throwback week

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Man-Ram a Dodger!?!?

07/31/2008 8:54 PM ET
    LA lands Manny in three-team deal
    Dodgers send LaRoche, Morris to Bucs; Bay goes to Boston
    By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers' seemingly futile search for a slugger has finally ended with, of all people, future Hall of Famer Manny Ramirez.
    In the most spectacular in-season acquisition in the 50-year history of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Ramirez was obtained from the Red Sox on Thursday for third baseman Andy LaRoche and former first-round Draft pick pitcher Bryan Morris, who headed to the Pirates. Jason Bay went from Pittsburgh to Boston, and the Pirates received two prospects from the Red Sox.

Ramirez, a 36-year-old 12-time All-Star and nine-time Silver Slugger, forced Boston to finally deal him in the last week, and he nearly went to the Florida Marlins in a three-team deal with Pittsburgh that would have also brought Bay to the Red Sox.

But that deal unraveled Thursday and the Dodgers were brought into the talks by the Sox only four hours before the Trade Deadline. Without having to move top young outfielder Matt Kemp, the Dodgers augmented their youthful core with the infusion of a feared offensive presence into the middle of the lineup. Ramirez is expected to be in the lineup Friday night.

"We're focused on winning the division and going as deep as we can into October," said Dodgers chairman Frank McCourt. "We want to win right here and right now, and that's why we made this trade."

Ramirez cost nothing financially, as the Red Sox are paying the remaining $7 million of his salary. In exchange for waiving his trade veto rights, the two option years of his contract were voided and he will be eligible for free agency after this season.

"We have one of the better hitters of his generation coming in," said general manager Ned Colletti. "He's a champion and a winner. We couldn't be happier."

Ramirez has 20 home runs, 68 RBIs and a .299 average this season. He has 510 career home runs in 15 Major League seasons, one batting title and has led the American League in slugging percentage three times.

In the process, he's been a longtime nemesis of the Yankees and their former manager, Joe Torre.

"I did everything I could not to see this guy again, and all of a sudden he's showing up in the uniform I'm wearing, and that's really special -- it really is," said Torre, who's in his first season at the Dodgers' helm.

Over the last five seasons, the only defensive position Ramirez has played is left field, which will leave Torre with an outfield crowd of Ramirez, Kemp, Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones and Andre Ethier. Because Ramirez could be gone by the winter, Colletti said he is in no hurry to trade any of them.

"This just came together and we're not good enough to make a corresponding move yet," said Colletti. "We'll figure that out."

Torre, who even with injuries to Jones and Pierre has been challenged with parsing playing time for four outfielders, now has five.

"I don't know what my thinking is right now," said Torre. "Manny obviously will be in the middle of that lineup, and we're just going to have to, as we go along, try to figure it out. I'll probably get the whole team in there together before we break up for our normal meetings, just to sort of give them some thoughts. I really don't know who's going to get impacted the most on this thing."

Ramirez, a Dominican Republic native, is a veteran of nine postseasons, including four World Series. He also played in the 1995 and 1997 Fall Classics with Cleveland. Ramirez is baseball's all-time postseason home run leader with 24, and ranks second with 64 RBIs. Among active players, Ramirez ranks third in RBIs, fifth in home runs, sixth in on-base percentage (.409) and seventh in batting average. He also ranks eighth in baseball history, and second among active players behind only Albert Pujols (.620), with a .590 slugging percentage. He ranks 23rd on baseball's all-time RBI list with 1,672. He has logged at least 100 RBIs in 11 seasons, including nine straight campaigns from 1998-2006.

LaRoche was considered by many to be the best prospect in the Dodgers' organization a year ago, but he's been given several chances to take the starting third-base job the past two years and hasn't hit.

Morris is a right-handed pitcher and former first-round Draft pick who underwent Tommy John elbow ligament reconstruction surgery last year.

Ramirez's acquisition capped roster improvement that was triggered by the serious injury to shortstop Rafael Furcal's back, which forced Colletti to begin the moves June 7, when he acquired former American League Rookie of the Year Angel Berroa from Kansas City for Minor Leaguer Juan Rivera. On July 20, he further bolstered the thin infield by signing free agent Pablo Ozuna, who had been released by the White Sox.

On July 26, with Arizona among the clubs showing interest, Colletti acquired Casey Blake from Cleveland for Minor Leaguers Jon Meloan and Carlos Santana. His desire was to obtain an offensive-minded shortstop, but when he found the cost prohibitive, he broadened the search to include third basemen. Blake entered Thursday 7-for-17 with three doubles and four runs scored since the trade.

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

LA lands Manny in three-team deal | Dodgers.com: News

RnD

GO RAMS!!

moloch41 Guest

Re: Man-Ram a Dodger!?!?

As a Yankee fan, I'm glad to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    As a Yankee fan, I'm glad to see him go.

As a Dodgers fan I was not excited to hear about the trade but it did not cost us much and we did desperately need a bat since Andruw was a wash-out and injuries have been too common. Again.

If Manram can keep his cool and put us over the top the risk/reward may be worth it. It isn't like he has been arrested, just the atypical superstar attitude which is a turn off, but winning soothes the savage beast.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Manny is a space shot. A great hitter with lot's of power but he's still a space shot. Torre says Manny will be in the middle of the line-up. I wonder how Jeff Kent is going to react to Manny. Seems like oil and water to me especially if Manny takes the clean-up spot away from Kent.

GO DODGERS!!!

moloch41 Guest

I dunno- I was a big Torre fan, but over the past 8 yrs or so, he's shown that he can do very little with a lot of high-priced talent. I think you're lucky you're in the NL West otherwise you wouldn't have had a chance or reason to pursue Ramirez. At .500, you'd be way out of it in any other division. I just think once the Yankees lost their locker room leadership (i.e. O'Neill, Martinez, and Brosious), the team played with no fire and adopted Torre's "Ho Hum- better luck next time" attitude. The thing that ended it for me with Torre was when we blew that 3-0 playoff lead to the Red Sox and the players were just striking out, shrugging their shoulders, strolling back to the dugout, and calmly placing their bats back in the holders. If Paul O'Neill had been on that team, Yankee stadium would have been set ablaze!!! Torre just sort of said, "Oh well, everyone's doing their best." I think Torre's laissez-faireattitude will be the worst thing for an A-Hole like Manny. He's a great hitter (makes a bunch of stupid plays in the outfield), but I'm sick of hearing the whole "Manny being Manny" thing.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What's the story with Manny's hair? Also #99???

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What's the story with Manny's hair? Also #99???

Don't the Dodgers have rules about hair length like the Yankees?

He couldn't keep 24, his number in Boston, because it was Hall of Fame manager Walter Alston's and it's retired. He didn't want 28, suggested equipment manager Mitch Poole, and asked for 34, but was told that had been Fernando Valenzuela's and nobody's worn it since he was released. Then he wanted 66, which was no problem, but he changed his mind. He asked if he could have 11 as a tribute to coach Manny Mota, but decided against it. He accepted 99, only to walk into the clubhouse Friday and ask for 28, the original suggestion.

By that time, the marketing department had already begun churning out Manny gear with 99 on the back. So, 99 it is.

Before he hit the field, Ramirez also met with manager Joe Torre and agreed to cut his dreadlocks. Once again, Ramirez gave the club reason to worry exactly who this guy was when he said:

"I don't want them to treat me different than the other guys," he said in sharp contrast to the selfish reputation he developed over the years with the Red Sox. "I'll cut it. Don't worry, it'll grow back. No big deal."

From Dodger's site archives.....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

In the most spectacular in-season acquisition in the 50-year history of the Los Angeles Dodgers

Did they forget the ground-breaking trade of Glenn Burke for Bill North?!

I was not excited about the hiring of the "headcase" but he does seem to be making the rest of the team better if only because the batters around him get better pitches...

Manny's stats (so far) are nothing to sneeze at either...

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

1 42 9 20 3 0 4 14 35 6 5 0 0 .560 .833 .476
    RnD

GO RAMS!!