Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Dodgers sign Jason Schmidt

The Los Angeles Dodgers have landed the biggest free agent prize of MLB's offseason signing ace RHP Schmidt to a 3 year deal.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...ns#schmidtdone

Here are my thoughts (for the 1 or 2 people interested, lol) on these moves and the Dodgers future:

I will admit that I have been opposed to the Gonzo signing, maybe I am a Homer, but I am not so upset with it as long as Ethier starts in RF. Gonzo is a solid veteran presence and could pop around 20 Hrs and 45 2Bs.

Loney being on the big club and spelling Nomar once to twice a week, while being the first option off the bench is acceptable to me. This leaves Saenz as the #2 pinch hitter which is very good. He is a great bench option and decent at the corners. Martinez is a solid hitter/fielder bench player and Repko provides great D and great base running ability. Lofton ?

We now have a great rotation top to bottom and have basically kept all of our top prospects(Under the "Colletti era".) We added Ethier and Betemit, unloaded a headache (Bradley) and have seasoned the rest with Bills showing much promise in the bigs.

I think Coletti has a great understanding of what is going to get us to the WS THIS YEAR!! He has also shown that he will make the big move when needed.

We are now deep at SP and should keep it that way unless a blow your mind offer arises ie:Cabrera, Texeira, etc. I am not happy with Hendrickson and Tomko on the team in any capacity, however when Brazoban and Kuo come up, they will hopefully be gone.

I have truly felt for the last couple yrs that the Dodgers will win the World Series in 2007 and today's moves make me feel even more confident. As another poster earlier stated, the playoffs/WS are won generally by top of the line SP and we now have two very good ones (Schmidt,Lowe) and potentially two more (Penny,CBills) with a solid fifth (Wolf) to man the bullpen in the playoffs.

On a sentimental note, I hate to see Gagne go, but he is not worth the money he reportedly demands with the lofty hopes that he becomes the next Trevor Hoffman. We got what probably are his best years and I wish him well, but he will probably be replaced by Brazoban (on the roster, not as closer) when he recovers. Saito and Broxton have the late innings sewn up and Beimel is great vs. lefties.

I say call it quits for the offseason and injuries notwithstanding (a big if) I see us winning it all this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Dodgers sign Jason Schmidt

I've been hearing via the local sports news that the Dodgers are talking to the Red Sox about Manny Ramirez. Brad Penny and prospects have been mentioned.

FYI

Eric Gagne signs with Rangers. At least he didn't do the unthinkable and play for the Giants.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

The Los Angeles Dodgers have landed the biggest free agent prize of MLB's offseason signing ace RHP Schmidt to a 3 year deal.
    Let's hope that a big free agent pitcher can remain healthy and contribute strongly for the Dodgers(for a change). It seems to me that the Dodgers must have a really nice rehab facility because the overpriced "stars" seem to like to sign with LA to rehab before they move on.

I will admit that I have been opposed to the Gonzo signing, maybe I am a Homer, but I am not so upset with it as long as Ethier starts in RF. Gonzo is a solid veteran presence and could pop around 20 Hrs and 45 2Bs.
    I, too, am not sure Gonzo was the best route to go. Maybe some lockerroom leadership can help make a difference in keeping the kids focused.

Loney being on the big club and spelling Nomar once to twice a week, while being the first option off the bench is acceptable to me. This leaves Saenz as the #2 pinch hitter which is very good. He is a great bench option and decent at the corners. Martinez is a solid hitter/fielder bench player and Repko provides great D and great base running ability. Lofton ?
    I thought Loney had played himself into a shot at a starting job, and the Tomato Killer is a great threat in the PH role. Martinez is a nice back-up and Repko is definitely a player, but needs to work on some of his decision making. Lofton, iffy.

We now have a great rotation top to bottom and have basically kept all of our top prospects(Under the "Colletti era".) We added Ethier and Betemit, unloaded a headache (Bradley) and have seasoned the rest with Bills showing much promise in the bigs.
    Do we HAVE to take Drew back now he has failed his physical? lol

I think Coletti has a great understanding of what is going to get us to the WS THIS YEAR!! He has also shown that he will make the big move when needed.
    Hopefully the player chemistry will keep them all [laying for each other and reaching for the ultimate prize!

On a sentimental note, I hate to see Gagne go, but he is not worth the money he reportedly demands with the lofty hopes that he becomes the next Trevor Hoffman. We got what probably are his best years and I wish him well, but he will probably be replaced by Brazoban (on the roster, not as closer) when he recovers. Saito and Broxton have the late innings sewn up and Beimel is great vs. lefties.
    Gagne was something else but the Dodgers found a decent-to-good closer to fill the void and didn't need to spend the cash on a player who may or may-not be healthy enough to contribute a full year again.

I say call it quits for the offseason and injuries notwithstanding (a big if) I see us winning it all this year.
    Amen, Hallelujah, and fly the pennant!

RnD

GO RAMS!!

What's the opening day line-up going to look like?

How about the pitching rotation?

What's the opening day line-up going to look like?

How about the pitching rotation?
    As of now the rotation appears to be:
    1. Jason Schmidt
    2. Derek Lowe
    3. Brad Penny
    4. Randy Wolf
    5. Chad Billingsley

Spot starter: Hung Chi-Kuo

Lineup:

1. Juan Pierre CF
    2. Rafael Furcal SS
    3. Nomar Garciapparra 1B
    4. Jeff Kent 2B
    5. Luis Gonzalez LF
    6. Andre Ethier RF
    7. Wilson Betemit 3B
    8. Russ Martin C

Andy Laroche could take over at 3rd depending on his spring, however I doubt it. Loney and Saenz will be top options off bench with Repko and Kemp spelling in the OF. Bullpen should be stout with returning Broxton and Saito with Brazoban coming back at some point. If interested in anymore Dodgers info, just suggest it and I would love to provide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    As of now the rotation appears to be:
    1. Jason Schmidt
    2. Derek Lowe
    3. Brad Penny
    4. Randy Wolf
    5. Chad Billingsley

Spot starter: Hung Chi-Kuo

Lineup:

1. Juan Pierre CF
    2. Rafael Furcal SS
    3. Nomar Garciapparra 1B
    4. Jeff Kent 2B
    5. Luis Gonzalez LF
    6. Andre Ethier RF
    7. Wilson Betemit 3B
    8. Russ Martin C

Andy Laroche could take over at 3rd depending on his spring, however I doubt it. Loney and Saenz will be top options off bench with Repko and Kemp spelling in the OF. Bullpen should be stout with returning Broxton and Saito with Brazoban coming back at some point. If interested in anymore Dodgers info, just suggest it and I would love to provide it.
    Kent and Garciaparra's health concern me. Other than that looks like a solid team. How do you think we stack up against the rest of the National League?
    Are we a threat to win it all?

DODGER BLUE!!!

Here are projected lineups for other teams in the West (thanks to a poster on the Dodgers board):

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
    1. Dave Roberts CF L
    2. Omar Vizquel SS S
    3. Randy Winn RF S
    4. Barry Bonds LF L
    5. Ray Durham 2B S
    6. Pedro Feliz 3B R
    7. Rich Aurilia 2B R
    8. Bengie Molina C R

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
    1. Orlando Hudson 2B S
    2. Stephen Drew SS L
    3. Conor Jackson 1B R
    4. Chad Tracy 3B L
    5. Eric Byrnes CF R
    6. Carlos Quentin RF R
    7. Chris Young LF R
    8. Chris Snyder C R

SAN DIEGO PADRES
    1. Brian Giles RF L
    2. Khalil Greene SS R
    3. Adrian Gonzalez 1B L
    4. Mike Cameron CF R
    5. Russell Branyan LF L
    6. Todd Walker 2B L
    7. Josh Bard C S
    8. Kevin Kouzmanoff (?)

COLORADO ROCKIES
    1. Kaz Matsui 2B S
    2. Todd Helton 1B L
    3. Garrett Atkins 3B R
    4. Matt Holiday LF R
    5. Brad Hawpe RF L
    6. Yorvit Torrealba C R
    7. Troy Tulowitzky SS R
    8. Corey Sullivan CF L

And pitching rotations:

Arizona
    B. Webb
    L. Hernandez
    R. Johnson
    D.Davis
    E. Gonzalez

Colorado
    J. Jennings
    A. Cook
    J. Francis
    J. Fogg
    B. Kim

San Diego
    J. Peavy
    C. Young
    G. Maddux
    C. Hensley
    M. Thompson

San Fransisco
    M. Cain
    N. Lowry
    M. Morris
    B. Hennessey
    J. Sanchez

The Dodgers lineup and depth at SP appears to be better than the other teams in their division.
    I truly expect the Dodgers to win the World Series this year with a balanced mix of youth and veterans. Where vets fail, youth will be given a chance and if not up to the task, Ned Coletti will acquire players near the deadline to fill the gaps.

Yahoo sports has the Dodgers infield ranked 11th out of the 16 NL teams.:x

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Yahoo sports has the Dodgers infield ranked 11th out of the 16 NL teams.:x
    This is before Spring Training even starts and based on projected line-ups....

Yes, the "experts" have a pretty good handle on these things but we never know when a player has a "career year" or a "breakout season".

Needless to say I put little faith in prognostications in any sport.

RnD

GO RAMS & Dodgers!:l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!