Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

MLB trade rumors thread

With the July 31 trade deadline approaching, I felt this would be a good place for those interested to post interesting rumors that they hear. Here goes:

Though there's not much supporting evidence presented, The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Detroit Tigers are close to acquiring Bobby Abreu from the Philadelphia Phillies. The story also says that the Los Angeles Dodgers are talking with the Cleveland Indians about third baseman Aaron Boone. More

Yahoo! Sports' Take: The Tigers have denied having interest in Abreu for the last month, probably because they would have to assume Abreu's monster contract. He is owed $13 million in 2006 and $15 million in 2007, plus a $16 million club option for 2008. Because of Abreu's full no-trade clause, Abreu controls his future. He would almost surely demand that option be picked up in order to move to Detroit or anywhere else, meaning he would be owed about $38 million over the next 2 seasons. That severely limits his trade value.

As for the Dodgers, Cesar Izturis is the best defensive third baseman in the league, but the club knows it must give him an occasional break. If L.A. is chasing Boone, Bill Mueller's knee injury must be really bad. Olmedo Saenz can play third, but is most valuable as a late-inning pinch-hitter.

Miguel Tejada could force the Baltimore Orioles' hand if he keeps showing up to the ballpark late. Alfonso Soriano likely will be dealt, though the Angels likely would only be interested if they could negotiate a contract extension before the deal. Carlos Lee could be moved if the Milwaukee Brewers fall apart in the next two weeks.
    Last edited by Bruce=GOAT; -07-17-2006 at 06:40 PM.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: MLB trade rumors thread

I think I heard a rumor that the Braves are willing to trade John Smoltz

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT
    With the July 31 trade deadline approaching, I felt this would be a good place for those interested to post interesting rumors that they hear. Here goes:

Though there's not much supporting evidence presented, The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Detroit Tigers are close to acquiring Bobby Abreu from the Philadelphia Phillies. The story also says that the Los Angeles Dodgers are talking with the Cleveland Indians about third baseman Aaron Boone. More

Yahoo! Sports' Take: The Tigers have denied having interest in Abreu for the last month, probably because they would have to assume Abreu's monster contract. He is owed $13 million in 2006 and $15 million in 2007, plus a $16 million club option for 2008. Because of Abreu's full no-trade clause, Abreu controls his future. He would almost surely demand that option be picked up in order to move to Detroit or anywhere else, meaning he would be owed about $38 million over the next 2 seasons. That severely limits his trade value.

As for the Dodgers, Cesar Izturis is the best defensive third baseman in the league, but the club knows it must give him an occasional break. If L.A. is chasing Boone, Bill Mueller's knee injury must be really bad. Olmedo Saenz can play third, but is most valuable as a late-inning pinch-hitter.

Miguel Tejada could force the Baltimore Orioles' hand if he keeps showing up to the ballpark late. Alfonso Soriano likely will be dealt, though the Angels likely would only be interested if they could negotiate a contract extension before the deal. Carlos Lee could be moved if the Milwaukee Brewers fall apart in the next two weeks.
    I'm a huge (ANAHEIM) Angels fan; but I don't see why they would want Soriano at this point. Any ideas why?

WHAT SAY YE?

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I think the Angrls would want Soriano because from what I've heard, although I haven't seen them play, that they need another bat.

The pirates are reporteed of being willing to trade their closer.

The pirates are reporteed of being willing to trade their closer.
    Their closer, Mike Gonzalez, would be a huge addition to any contending team. The only problem is that whoever winds up with him, will have to pay a very steep price to obtain him meaning their top prospect.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Even though the Angels are playing good ball right now and have made a move in the West they still need a big bat and that is why they are interested in Soriano. However, the Nats asking price is a bit too high as they are asking for Kendrick and another top prospect. The Angels are also interested in Tejada. Right now everyone's asking price is pretty steep, maybe in another week things will start to loosen up and we'll see things start to really get done.
    Sprtsmac :football:

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Braves | Team acquires Wickman
    Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:41:40 -0700

Jerry Crasnick, of ESPN.com, reports the Atlanta Braves have acquired Cleveland Indians CL Bob Wickman in exchange for minor league C Max Ramirez, according to a baseball source.
    Thats what I'm talkin about!
    RamsFan16

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Good trade considering what they gave up but there is a reason the indians only wanted a minors catcher.

TNRamFan23 is offline Registered User

I'd love to see the Cards trade for Smoltz not to close but to start..

guess now that Atlanta has a closer, Smoltz is staying put.

Pitty.

htp://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt...yhoo&type=lgns

Just add the t in http for the link

That new Brave was 1-4 i think but they need a closer... I read somewhere that the braves had around 20 blown saves

I think they have like 24 Blown Saves.
    RamsFan16

But thats still a lot..... They could have been first in NL East

I know, we would be in first in the NL East if Reitsma didn't suck ahole.
    RamsFan16

I know, we would be in first in the NL East if Reitsma didn't suck ahole.
    I wouldn't expect much more out of Wickman either. At least the wild card race is wide open, cause the Mets are for real.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast