Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Kobe comparable to Jordan? Please.

Sportswriters are very bad historians. The latest example it the trend to start discussions of the upcoming NBA Finals by posing the question: "if Kobe wins another title or two, does that put him in the same sentence as Michael Jordan?"

Are you kidding me?

Let's look at a few facts, shall we?

Jordan played in six Championship Series, winning all six. He was the MVP of... you guessed it... all six.

Kobe has played in four Championship series, winning three. He was the MVP of... you guessed it... none of them. In fact, Kobe hasn't played all that well in the finals, with a shooting % hovering around .400. In the three series he won, he was essentially carried by Shaq (who, of course, was the MVP of all three).

Looking at the playoffs as a whole, Michael played in 179 playoff games (would have been more had he not taken his baseball hiatus in his prime), and averaged 33.4 points (shooting % of .487), 6.4 rebounds and 5.7 assists.

Kobe has played in 146 playoff game, averaging 24.2 points (shooting % of .447), 5.1 rebounds and 4.6 assists.

Jordan was the best of all time. Kobe does not need to be comparable to Jordan to be an all time great. The problem is, sportswriters always want to act like they are watching something that has never been seen before.

They aren't.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Kobe comparable to Jordan? Please.

Kobe was real young his first stint in the NBA Finals, Jordan was a seasoned vet. Jordon had Pippen, Paxson, Kerr, Rodman, Horry, Cartwright....Kobe had Shaq and well....Shaq. Now it's Kobe and the rest.

Kobe and Jordon were both excellent defenders. I think Kobe right now is just as good as Jordon was and maybe better with the cast that is around him and the cast that was around Jordon.

I will say this, if either one of them had the ball for my team to make the winning shot.....I wouldn't mind.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Ok, lets forget about all the championships, playoff appearances, and mvp's, becauce after all, these two wouldn't be able to do all that by themselves.

Look at it like this. Who would win in a pick-up 1v1 game, with both in their prime. I dont think Jordan would completely dominate Kobe, it would be a close game. That's why they are comparable, because of what they can do without teammate help (drive, jump shot, defend etc.) When Kobe retires, then we can talk about whos the better player. That's fair enough.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

After reading Phil Jackson's book that covered the KOBE vs SHAQ years, I was down on KOBE big time. He was acting like a spoiled brat during that time. I have to admit I'm back on the KOBE bandwagon after seeing how he has matured and led this seasons edition of the LOS ANGELES LAKERS.

Is he as good or better than Michael Jordan? Only time will tell. A Lakers NBA Title this season without SHAQ will speak volumes for KOBE.

Ugh.

I guess I should not be surprised how people have bought into the hype.

First of all, the Lakers Championship teams had plenty of quality role players, including Rick Fox, A.C. Green, Glenn Rice, Robert Horry, Ron Harper, Brian Shaw and Derrick Fisher. No matter how you slice it, though, it was Shaq who carried those teams to championships.

As for who would win a one on one game... who cares? That would be like saying that Trung Canidate was better than Marshall Faulk because he could be him in a 40 yard race.

The question is who was a better player. Michael was the best I've ever seen (and I've been watching NBA basketball since the late 70s). Magic would be next on the list. Kobe's not even in that discussion.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jordon is the standard, Kobe is being measured UP to Jordan. Jordon is better in every measurable. Making this comparison is a reach, even if it's premised on Kobe winning a few more titles. I suppose if the Lakers with Kobe win 3 or 4 more titles and his numbers continue to be off the charts, he could certainly be in a situation where you could "put him in the same sentence as Michael Jordan", but that is light years away at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Ugh.

As for who would win a one on one game... who cares? That would be like saying that Trung Canidate was better than Marshall Faulk because he could be him in a 40 yard race.

The question is who was a better player.
    How does a 1v1 not show who is the better player? A 40 yd dash race would be like a 3pt shot contest.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Let's be fair. Look at the team Jordan got to play with compared to Kobe. Jordan had a better supporting cast (both in starters and bench) in his championship years, and the MVP was simply a lust thing. He was anointed God by the east coast biased writers. So was Shaq, even though his accomplishments were significantly less. Kobe can't launch from the free throw line and dunk like Jordan (the trade mark and source of mythical prowess), but he can literally take over a game in more dramatic fashion than Jordan ever did. Kobe is much more versatile and dynamic. Unfortunately, Kobe had to overcome the doubters of a high school player making it in the NBA, and later dealing with the speculators that it was on Shaq's back that won the championship. The truth be told though, Labron James has the potential to out shine them all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Let's be fair. Look at the team Jordan got to play with compared to Kobe. Jordan had a better supporting cast (both in starters and bench) in his championship years, and the MVP was simply a lust thing. He was anointed God by the east coast biased writers. So was Shaq, even though his accomplishments were significantly less. Kobe can't launch from the free throw line and dunk like Jordan (the trade mark and source of mythical prowess), but he can literally take over a game in more dramatic fashion than Jordan ever did.
    Kobe certainly didn't take over the game in dramatic fashion tonight. 9 for 26 is nowhere near Jordanesque and his performance in crunch time was abysmal. Good thing this was only game 1.

As far as the argument that Kobe didn't have the talent around him that Jordan did, I don't buy it. The talent was comparable, bottom line.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -06-06-2008 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    How does a 1v1 not show who is the better player?
    Because the game played in the NBA is 5 on 5. That means the game involves passing, moving without the ball, setting and using screens, team defense, rebounding in a crowd, and a lot of other skills and abilities that are not present in 1 on 1.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Kobe certainly didn't take over the game in dramatic fashion tonight. 9 for 26 is nowhere near Jordanesque and his performance in crunch time was abysmal. Good thing this was only game 1.

As far as the argument that Kobe didn't have the talent around him that Jordan did, I don't buy it. The talent was comparable, bottom line.
    Oh yeah? Yo Mama!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Because the game played in the NBA is 5 on 5. That means the game involves passing, moving without the ball, setting and using screens, team defense, rebounding in a crowd, and a lot of other skills and abilities that are not present in 1 on 1.
    Kobe can be as effective as Jordan in all those aspects of the game. That certainly makes him comparable to Jordan as a player.
    Last edited by eric2810; -06-10-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Kobe will never be Jordan because he'll never have the impact Jordan did on the sport. Bryant is a guy who can do an incredible amount on his own, but as of right now, it wouldn't be a debate about which one of them was better. In fact, the question sort of makes the point itself. Right now are asking whether they're comparable, not whether Kobe might be better.

If we talk about LeBron or any other rising star, we'd compare him to Kobe as a contemporary or a rival but not as the standard. Jordan is the standard. If you want to talk about the team Jordan played with, that's relevant, too, because Jordan actually could play with a team. With Kobe, it seems like there's always a conflict. This year is noteworthy simply because the team actually seems to be getting along.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Oh yeah? Yo Mama!
    Ah Celtic fans. How'd you like the game tonight Randy?

prof22693 is offline Registered User

I agree with Avenger, Fleece, and r8rh8rmike on this one. People cannot simply throw around the fact that "Jordan had better teams" and such. The Lakers had a very talented team who could not execute in the finals this year. The Lakers blew game 4 after a 21 point lead on the Celtics which is embarrassing and reflective on Kobe; if he really was a Jordan type player, he wouldn't let a game like that get out of hand and blow those kinds of leads. This was something Jordan never did. He still has the monster numbers, even with the amazing supporting cast he had. Jordan can't be blamed for having a great team. As for the argument that the MVP award was a bit of "lust", I believe 6/6 finals MVP awards has to be reflective on Jordan's performance. In the end Kobe wasn't able to carry his team. He's a great player, one of the all time greatest, but he can't be thrown out and compared to Jordan, just because he is the present standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast