throwback week

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Re: The Official "WVU" Thread

We will tag team and beat up on the ACC!
    I couldn't agree more! It is time for the Big East to step up and gain more credibility by winning these bowl games. Last season was a great start with WVU beating Georgia. Now is the time for another very strong Mountaineer team to show it's dominance by running over GT. Louisville must handle business and beat down the ACC champ.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Reports: Rodriguez considering offer from Bama
    ESPN.com news services
    Thursday, December 7, 2006

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama's search for a new coach appears to be picking up speed.

Bama forcing Miami's hand
    The pace of negotiations between Alabama and West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez is forcing Miami to decide deciding how badly it wants to pursue him.
    -- To read more of Ivan Maisel's analysis, click here

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Thursday he declined to meet with Alabama officials about their coaching vacancy, while media reports had West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez being offered the job.

"I'm flattered that they may have been interested in me, but it never really progressed, because we just never let it progress," Saban said after practice in Davie, Fla.

The Press-Register of Mobile, citing unnamed sources, first reported the offer to Rodriguez from Crimson Tide athletic director Mal Moore on its Web site and said the coach was considering the offer.

The Tuscaloosa News also reported on its Web site that Alabama offered Rodriguez the job.

However, West Virginia tailback Steve Slaton, who is in Orlando to attend Thursday night's Home Depot College Football Awards Show at Walt Disney World Resort, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that Rodriguez told his team he's not going anywhere.

Slaton said his coach told the team Friday night that he planned on staying at his alma mater, instead of accepting the Alabama or Miami jobs.

"From what he said to us, he said he was happy there and wanted to stay for a while," said Slaton, one of three finalists for the Doak Walker Award as college football's best running back. "He told us he planned on spending his career at West Virginia if they wanted him."

Alabama spokesman Doug Walker told The Associated Press the university did not have an announcement scheduled.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Moore on Tuesday night in New York City before the College Football Hall of Fame induction banquet.

Rodriguez has built West Virginia into a Big East power, winning the Sugar Bowl after the 2005 season and a share of three straight league titles. The Mountaineers are 10-2 and play in the Toyota Gator Bowl against Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

Rodriguez signed a three-year extension with the Mountaineers on June 24 and has six years left on his contract, which pays him about $1.1 million annually with the possibility of more than $400,000 in additional performance bonuses. The contract includes a $2 million penalty if he leaves West Virginia before Aug. 31, 2007.

The amended contract increased Rodriguez's supplemental compensation for work such as radio/TV appearances and other promotional activities to more than $510,000. That sum increases to $900,000 beginning Jan. 16, with $50,000 increases each additional year until the contract expires after the 2012 season.

"I hope it doesn't come down to money," Slaton said. "But he's got to do what's best for his family."

Alabama fired Mike Shula on Nov. 26 after the Tide went 6-6 in his fourth season and lost its fifth consecutive meeting with rival Auburn.

Speculation tying Saban to the Crimson Tide job surfaced soon after Shula was let go. Saban publicly denied interest several times, but on Thursday, he acknowledged that the school had contacted his agent, Jimmy Sexton.

"They called Jimmy and said, 'Is Nick interested?' And Jimmy said no," Saban said. "Jimmy asked me on several occasions, and I said no.

"I'm interested in staying here. We're in the middle of the season. I'm committed to our team. It's not a very good time to even think about that, to be honest with you," he said.

Saban is in the second-year of a five-year deal with Miami.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rodriguez will stay at West Virginia
    Coach turns down $12 million offer from Alabama
    Posted: Friday December 8, 2006 3:24PM;
    Updated: Friday December 8, 2006 3:39PM

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) -- West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez turned down Alabama on Friday, telling his players that he'll be back for his sixth season with the Mountaineers.

A loud applause could be heard from inside the Mylan Puskar Center at Mountaineer Field after Rodriguez told his team he would be staying at his alma mater.

"I fully respect his decision and wish him the best," Alabama athletic director Mal Moore said in a statement. "I want to remind everyone of what I said at the outset of this process: my only objective is to get the best person available to lead the Alabama football program.

"I remain determined to bring to our program a proven head coach with impressive credentials."

Reportedly, Alabama offered Rodriguez a $12 million, six-year contract.

WVU sports communications director Mike Fragale said Rodriguez would hold a 5:30 p.m. (EST) news conference.

Rodriguez has built West Virginia into a Big East power, winning the Sugar Bowl after the 2005 season and a share of three straight league titles. The Mountaineers are 10-2 and will play Georgia Tech in the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., on Jan. 1.

Rodriguez signed a seven-year contract in June that pays him $1 million this year with $50,000 annual raises after that, and $600,000 in deferred compensation in December 2011 if he remained as coach.

Alabama fired Mike Shula on Nov. 26 after the Tide went 6-6 in his fourth season and lost its fifth consecutive meeting with rival Auburn.
    Link

Thank you Rich Rod for making the right choice and sticking with your word!

Things were really getting hairy in the last 24 hours first with news about the contract offer, then with a LOT of unconfirmed internet reports that Rich had accepted the offer, and then finally with ESPN going so far as to report the agreement for most of this morning. I can't help but laugh that their bottom line now has to scroll the real news after they jumped the gun this morning.

Now let's go win the Gator Bowl, baby!!!

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Congrats on keeping a great coach WVU and Nick. I would have just gave rep to show my agreement, but have to spread it around first.

It's official - Pat White is a cyborg. Talk about a competitor! LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS, BABY!!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is online now Registered User

Very nice win. I honestly didn't think they'd be able to come back after being down 18 in the second half.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234