DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Cities confident MLB will pick someone soon

Associated Press
    HOUSTON -- Baseball's No. 2 official expressed confidence Monday that the Montreal Expos will move before the 2005 season but wouldn't set a new deadline for a decision.

The Expos were bought by the other 29 teams before the 2002 season, and baseball at first hoped for a decision by July 2002 but later pushed it back to the 2003 All-Star break and then to this year's break. The bidding areas have said in recent weeks that they think a decision could be made by late July or early August.

"I've been hanged out to dry by coming out with proposed dates," Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, said before the All-Star Home Run Derby. "The sooner we get it done the better. I believe it will happen this summer. I believe it's very important we get this done this year."

Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia's Loudoun County, near Dulles International Airport, appear to be the top contenders to land the Expos. Also bidding are Las Vegas, Monterrey, Mexico; Norfolk, Va.; Portland, Ore., and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Downtown Washington is about 40 miles from Baltimore's Camden Yards, and DuPuy acknowledged that Orioles owner Peter Angelos has openly opposed having a team move that close to his franchise. If the Expos move to either Washington or Northern Virginia, they would play at RFK Stadium, home of the expansion Washington Senators, before moving to a new ballpark in 2007 or 2008.

"He's expressed his view with the regard an impact a club in the Washington area would have on the Orioles," DuPuy said.

Commissioner Bud Selig said in May that he was concerned about the effect an Expos move to the nation's capital would have on the Orioles.

"It isn't only the Orioles, it's all teams," Selig said then. "I think it's the commissioner's responsibility to protect the 30 franchises."

Baseball officials met Friday with the Washington and Northern Virginia groups, and DuPuy said discussions are ongoing with all the bidding communities.

He also said it's possible baseball will decide where the Expos move before finalizing a deal to sell the team, a process that could extend into early 2005. He said that areas that don't wind up with the Expos could become contenders for other franchises.

"That's an inevitable conclusion you can draw if you're having eventual relocation," DuPuy said.

Selig says the Florida Marlins and Oakland Athletics need new ballparks to survive in their areas.

DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Mr.Blond Guest

Re: Cities confident MLB will pick someone soon

I guess it's better than them playing games in Puerto Rico. Dayum. I really hope they move to Vegas. That is a kick ass city.

They're going to DC or Virginia. I guess the owners are split as to which one to go to so it'll be up to the commish. I'd rather see them in DC.

Vegas made a pitch to basically put themselves on the map. They'll now be one of the ones talked about when a team looks to get a new stadium or relocate. One interesting rumor I've heard is Montreal going to DC and Florida going to Vegas. That would be neat. It'll definitely be a tough sell since Vegas is more of a tourist spot than a living city. The population is skyrocketing, but it's all people coming from the East who already have teams to root for.
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Mr.Blond Guest

I looked in the paper recentley, Florida had like 20,000 fans for a weekend game (I beleive).....pretty lousy for a World Champion team. Them moving to Vegas however would screw up the "divisions" (Vegas in East?) but that's interesting. Actually, same with the Expos moving to Vegas, so I guess we'll see. Think they'd keep the name "Expos"? :bored:

The divisions wouldn't be that bad actually. Florida isn't going to get a stadium any time soon, money's tight. And, Huizenga is bending is former team over the coach on the stadium deal so I wouldn't blame them for leaving, but I think they'll try to stick it out as long as they can. Here's what I could see happening:

East
    Atlanta
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Pittsburgh
    Washington

Central
    Chicago
    Cincinnati
    Colorado
    Houston
    Milwaukee
    St. Louis

West
    Arizona
    Las Vegas
    Los Angeles
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Just never break up the Cubs/Cardinals and you can do anything you want.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Just never break up the Cubs/Cardinals and you can do anything you want.
    And for any Cubs fans that happen to be listening, Zambrano is a punk.

DJ, as far as that allignment, the West would become a pretty tough division.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Well, as it stands now, the West is already a tough division. LA, SF, and an uprising SD are all challenging. Colorado and Arizona are laughable though.

It's too bad, though, that DC is going to get a horrible team. The novelty will help attendance, but then drop off when everyone realizes they suck, which is why Angelos has a problem.....Already one crappy team in the area
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamfan
    Well, as it stands now, the West is already a tough division. LA, SF, and an uprising SD are all challenging. Colorado and Arizona are laughable though.
    As far as winning % (as of 7-20-04), these 3 are 2nd, 3rd, & 4th in the NL behind only the Redbirds. I don't know their schedule but there may be some inflation in play with the Rockies and D'backs in the division.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I don't know their schedule but there may be some inflation in play with the Rockies and D'backs in the division.
    Yeah, but every division has their patsies...
    DJRamFan

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ