Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RAM29JACKSON Guest

Re: Kobe says he wants to be traded

in history- it appears Kobe is just another dominique wilkins. reeeeaallly good, but not a champion. Heck, even cleveland with lebron climbed the mountain faster than the Lakers who are supposed to be talented at reloading.
    and shaq left him and got another championship with an old laker coach. he is starting to get older, yet he already has 3 championships . he needs to shut up and enjoy the ride. the only teams that are capable of a championship run wouldnt want him. so he would be going to another sub par team. he has never known how good he really had/has it. If KG comes but he leaves, the lakers are in the same boat. but if they can work kobe staying with KG coming the story might be different.
    and whoever mentioned vince carter as a possibility, he would be a nice add- on, but not an intriquet piece to a championship puzzle.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

whoever mentioned vince carter as a possibility, he would be a nice add- on, but not an intriquet piece to a championship puzzle.
    If it is KG VC and KB things will be dirty. That team would dominate.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Most of the people I know are getting more disgusted with the NBA with each new prima-donna that spouts off and makes demands of their clubs and/or creates another child with women who are not their wives.

Many have quit watching NBA games except on the occasional basis.
    Nobody seems to be disgusted with LeBron James (he's the face of the league) yet he has kids and isn't married. You have to separate personal from professional. Our own Leonard Little is another example of separating personal from professional.

People all over the world are having kids when they aren't married, it's not just athletes, so whether you like it or not, think it's right or wrong, it shouldn't have any bearing on watching a game.

As for players being prima donna's of course there are some, more money is floating around, kids are immature, and some guys never grow up. The one good thing the league did do is stop high school kids from being eligible for the draft.

There are more players who get "it" than there are prima donna's in the league. I'm not a Lakers fan, I don't care about Kobe although he does have a great game. He's surrounded by a less than mediocre team and is frustrated is how I see it. He's probably not going about it the right way, but when "Smush" Parker and Kwame Brown are in your starting 5, and your only other somewhat legit option is Lamar Odom you aren't going to win, and deep down I think that's what Kobe wants. He wants to win a ring without Shaq, and there is no chance of that with that team. Frustration can cause one to be irrational at times.

Just some info on my basketball background, because I'm not a fan of how basketball has become more of a one on one, or one on 2,3,4,5 type game, but I'm still a fan and don't anticipate not ever being an NBA fan. I'm an old school 80s guy, I watched/watch as many NBA games as possible, but I started following the Jazz exclusively when Stockton and Malone got there (Stockton was there one year earlier) and played together. That was old school, technically sound, good fundamental basketball back in the 80s (with the Celts, Lakers, then the late 80s early 90s Pistons and of course the hated by me 90s Bulls) but the Jazz still play old school today and most of the league doesn't anymore which in my eyes is too bad, but things change.

I was a pseudo Lakers fan for one year when Karl Malone went there and I really wanted them to win when I knew that Utah had no chance. I watched more Lakers games that year than I ever have before even including watching the Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Showtime era.

So if people can separate the personal from professional, and see that for every Kobe or Marburry there are twice as many players who aren't prima donna's like them, watching the NBA will be a better experience and hopefully people can enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

general counsel is offline Registered User

THe Lakers havent really been the same since Happy Hairston retired.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAM29JACKSON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    THe Lakers havent really been the same since Happy Hairston retired.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    youre absolutely right ! they became much better and more dominant over a longer period of time.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

I get the sentiment you are touching on RamsBruce but role models is what players should be. Sports media takes a-hole players and makes them famous. TO is the biggest story in the NFL as far as wide receivers go. All the drama he creates is good for buisness, same thing with Kobe. Kobe actually is the best player in the NBA though unlike TO. I look at our Rams and am stoked that we only have one a-hole on the team. I personally think Little should have been cut when he got his second DUI. He murdered someone in a drunk driving accident!!! Then to still drink and drive that shows me a person that has no remorse for his actions. You have to take the personal lives of these players into consideration when the media creates such a huge distraction with their stories. Kobe at the moment is a distraction, TO same thing, what about Marbury? oh you betcha. These crybaby Im bigger then life players tarnish the whole leagues image. I think of Rasheed Wallace on the court he is a fierce competitor with a quick temper. When he is not playing ball he is a a great father and a community leader. I respect him for that.He is also very loyal to his teams and poors his guts out for them every time he steps on the court. I would rather see a player be obnoxious on the court or field then in the streets. These are not just stories now of people getting silly drunk and acting a fool. These are stories of guys raping, beating and yes sometimes murdering. It all starts some where and maybe it starts with taking 18 year olds and making them instant millionaires without giving them time to mature. Maybe it starts when the league let's people like Kobe bully their teams and pull this crap. The Lakers Orginization is way beyond this little punk. The NBA logo is modeled after famous Laker Jerry West. I feel as a fan that has stood by Kobe through it all that I have every right to be pissed. This guy has slapped me in the face for the last time. I personally would love to see him go. The Legue should take a stand and say you want to holdout on a contract that you signed then guess what, you are no longer welcome in this league. Its called integrity you sign a contract you live up to it.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -06-26-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Longtime: My main point was adressing Rams&Dodgers statement about NBA players having kids and not being married. That should have no bearing on whether you watch a game or follow a player. It's separating personal from professional, and I brought up Little as another example because it has been a hot topic the past few days. I'm not excusing Little's behavior whatsoever, it was a terrible tragedy that should have been avoided.

(Just a side note that Little was acquitted of the second charge.)

Back to the topic at hand, it's just not realistic to expect all athletes to be role models, many are and that's great, some aren't and that's too bad, but again I go back to separating personal from professional. The media does not dictate to me how I should view a player, I figure that out myself. When I'm watching a game, it's just about the game. It's not about what the specific athlete does with his personal life. That is a completely different discussion, so like I said having kids out of wedlock which was one of RnDs points should have no bearing on whether you watch the NBA or not.

As for Kobe he certainly isn't the first player to be unhappy with his current team and creating waves to try and force a trade, and he won't be the last. Nobody said you can't be upset with Kobe and you can want him gone, but if it works out and he is still a Laker you will be happy when he hits the game winning shot.....why???...because you want the Lakers to win bottom line. You can still not like what he's done, or how he has conducted himself, but you will take the win because you are a fan of the TEAM.
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Hey RamsBruce,

I can appreciate your point on the out-of-wedlock kids but that wasn't my point. It was simply one of many issues in today's society in a whole which seems magnified by the near glorification of a professional athlete's lifestyle.

It was not meant as a personal or moral attack on anyone in particular as there have been out-of-wedlock kids almost as long as the invention of the act which causes them. It has even occurred several time in my family alone.

I suppose if one is a fan of the NBA then behavior of it's players, on OR off the court, may not diminish your love of the game. For those of us who are lukewarm fans it can be enough to dissuade us from watching the games or caring about it's players.

Personally while Kobe may arguably be "the best player in the NBA" it seems the sooner he is gone and the Lakers have a TEAM the better their chances are for advancing to the Divisional Championships leat alone the NBA Championship instead of being ousted (routed?) in the first or second round.

If Kobe and Shaq would have settled for being team mates and not adversaries they could possibly be working on filling the off-hand fingers with rings to complement their other hand.

Just MHO, for what is worth. (Which isn't always much I am told...lol)
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

Once you become a proffesional athlete your personal life does count though. Maybe not in the regards of hey I have illegitimate children. There is things you have to be responsible for though. From the Pacmans to the TO's to the Kobes I have just had enough of these guys. I know there is alot of good players with great hearts in pro sports. I would have to say that influences me in my point of view big time. Why do I still support Kurt? First superbowl all the excitement? Its actually because he is such a great role model. So if a persons personal life can make me love them then it could surely make me say I cant stand that guy.

BTW if Kobe is a Laker at the start of the season then I think Im done till he's gone.I will just simply chose not to watch.

Longtime: I never said their personal life doesn't count, I said to watch and enjoy a sport you have to separate personal from professional. In reality unless you know the specific athlete personally you don't know much at all about his personal life, and since controversial stories sell papers that's what you hear/read about the most (some are true, some are embellished, and some aren't true) . So if you take what's being said/written with a grain of salt and separate personal from professional it's a lot more fun to watch the sport.

As to you not watching the Lakers if Kobe comes back, let me ask you this Longtime. What Little did was so much worse than what Kobe is doing, so why didn't you stop watching the Rams when Little was convicted?

RAM29JACKSON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Longtime: I never said their personal life doesn't count, I said to watch and enjoy a sport you have to separate personal from professional. In reality unless you know the specific athlete personally you don't know much at all about his personal life, and since controversial stories sell papers that's what you hear/read about the most (some are true, some are embellished, and some aren't true) . So if you take what's being said/written with a grain of salt and separate personal from professional it's a lot more fun to watch the sport.

As to you not watching the Lakers if Kobe comes back, let me ask you this Longtime. What Little did was so much worse than what Kobe is doing, so why didn't you stop watching the Rams when Little was convicted?
    its a larger team and you can lose Little in a crowd LOL Kobe is too prominant on the screen. The truth is Kobe is just another primadona athlete lost in his own reality. coddled to no end, didnt go to college, had already seen parts of europe as a child, inherited dads talent. Gave him the coach he wanted-twice- . Flew his butt to Colorado and back numerous times........AND HE ALREADY HAS THREE CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS !!!!!!!!!...........................The whiney little millionair needs to SHUT-UP !

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

Little has not made himself the focal point of the team. Kobe has caused all of us fans that supported him to look like fools. You dont understand how many times I had to sit there and say "Dude its not all his fault", or "Dude Shaq was a big baby". No one gets along with this guy. I also did not hear about the whole incident with Little until he got busted again and then yes aquited.The point is if he had one beer that was too many for a guy that killed someone in a drunk driving accident. If Little not only commited these crimes but also cried about new contracts and threatened to not play for a whole season the guess what? BYE see ya buddy.

Little is a Ram and while he is here I hope he produces. I started saying that last season about Kobe as my favor of him slipped. Now though he has said he wants out that he does not want to be here. We got rid of Shaq with the expectation that Kobe would be our franchise player and a team couild be built around him. Instead of being patient he is being a whiner. I did seperate his personal life from his game. This new development is not personal it is basketball related.

Well I guess I just don't understand you letting Kobe dictate whether or not you will watch the Lakers. I get that you don't like how he was/is handling himself (if I were a Lakers fan I wouldn't like it either), but if it were me I wouldn't let him ruin the game for me as a fan of the team. Now I guess it all depends on how diehard you are for the Lakers but my take on you is that you are a diehard fan, so like I said I just don't understand how or why you would let Kobe ruin watching the Lakers if he does stay with the team next season.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

I hear you man I have loved the Lakers since a young age. The tradition this team has is one of the best stories in sports. I mean when you think basketball champions you think Lakers and Celtics. If he stays and relents and says the main objective was to try and use his influence to get a championship caliber team then maybe. Unfortuantly at this point I just dont see that happening. I would not abandon the lakers just the KOBE Lakers. Right now he is all they have and I dislike him enough now to say I cannot support him winning. He has shown that the team really does not mean much to him. He wants championships not for the orginization but for his own personal reputation. he knows if he does not win without Shaq his image will always be shattered. I enjoy watching him play I might argue he is the most clutch player I have ever seen. He needs to grow up already though with the whole Shaq thing which he has brought up this off season. What was Jordan without Pippen, Grant, Armstrong and Rodman. What about the showtime Lakers Majic, Green, Worthy, Scott Mr 3 point, and of course Kareem. He wants to prove he could do it without Shaq yet realizes he needs a superstar to win. Whats the difference if that superstar was Shaq or Garnett or Kidd I mean either way he needs help and that is why it is a team game. I mean seriously could Shaq have done it without him? Yes, but he had a Wade without wade and Kobe Shaq might be nearing retirement without a ring. Thats the game you need a team and Kobe needs to show he is a team mate. When he stops puting himself before the team and causing all this b.s then maybe I will give him another chance.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

At this point, after the Draft if that's what we want to call it, I see no choice for the Lakers but to trade Kobe, get some quality TEAM players that Phil can work with and move on. They have some very talented young guns that can become very solid players. If they can add experienced players via a trade this team will be good down the road. They are in rebuilding mode right now, the question is do they carry a IMO crybaby superstar who will stab his fellow teammates in the back, or do they seek a fresh start toward a new dynasty?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast