Aug. 21, 2005

The Ohio State offense defeated the Buckeye defense 59-56 Saturday in the jersey scrimmage in Ohio Stadium. The win allows the offense to continue to wear the coveted scarlet jerseys during fall practice.

With the score tied at 51-all, freshman quarterback Robbie Schoenhoft connected with sophomore flanker Devon Lyons from 39 yards out on what turned out to be the winning score.

The Buckeye defense had two more chances to win the game, but could not come up with enough points to take the lead on either of the Scarlet's final two possessions.

Schoenhoft, a true freshman from Cincinnati St. Xavier, completed 13 of 21 passes for 137 yards, including a 28-yard TD pass to sophomore Ted Ginn Jr.

Lyons, from North Braddock, Pa., led all receivers with nine catches for 108 yards. Ginn finished with three catches and linebacker-turned-fullback Brandon Smith had two.

Redshirt freshman Erik Haw was the leading rusher for the offense with 37 yards on nine carries, one more yard than senior Brandon Schnittker had on the same number of attempts.

Sophomore Antonio Pittman of Akron carried the ball 10 times for 26 yards and true freshman Maurice Wells, a product of Jacksonville, Fla., finished with 33 yards on nine carries.

Junior quarterback Troy Smith had a 31-yard run and recorded the only rushing touchdown of the day on a short-yardage dive. Smith also completed eight-of 13 passes for 74 yards.

Redshirt freshman Todd Boeckman took the majority of snaps with the first offense and completed nine of his 18 passes for 46 yards.

The Buckeye defense recorded eight sacks, blocked a punt and had a 35-yard interception return by Donte Whitner.

With temperatures approaching the 90s, the Buckeyes still ran nearly 150 plays.

"I was impressed with our effort," Coach Jim Tressel said afterwards. "We played hard and made some big plays, and I thought we were playing just as hard at the end as we were in the beginning. That shows me we are in good shape."

Senior Josh Huston nailed a pair of field goals and freshman Ryan Pretorius connected on a 55-yard try.

The Buckeyes are off Sunday, but return to practice Monday.