Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Selecting 5th in the 2008 draft, the rams choose....

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I wonder if the impact players like Polamalu, Ed Reed, and even Bob Sanders have had on their teams might be able to influence the Rams FO to think differently about drafting a safety in the first round.
    Probably not. Polamalu was the guy they didn't think was worth the 12th pick in 2003. Ed Reed was drafted #24th overall so he wouldn't be an example of using a top first rounder on a safety. As for Bob Sanders, he was a second round pick in 2004.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

What I was getting at wasn't so much where they get drafted but the potential value for the money. For example, a lot of people point to Bob Sanders' return as the difference between one of the worst run defenses in the league during the regular season and one of the best in the postseason. I would think that might give some people cause to reconsider how much they would value the position. Of course, it could be that they've just decided which positions they're willing to take at which points in the draft regardless of what they think a particular player might benefit the team.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    What I was getting at wasn't so much where they get drafted but the potential value for the money. For example, a lot of people point to Bob Sanders' return as the difference between one of the worst run defenses in the league during the regular season and one of the best in the postseason. I would think that might give some people cause to reconsider how much they would value the position. Of course, it could be that they've just decided which positions they're willing to take at which points in the draft regardless of what they think a particular player might benefit the team.
    It might make them value the position more in terms of impact that can be had on the field, but since none of those safeties were top picks, I doubt any of those examples would cause them to reconsider taking a safety high in the draft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12