Blyth hails Marshall & Boruc

Stephen Sullivan

Jim Blyth has paid tribute to the two young goalkeepers currently vying for the Celtic number one spot.

Recent years have only served to perpetuate the widely-held belief that the Bhoys always struggle more with their goalies than Rangers, but Blyth believes that 20-year-old David Marshall and Artur Boruc, 25, can now begin to provide the club with the stability and dependability that's all too often been lacking.

Indeed, while a few eyebrows were raised when the services of experienced duo Rab Douglas and Magnus Hedman were dispensed with over the summer, Blyth insists that what he’s seen from both Marshall and Boruc has affirmed to him that the club are now better off for the change.

“They’re both first class,” he said of the youngsters. “That applies to the players right through the club to be honest, but I’m delighted to have the chance to work with two such talented young goalies.

“I certainly think that I can say, with all due respect to the two senior lads who were here last year, Artur and David are now better options for the club, both in the short and long term.
“They’re both very accomplished all-round goalkeepers and I’m delighted to have the chance to work with them.”

Another of his charges whose performances in training have impressed the former Coventry City, Derby Count and Northampton Town goalkeeping coach is Michael McGovern, and Blyth hinted that the 20-year-old Irishman has helped convince he and Strachan that the club is unlikely to require another senior goalie.

Speaking to the Celtic website, he said: “Michael’s done well and it’s just unfortunate for him that he hasn’t managed to get too many game so far.

“Hopefully that will change sooner rather than later, but you always know as a goalkeeper that there are going to be times when you’re going to be cooling your heels.

“But Michael’s work in general has been very, very good – as has Sandy (Wood)’s - and he can be pleased with the standard he’s achieved so far.
"The training in general has been good so far and it’s been a great experience working