Thread: English Goalie

general counsel is offline Registered User

English Goalie

Lets hear from some of our friends accross the pond on the blown save that cost England a win vs the USA. Granted, the keeper made a great save at the end to preserve the tie, but unless i am badly mistaken, the USA goal was a screwup of biblical magnitude, and something that could get you killed if a goalie made that mistake in Columbia. In any event, Dez makes that save 100 out of 100 times.

Should the goalie be replaced for the next game? Are we amateurs in the usa missing something (ie was it a harder save than it looked like on tv)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: English Goalie

I was stunned to see the ball go in when I was watching that game. To break down the play, Dempsey made two excellent moves toward the goal basicly taking any defenders off of him. However the strike was weak for some reason, dempsey looked a little off balance but for whatever reason it was weak. The ball bounced right before the keeper tried to block it, changing the course a little but nothing that a world cup keeper shouldnt be able to handle. Green tried to block the ball when he probably should have tried to grab it. Regardless it was one of the biggest fluke goals I have ever seen. I think England should keep him in.

On a side note, the United states really came into their own in that game. After the flop of the last world cup, the U.S.A will most likely advance to the round of sixteen with England. I dont think other countries can afford to take them as a joke anymore, Donovan is better then expected and Dempsey seems to be everywhere at once. Thats not even mentioning Onyewu or Howard. If thay play like this the whole tournament I think they will be eliminated in the round of eight.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I don't think Green should be dropped but by the looks of things he will. I think USA were lucky to hang on for the draw, granted they played very well, some players in their defence caught my eye. Heskey should have scored but he blasted it straight at Howard and Wright-Philips then did exactly the same thing. I think USA will make it to the 2nd round and will probably play Germany at which point the whole of England will get behind the USA

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I don't think Green should be dropped but by the looks of things he will. I think USA were lucky to hang on for the draw, granted they played very well, some players in their defence caught my eye. Heskey should have scored but he blasted it straight at Howard and Wright-Philips then did exactly the same thing. I think USA will make it to the 2nd round and will probably play Germany at which point the whole of England will get behind the USA
    They wont be getting to the second round if Slovenia wins, currently 2-0. This is bad for United States fans.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

U.S. got jobbed on their "3rd" goal of the 2nd half. That should have been 3 points. Now, this could get really crazy if England slips and ties or loses to Algeria.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Lets hear from some of our friends accross the pond on the blown save that cost England a win vs the USA. Granted, the keeper made a great save at the end to preserve the tie, but unless i am badly mistaken, the USA goal was a screwup of biblical magnitude, and something that could get you killed if a goalie made that mistake in Columbia. In any event, Dez makes that save 100 out of 100 times.

Should the goalie be replaced for the next game? Are we amateurs in the usa missing something (ie was it a harder save than it looked like on tv)

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    It was a bad gaffe. Keepers are taught to get their body behind balls like that from youth league on. On the other hand, if this happened to a widely regarded player like Mark Schwarzer or Tim Howard, they'd probably shrug it off, but Robert Green doesn't enjoy such rarefied air. On the other-other hand, his would-be replacement "Calamity James" doesn't exactly inspire confidence that a change would be an improvement. I think David James starts, but for me, it might as well be a coin toss between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    U.S. got jobbed on their "3rd" goal of the 2nd half. That should have been 3 points. Now, this could get really crazy if England slips and ties or loses to Algeria.
    Agree. The fact that the ref couldn't or wouldn't explain what exactly the foul was or to whom it had been inflicted seems awfully dodgy.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

And look what just happened....England 0 Algeria 0. Oh my, major ramifications to this one.

1. England is -2 in goal differential to the USA going into the last game of group play.
    2. If the USA beats Algeria next Wednesday, that almost assure the USA a trip to the Round of 16.

England fans, stay away from sharp objects

Let me put it this way, I yelled at the TV so loud when the ref mad that call in the United States game, my down stairs neighbor cam and checked if I was alright. The simple fact is that the ref made a reactionary call, were there was none. Seeing that there was no foul, he refuses to say what the call was and is just going to hide behind FIFA.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Group C:
    Slovenia - 4 points
    U.S. - 2 points
    England - 2 points
    Algeria - 1 point

Just to recap the Group C Standings at this point, here are the scenarios under which each team can advance out of the group stage.

Slovenia advances if...

...they beat England. They go in as first seed.

...they tie England. In this scenario, Slovenia is first seed if the U.S. draws or loses. If the U.S. beats Algeria but fails to equalize or top Slovenia on goal differential or total goals, Slovenia would still be the first seed. If the U.S. scores exactly one more goal than Slovenia and both teams end with the same total number of goals scored in group play, the U.S. and Slovenia draw lots for seeding. If the U.S. tops Slovenia in goal differential or total goals, Slovenia is second seed.

...they lose to England and the U.S. draws with Algeria. They go in as second seed behind England.

...they lose to England, the U.S. loses to Algeria, and Algeria fails to score at least four goals more than Slovenia. In this scenario, Slovenia is second seed behind England.

The U.S. advances if...

...they beat Algeria. In this scenario, the U.S. advances as first seed if Slovenia and England draw and the U.S. wins by at least two. Or if the U.S. scores at least two more goals than Slovenia. Or if the U.S. scores one more goal than Slovenia with the total goals in group play coming out equal and the seeding goes to drawing of lots. If England and the U.S. both win their final matches, they both advance, and it would go to the goal differential or goals scored tiebreaker. Currently, the U.S. holds a 2 goal advantage in the latter.

...they tie Algeria and Slovenia beats England. The U.S. would advance as second seed and face the top team from Group D (likely Germany despite the setback against Serbia today).

...they tie Algeria, England and Slovenia draw, and England scores less than two goals more than the U.S. Again, they would be the second seed behind Slovenia.

...they tie Algeria, England and Slovenia draw, England equalizes on number of goals scored, and with all else equal it goes to drawing lots to advance.

England advances if...

...they beat Slovenia. In this scenario, England advances as first seed if the U.S. loses against Algeria. If the U.S. game is a draw, England and U.S. go to tiebreakers to determine first and second seeding.

...they tie Slovenia, the U.S. ties against Algeria, and England scores at least 3 goals more than the U.S. does in its match. England would advance as second seed and face the top team from Group D (likely Germany despite the setback against Serbia today).

...they tie Slovenia, the U.S. ties against Algeria, and England scores two more goals than the U.S. does in its match, and with all else equal it goes to drawing lots to advance. England would advance as second seed.

Algeria advances if...

...they beat the U.S., England beats Slovenia, and Algeria wins by a larger margin than England does. In this scenario, they are the second seed behind England.

...they beat the U.S. by one, England beats Slovenia by one, and they score at least four goals more than Slovenia does against England.

To sum up, Slovenia, the U.S., and England can each guarantee their own advancement into the next round with a win and still have hope with a draw. Algeria needs something akin to a miracle to advance.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -06-19-2010 at 12:52 AM.

USMCRamFan Guest

WoW that goal was very crazy and I was amazed to watch it go in! The look on the players and fans faces were priceless to say the least! lol

I think we should be a good match for Slovenia witht he added motivation of just beating them and getting in. I actually think our Fowards are slightly better than their defenders but will be a interesting match.