DJRamFan Guest

UCLA's Olson On A Record Roll

Bruins' QB takes charge of his 7-0 team

Oct. 23, 2005

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - As a senior, Drew Olson has reached his comfort zone.

"This is the most I've been at ease, in a good way, not being overly relaxed," Olson said after the No. 8 Bruins (4-0 Pac-10) ran their record to 7-0 with a 51-28 victory over Oregon State over the weekend.

Olson has been on quite a roll, leading late comebacks three games in a row, then throwing for a school-record six touchdowns in a lopsided victory.

He has thrown for 11 touchdowns in his past two games, and has 21 touchdowns and only three interceptions this year.

"I just feel confident. I feel like my game has been getting to a point where it needs to be and where I expected it to be," he said.

A week after he tied Cade McNown's UCLA mark by throwing five scoring passes in an overtime win at Washington State, Olson connected with tailback Maurice Drew and tight end Marcedes Lewis for two touchdowns apiece, and hooked up with tight end Ryan Moya and Brandon Breazell for scores.

While UCLA receivers often were wide open - Moya for a 48-yard TD and Drew for a 20-yarder - Olson had to be right on the money on other scoring plays.

Olson, who finished 16-of-24 for 262 yards, hit Breazell with a perfectly thrown ball that the receiver caught over his shoulder in full stride for a 46-yarder that set the Bruins' record.

On Drew's 43-yard touchdown catch, Olson rolled far to his right, pulled up and threw across the field to the other sideline. Drew, who had a step on the defender, caught the ball on the dead run and was off to the end zone.

One of Lewis' two scoring catches came on a timed throw, where he sprinted into the end zone, finally turned after Olson already had lofted the ball to just the right spot, and jumped to grab it over a defender.

"The game has slowed down for Drew. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing, I don't see us losing anytime soon," Lewis said.

Olson, who seemed mostly mediocre as a passer and field general his first three years, has blossomed. He had knee surgery last January and it wasn't certain that he would be able to play this year.

He missed spring practice while recuperating, then had to battle highly regarded newcomer Ben Olson (no relation) for the starting job and was finally named No. 1 only after Ben Olson broke a bone in his throwing hand late in fall camp.

Although Ben Olson has long since recovered, he's been relegated to the bench by Drew Olson's play. Ben Olson finally got into his first game late in Saturday's one-sided win over Oregon State, throwing an incompletion.

"Drew has played all the way through, from training camp to (the OSU game)," coach Karl Dorrell said. "He's battled all the way through, and his mind-set for what he wants to accomplish in his senior season is happening for him.

"It's fun to see all the hard work and his vision that he had for himself."

Mr.Blond Guest

Re: UCLA's Olson On A Record Roll

OLSON KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched the game at 4 am Saturday night on repeat vs Oregon St. UCLA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U C L A FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!~ Maurcie Drew