r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Lance Armstrong The Greatest Athlete Ever?

There's discussion everywhere about Lance Armstrong and where he ranks in "the greatest athlete of all time" debate. Everyone seems to have an opinion, even those who never saw him perform. Some say all he did was ride a bike. Some say he had great lung capacity, but can't be considered one of the all-time great athletes based on being a "freak of nature". Some say he didn't possses the hand/eye coordination to hit a 90 MPH fastball or stop and pop a jump shot. Some say he had no real competition and never had to come through in a do or die final clutch moment. Some say he ranks high, but not at the top. Then of course, there are those that say what he has accomplished is so incredible and monumental, no other athlete can compare, making him the greatest ever.

What say you?

rampower is offline Registered User

Re: Lance Armstrong The Greatest Athlete Ever?

I think he will struggle to be rated with the best purely due to the popularity of his sport, or relative lack there of. Le tour is an amazing endurance test of the human body, to win it 7 times is unbeleavable, to me he does rank with the best sportsman ever.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Training for the Tour de France is an all year round excursion. Lance would start training for this two week race, two week's after each Tour de France he competed in. Training wasn't easy either.

Armstrong is one of the best athletes of our time. If not the best.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Personally I do not think he is the "greatest athlete of all time". That distinction is far too encompassing to single out one individual athlete.

No doubt he is a great cyclist and what he has accomplished in the Tour De France may never again be equaled. One thing to keep in mind is that Lance rides for a team and his team goes a long ways in helping him win the Tour De France. It is not entirely an individual effort on the part of Lance.

I consider the Tour De France to be an endurance event and there are certainly others who have competed and done very well in endurance events on a more individual basis, rather than with the help of a team.

Great athelete: most definately

Greatest athlete of all time: I don't think so

P.S. - I read something on the net the other day that indicated Lance might be eyeing a political career. Gee, I wonder if anyone will vote for him based on his past knowledge and record of serving constituents in any level of government?

:clanram:

When I look at all the things that make a great athlete: ability, skill, heart, perserverance, drive, domination, clutch performance, intelligence, longevity, intuitiveness, consistency, work ethic, preparation, dedication and end result, I honestly see no other athlete that can touch Lance Armstrong.

He's performed for seven straight years at the highest level in a sport that demands more physically and mentally than arguably any other, that is literally often a life and death endeaver, with every other competitor and team specifically working and planning year in and year out, to defeat just you.

IMO, the case can be made that Lance Armstrong is the greatest athlete of our time.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well it is hard to argue with the things you have presented Mike.

I don't disagree with what you have stated, but at the same time, it is hard for me to give the nod to just one great athlete as the greatest of our time or all-time.

To me, athletes like Michael Jordon, Bo Jackson, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Dan Gable, Muhammad Ali, Eric Heiden, Bob Mathias, Jesse Owens, Bob Richards, Mark Spitz, Bruce Jenner, Phil Mahre...(to name a few) have to compare favorably with Lance Armstrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Well it is hard to argue with the things you have presented Mike.

I don't disagree with what you have stated, but at the same time, it is hard for me to give the nod to just one great athlete as the greatest of our time or all-time.

To me, athletes like Michael Jordon, Bo Jackson, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Dan Gable, Muhammad Ali, Eric Heiden, Bob Mathias, Jesse Owens, Bob Richards, Mark Spitz, Bruce Jenner, Phil Mahre...(to name a few) have to compare favorably with Lance Armstrong.
    Four years ago I would have agreed with you completely Ferter. But after becoming completely absorbed in the Tour the last several years and seeing the amazing things this guy has done in a vastly underrated and misunderstood sport, I'm convinced he has no equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    P.S. - I read something on the net the other day that indicated Lance might be eyeing a political career. Gee, I wonder if anyone will vote for him based on his past knowledge and record of serving constituents in any level of government?
    Speaking of politics Ferter, Lance has a pretty good perspective:

"The problem with politics is that it's not so far from what I do now. You get put up there, and people throw stuff at you."

Chiledog is offline Registered User

I would say, not the greatest athlete ever, since to earn that title I think he is too specialized. However, he has dominated his sport like perhaps no one has ever done in any sport before, ever...
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers