Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2006 thread

Nobody has faith in Serbia?

Is the team still called Serbia and Montenegro, since Montenegro split up a few days ago?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Did anyone see that comeback win by the Australians? It was pretty surprising. The Czech Republic/U.S.A. game was just brutal, though. I don't think any other game in the tournament so far has been that one-sided.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

USA got owned today. I guess thats why were not a big soccer country! We have our own football!
    RamsFan16

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

In america we are all about the ladies. Greatest female soccer players in the world. Today was a reality check for anybody that thought we could compete on that stage. Dont get me wrong I would love to see it happen its just a long shot especially after today.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Rip32 is offline Registered User

America were just outplayed by one of the best teams in the world at the moment and one of the most exciting young players Thomas Rosicky.

Altough I think Italy will beat America and they could struggle against Ghana,They just lack any real firepower there best player Demarcus Beasley,I think I heard his name about 5 times the whole game

Milan is offline Registered User

Anyone see Robben in the Netherlands-Serbia game? Man, was he good. I'm still a little mad about the loss though.

Robben did look pretty sharp in that game, but I was even more impressed with Riquelme's individual effort in the Argentina game. His passing really set things up time after time, and he was instrumental in both of the team's goals. Of course, Rosicky was incredible, too, in today's game. The Czechs really do play an exciting style of football.

I think the prettiest goal I've seen so far, though, was Frings' shot from 25 yards out in the Germany game. That thing curled like a curveball. I could have sworn it was going straight at the keeper before it veered off into the upper righthand corner.

Ramming Speed is offline Registered User

Sucks that the USA was shut out by the Czechs...will probably have to root for England. I tried cheering on Sweden the other day vs. Trinidad/Tobago but to no avail, meh. Not much to write home about for those poor Swedes either.
    "Building up to Ramming Speed..." Deliverance

rams! is offline Registered User

Mexico All Day!

US couldn't beat the Czechs, I don't think they can beat Italy.
    Last edited by rams!; -06-14-2006 at 12:11 AM.

rams! is offline Registered User

Portugal just moved ahead of my Mexico by a win, taking first place of our group. Does anybody know if we still have a shot at advancing to the next level, or are we done? I'm not really familiar with the rules of the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by rams!
    Portugal just moved ahead of my Mexico by a win, taking first place of our group. Does anybody know if we still have a shot at advancing to the next level, or are we done? I'm not really familiar with the rules of the World Cup.
    Mexico will advance if any of the following occur:

1) Mexico wins its next match

2) Mexico draws its next match

3) Mexico loses its next match and Angola loses or draws

4) Mexico loses its next match, Angola wins its match, but Mexico advances on the tiebreaker (the first tiebreaker is goal difference; Mexico's is +2 and Angola's is -1).

So you're still in pretty good shape. On an unrelated topic, the U.S. played its heart out against Italy. They went down to 9 men against a traditional superpower and still got out with a draw. They looked like they even could have won it the way they were playing (well, except for all the fouls).

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

About last night games........

I thought Ghana played fantastically well and thoroughly deserved to win against a Czech side who were loaded with talent. Petr Cech kept the Czech's in the game, Ghana could have been 4 up after 60 minutes.

As for the US, they bossed the game for the first 20 minutes that I saw, Bobby Convey played particularly well and they had the Italians rattled. I was about to hit the sack (it was 3.30am here) when the Italians went a goal up against the run of play and then the US equalised and I had watch the rest of the first half. The Italians got niggly, then got punchy and at that point I was fairly certain the US would get some kind of result.

The referee, as a few referees in the group stages, was card happy and the commentators here said there was no way both sides would finish with ten men even the way he officiated the game.

Di Rossi had to go, the first american would probably have got a yellow in the EPL but is challenge was a bit reckless.

Opens up the group nicely.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Great game by the U.S. I think they got their confidence back somewhat and needed a game like that to go up against Ghana. One thing I noticed during the Ghana/Czech Republic match is how fast Ghana is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12