schools that consistently fail in the classroom. He is now pushing for financial reforms.

Some coaches credit him for listening to their concerns and showing up for events other NCAA presidents did not attend.

Brand took over as president at Indiana University in 1994 after five years at Oregon. He fired basketball coach Bob Knight on Sept. 10, 2000.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved