txramsfan is offline Registered User

Perrilloux picks LSU over Texas

LONGHORN RECRUITING
    Perrilloux picks LSU
    After an early commitment to Texas, quarterback decides to stay close to home

By Matthew Obernauer

AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The fears of Longhorn fans were confirmed Wednesday morning: Highly touted Ryan Perrilloux withdrew his six-month-long commitment to Texas and signed a binding letter of intent to play at Louisiana State instead.

Perrilloux is the nation's top dual-threat quarterback, and is equally dangerous with his arm or his legs. He was named USAToday's Offensive Player of the Year last season, throwing for 3,546 yards and 30 touchdowns and added 1,460 yards and 37 touchdowns on the ground as a senior at Reserve (La.) East St. John.

Perrilloux committed to the Longhorns in July, but said that he would continue to take recruiting visits. Meanwhile, the Tigers — first under Nick Saban, then under new coach Les Miles —vowed that they would keep the Louisiana standout in his home state.

The school's recruiting push culminated last weekend, with Perrilloux's official visit to Baton Rouge. East St. John Coach Larry Dauterive said on Monday that Perrilloux did not commit to LSU over the weekend. But Dauterive also made clear that Perrilloux's mother, Bobbie Breaux, wanted her son to stay in Louisiana, and soon, reports seeped out that the quarterback had been swayed. At least one high-profile recruit was quoted as saying that Perrilloux was trying to recruit him to the Tigers.

Behind Vince Young, the Longhorns return just one quarterback with game experience — Matt Nordgren, who will be a senior next fall. Last February, Texas Coach Mack Brown said his program would need to sign two "great ones" at the quarterback position in 2005. Perrilloux's signing with LSU leaves the Longhorns one shy of that goal — Tuscola Jim Ned's Colt McCoy, No. 53 on the American-Statesman's Fab 55, was an early commitment to the Longhorns and is expected to sign his letter of intent today.

McCoy will face a difficult transition from Class 2A high school football to the rigors of the Big 12, but he said that he is ready for the challenge.

"The coaches told me not to have the mindset to be redshirted. That's on my shoulders," McCoy said last week. "I'm going to take on the mindset that I can be ready to go. I'm going to be a true help for the Longhorns."

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Perrilloux picks LSU over Texas

I think in the long run, RP made a bad move. Les Miles may or may not be a successful coach at LSU but Mack Brown has solidified Texas as a power.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Perrilloux picks LSU over Texas

...as a power for 10 out of 11 games
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions