Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Olympics (beware of spoilers)

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

re: Olympics (beware of spoilers)

They should have had gollum try to steal one of the rings.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think they need more combined sports:

Equestrian Water Polo (who knows how to do horse CPR?)
    Skeet Shooting/Gymnastics Vault (pull!)
    Archery/100 meters (those guys are hard to hit at that speed)
    Rhythmic Boxing (and 1, 2, 3, smack!)
    Fencing vs. Javelin (to the death!)

I know I'd watch more.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I felt awful for Jordyn Wieber. It's really a shame that she can put up the fourth-best individual score but not be included in the individual all-around women's gymnastics final because of the two-per-team rule. In fact, four athletes in the Top 24 did not qualify because of that rule.

I guess the argument is, beat your teammates if you want to ensure you're in, but it still seems like a shame to me. That said, I hope Gabby Douglas or Alexandra Raisman bring home the gold.

The focus on swimming on the primetime coverage has been over the top, IMO. We get it, it's been a popular summer Olympic sport, especially in recent years. But let's show some other stuff as well, huh? I would have loved to see more primetime coverage of Kimberly Rhode's awesome skeet accomplishment, but aside from a brief mention, there was little to be found of it. These events have such a variety of sports, but you wouldn't know it from the primetime coverage.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-30-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I felt awful for Jordyn Wieber. It's really a shame that she can put up the fourth-best individual score but not be included in the individual all-around women's gymnastics final because of the two-per-team rule. In fact, four athletes in the Top 24 did not qualify because of that rule. Seems like a shame to me.
    I totally agree. The policy is a joke. Wieber is the current defending World Champion for cryin' out loud, in addition to having the fourth best score, yet she is shut out of an opportunity she has been sacrificing her entire life for. It's actually quite heartbreaking.

I'm just not a fan of the "spread it around" mentality, which is exactly what this two only per team policy is doing.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I totally agree. The policy is a joke. Wieber is the current defending World Champion for cryin' out loud, in addition to having the fourth best score, yet she is shut out of an opportunity she has been sacrificing her entire life for. It's actually quite heartbreaking.

I'm just not a fan of the "spread it around" mentality, which is exactly what this two only per team policy is doing.
    It just doesn't make any sense when you consider the point of the competition. I simply don't this two-per-team rule as a justifiable reason to exclude competitors whose scores indicate they should be included. When Top Five contenders - let alone Top 24 contenders - are being excluded, then it starts to diminish the field, if only slightly.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It just doesn't make any sense when you consider the point of the competition. I simply don't this two-per-team rule as a justifiable reason to exclude competitors whose scores indicate they should be included. When Top Five contenders - let alone Top 24 contenders - are being excluded, then it starts to diminish the field, if only slightly.
    The rule is in place to promote diversity and increase participation by as many nations as possible, but as you mentioned, the Olympics is ultimately about competition. Having someones nationality decide that competition as opposed to their athletic ability, is again, a joke.

Thompo is offline Registered User

Thelps coming 2nd in the 200 butterfly must be a big shock. The commentators where saying this was his best discipline. Having said that he lost by the smallest of margins. Though Ian Thorpe tipped De Clos before the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompo View Post
    Thelps coming 2nd in the 200 butterfly must be a big shock. The commentators where saying this was his best discipline. Having said that he lost by the smallest of margins. Though Ian Thorpe tipped De Clos before the race.
    Not a shock, but very disappointing. It's clear Phelps is not in top form for London, but I was hoping he could dig down deep and win his signature event. .05, oh so close after getting caught in-between strokes at the wall. On the other hand, it was awesome to see Phelps win a gold in the 4 x 200 freestyle relay, as he helped team USA absolutely destroy the field.

Thompo is offline Registered User

Re: Olympics (beware of spoilers)

Great performance today by the British rowers and Bradley Wiggins in the time trials. What an amazing few weeks he has had, winning the tour de france and now Gold today to become the most decorated British Olympian.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by TennMike View Post
    Anyone else absolutely love the Summer Games? Can't beat Women's Beach Volleyball in my opinion.

Whats your fav?
    Beach volleyball? I see that every weekend here in Huntington Beach.

But it never gets old....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Re: Olympics (beware of spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompo View Post
    Great performance today by the British rowers and Bradley Wiggins in the time trials. What an amazing few weeks he has had, winning the tour de france and now Gold today to become the most decorated British Olympian.
    Wiggins is just so impressive. He rode a perfect Tour, dominating the competition, and now a gold in the time trial, a discipline he owns. Good for him. Chris Froome isn't too shabby either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12