LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

Can the Dodgers get some pitching please?

The boys really have been struggling in this area. They have some of the hottest bats and lead the league in alot of hitting catagories. The only time I feel good is when Penny is on the mound. He is even known to hit some RBIS from time to time.

With that being said though I have to admit this team is finally where they need to be at this point in the rebuilding process. They have a strong order and could put up the runs with just about anyone.They have some young talent and some good veterans. Garcia Parra is having a great year and is always there when the team needs him.

The Dodgers might make the playoffs this year maybe even win a few games but w/o the pitching its hard to beleive they will contend for the world series.

In the off season I see management locking up this batting order. They kind of have to dont they? Then its on to try and get a few strong pitchers. If they could add maybe one star pitcher to accompany Penny and pick up a couple of decent releivers this team has a great chance to push themselves up to the top of baseball.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Re: Can the Dodgers get some pitching please?

Here is my take:I too feel very confident when Brad Penny is on the mound as he has finally turned into the dominant ace that I have always envisioned him being, evidenced by the fact that he is the starting P for the NL in the All-Star game.
    -DLo is a very solid #2, and is unhittable when his sinker is sharp. After those two however, the problems begin.
    -Aaron Sele has been brilliant and a wonderful surprise but one has to wonder when midnight will strike and he turns into the proverbial pumpkin.
    -Mark Hendrickson acquired in a recent trade is a very average pitcher.
    -Chad Billingsley will be our ace one day, but it will just take time fot him to develop.
    -Odalis Perez once had great potential, but appears to be a bust and Brett Tomko is as mediocre as they come.
    As far as the bullpen is concerned, Saito and Broxton have been pleasant surprises and have stabilized the bullpen to some extent. The key to the entire bullpen is Baez. He has been throwing in the mid nineties consistently but has been struggling all season. Getting him back on track could really anchor the pen and put the Dodgers in a position to make some noise in the postseason. I still truly feel that the Dodgers are one year away from winning the World Series. Anything we get this year is just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Bruce=GOAT; -07-10-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Here is an excellent article posted by a man named Kinbote on a Dodgers message board. I thought I would post it for others to enjoy as it is an intriguing article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------At the Break--
    well folks, what do you think of the dodger's chances in the second half? i'm cautiously optimistic.

lineup:

ss-furcal: should improve given his track record.
    cf-lofton: presence of kemp and repko's return give us depth.
    1b-nomar: our first-half m.v.p.
    rf-drew: health is always the concern, but he seems motivated.
    2b-kent: oblique injury a major concern right now.
    lf-ethier: what can be said?
    c-martin: time to move him up to the #7 hole.
    3b-izturis: just imagine he plays 2b & kent plays 3b!

bench:

c-alomar/hall: hall wants a trade, but we need insurance.
    if-saenz: one of the best rh bench bats in baseball.
    if-r. martinez: solid reserve.
    of-cruz: good 4th outfielder.
    of-kemp: will he stay or will he go?

rotation:

sp-penny: 20 wins would be nice.
    sp-lowe: still solid despite recent struggles.
    sp-sele: yes, aaron sele's our #3 starter. [gulp]
    sp-hendrickson: the jury is out, though they may be leaning.
    sp-billingsley: may lose his spot when tomko returns.

bullpen:

rp-saito: he, ethier, & sele have been godsends.
    rp-baez: is it me or is he improving?
    rp-broxton: still raw, but he's become a fixture.
    rp-beimel: another pleasant surprise.
    rp-carrara: he's more effective than carter, kuo, or osoria.
    rp-odalis: can we trade this guy already?

returning:

of-ledee: his return might necessitate dropping a catcher.
    of-repko: kemp could be sent down or cruz could be traded.
    sp-tomko: pitched well in game he got injured. bullpen talk?

stick a fork in 'em:

rp-gagne: we loved you, eric.
    3b-mueller: bad things happen to good people.

on the farm:

if-aybar: insurance policy at 2b and 3b; trade bait.
    1b/of-loney: no space on 2006 team; september call-up.
    if/of-guzman: tanking; prime trade bait at deadline.
    3b-laroche: could take over 3b if events warrant [izzy trade].
    of-d. young: september call-up; trade bait.
    rp-kuo: needs a control transplant.
    rp-miller: if he looks ready, we may not be able to resist.
    rp-osoria: haven't heard much about him recently.
    sp-hanrahan: back from the dead; september call-up?
    sp-houlton: do the royals need a pitcher?

five [unpopular?] ideas:

1. move billingsley to the pen when tomko returns. i know we're protecting our top pitching prospect, but what if his stuff explodes a little and he and broxton become two dudes you definitely don't want to face in the 7th & 8th innings?

2. send kemp down. let him work on his game in AAA when ledee/repko return. there's no law that says he can't come right back up when he gets his confidence back up [or lofton gets injured].

3. dfa odalis. we have starters who don't pitch deep into games, a hodgepodge six man bullpen, and gagne's gone for good. we can't waste this spot much longer.

4. listen to offers for drew. chances are we wouldn't get the bounty he'd require, but if--for example--the yankees or bosox land b. abreu, we could have a bidding war on our hands.

5. sniff around maddux. one word: intangibles. the cost will be high, but he's a pretty good fit. offer a deal centered around guzman and hope the cubs like him. if not, hold onto the untouchables and go with what we have.

Finally Billingsley gets the first of what should be over 200 wins.

Tonite is a pivotal game in what will shape the winner of the NL West. Dodgers are one half game out of 1st place and go head to head vs. San Diego. Dodgers ace Brad Penny faces SD ace Jake Peavy. Both teams have upcoming series with Pittsburgh who is coming off a sweep of the Mets and finish the season playing each other as well.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Dodgers better win tonight......they're pissing me off. They had an opportunity to create some separation instead they fall to 2nd place.:x