KentuckyHawk is offline Registered User

Barry Bonds to be indicted soon?

According to foxsports.com:

According to a report in the New York Daily News, several sources within Major League Baseball expect a San Francisco grand jury to indict Giants slugger Barry Bonds, possibly even as early as next week.

The senior sources said they have no inside information, but expect Bonds to be indicted before the grand jury that has been hearing evidence against him expires within the next couple of weeks.
    Several sources within MLB said they found plenty of damning information about Bonds in their own investigation, launched secretly a year before commissioner Bud Selig appointed former U.S. Senator George Mitchell in March to head an MLB inquiry into steroid use.

Bonds faces possible indictment for perjury and tax evasion. When he appeared before a grand jury in December 2003, Bonds testified that he did not knowingly take performance-enhancing drugs.

While Bonds' friend and personal trainer Greg Anderson (one of four men convicted in the BALCO steroid trafficking case) has not testified before the grand jury, earning him a contempt of court charge and a stint in prison without bail, several other key witnesses have done so. Included among them were Bonds' former physician Arthur Ting, Giants trainer Stan Conte and Bonds' former mistress Kimberly Bell.

Bell reportedly testified that Bonds gave her about $80,000 in possibly undeclared cash and admitted to her that he used anabolic steroids before he was introduced to BALCO.

Would anybody care if Bonds went to jail and never played baseball again? I know I wouldn't. I cannot wait for this whole thing to be over so he will just admit it. :bored:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Barry Bonds to be indicted soon?

Hmm, tax evasion, huh? Well, there's obviously more than just steroids going on here. Either he was also selling the stuff and not declaring the income from that or he broke the law on two completely separate fronts.

Just another reason to not like the guy, I suppose.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think the tax evasion comes from the money that he allegedly gave to his mistress. She said he gave her cash from signings and such. That way there would be no record that would reveal the extramarital relationship. Of course, it stands to reason that if he didn't want there to be any record of him making the money or giving it to her, he probably wouldn't report it on tax forms either. At least on this one count, I feel kind of sorry for him. He's not getting any sympathy from me with regards to the steroids charges, but according to her story he went out of his way to do extra appearances (and may indeed have broken the law) all to help her financially, and now she's trying to get him in legal trouble for it. Kind of ungrateful there.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

But we're talking about $80k given to her over multiple years (ie. tax periods) for a man who makes multi-millions every year. That's just a personal expense, and I bet it would be extremely hard to prove those funds are not on his 1040.

My guess is, if they truly are indicting on the tax charge, it will be to give him something to plea to if the drug charges and subsequent money laundering charges follow.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyHawk
    Would anybody care if Bonds went to jail and never played baseball again?
    Hes not a St. Louis Cardinal, so i dont care.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If they go after Barry Bonds SOLELY on the steroids deal, then MLB or all sports better watch out. To me, this is a witch hunt against Barry. I don't know Barry, so I can't say I hate him but I can say there are other baseball players that I enjoy watching over Bonds. That being said, MLB or whomever is going to indict Bonds better be ready to indict a whole bunch of other folks.