Monday's season opener against the Tigers is set for 3:30 p.m. on ESPN

Sept. 2, 2005

OXFORD, Miss. - With the season opener three days away, the Ole Miss football team conducted its final full-speed practice of the preseason Friday on the Rebel practice fields.

Ole Miss head coach Ed Orgeron was pleased with his squad's tempo during the 2 1/2-hour workout and said the team is ready for Monday's matchup at Memphis.

"I wanted an up-tempo practice today," said the first-year Rebel coach. "It's the last time we're going to put on the pads (before the game). I wanted us to go hard and feel it, and they did that. I thought they really did a good job of execution. It's important they got in the rhythm of things.

"I think we're prepared for the game. There are some things that are going to come up on gameday, and we're going to have to make some decisions. I'm really anxious to see how we'll perform in all areas, and how we'll match up."

One of the decisions still to be made is at the quarterback position, where senior Micheal Spurlock and sophomore Robert Lane have shared first-team duties in practice.

"I though Micheal did a good job today," Orgeron said. "Micheal mainly practiced with the first team. I had let Robert practice with the first team the last couple days, so I wanted to give Micheal a shot today. We're going to talk about (the quarterback situation) as a staff throughout the weekend. We really haven't talked about it much. We've just let them go all week and let it play out."

The health of the offensive line has been a concern throughout preseason, but Orgeron said some of the injured Rebels are returning at the right time.

"David Traxler coming back really helps us. I think he's going to be ready to go," said Orgeron.

"I think (the offensive line) has progressed, but we've got to see them in full-speed action. That's the test coming up. I think they'll perform well. I think there will be some things we have to fix obviously."

Ole Miss will kickoff the 2005 season on Monday, when they take on the Memphis Tigers at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium. The game, which will be televised by ESPN, will start at 3:30 p.m. CT. The Ole Miss Radio Network takes the air for its newly expanded pre-game show at 2 p.m.