txramsfan is offline Registered User

Poplar Bluff wins Rumble on the Ridge tourney

http://www.darnews.com/articles/2004/11/29/sports/sports10.txt

Mules off to 3-0 start with title

By STEVE FREY ~ Sports Writer
    FORREST CITY, Ark. -- Not often does a foul completely change the momentum of a game. But that was the case Saturday night in Poplar Bluff's 65-60 win over Bolivar (Tenn.) Central in the championship game of Rumble on the Ridge.

Trailing by three points with 2:37 to play in the game, the 6-foot-9 Tigers center Wayne Chism picked up his fourth foul. The junior argued the call and picked up a technical foul and exited the game.

Tyler Hansbrough, the tournament MVP, converted all four ensuing free-throw attempts to give the Mules the lead for good.

"It was big for us," Poplar Bluff coach John David Pattillo said of the technical foul. "We needed a little something there. We made the free throws, held on and were able to win it from there."

Hansbrough finished 8-for-8 from the field and 12-of-15 from the charity stripe en route to a team-high 28 points. The senior All-American added 12 rebounds and was named to the all-tournament team.

Willie Kemp, a 6-2 guard, kept Bolivar afloat by scoring a game-high 36 points on 16-of-24 shooting.

"We let him go crazy on us," Pattillo said. "Hopefully we will do a better job on someone like that next time."

Bolivar, the defending Class AA Tennessee state champs took an 18-16 advantage after one quarter.

The Mules took their first lead (23-22) on a jumper by Hansbrough with 4:37 to play in the half. After Bolivar went ahead with two consecutive field goals, Brad Chronister knotted the game at 26-all with a 3-pointer. Poplar Bluff took the lead on bucket by Chronister with 3:28 to play in the first half and the Mules led 32-29 at the intermission.

After Poplar Bluff went up on Hansbrough's four free throws in the fourth quarter, the Mules increase the lead to 62-59 on a turnaround bucket by Hansbrough.

The all-stater then picked up a clutch block at the other end and the Mules sank 3-of-4 free throws down the stretch to ice the game.

Chronister had 12 points, 10 coming in the first quarter. James Dixon added 10 points off the bench, including two clutch jumpers late in the game.

"James did a good job of scoring it for us tonight and handling it for us," Pattillo said. "It was a good game all-in-all."

Ben Hansbrough, who was named to the all-tournament second team, had nine points while Ross Whelan added all six of his points in the first quarter.

The Mules shot 59.5 percent from the field and hit 17-of-27 from the free throw line. The Tigers, meanwhile, converted 4-of-9 attempts.

The Mules committed 15 turnovers to Bolivar's 11. Chism had 10 points before fouling out for Bolivar.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Poplar Bluff wins Rumble on the Ridge tourney

Tx,
    I grew up in Sikeston (sad but true) and played against PB in many sports. Seeing this brings back some memories. In fact, my parents own a place near PB at Current River. Seeing stuff like this brings back memories from my youth...Thanks for posting it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm from PB originally. Spent my first twenty years there. I really don't know Tyler, only as a little boy. I know his father Gene.

Used to HATE to lose to the Sikeston Bulldogs. In anything. Especially at that "thing" you guys call a basketball court. Seems to me it was made from Flubber or something.

LOL.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Yeah, I never did understand that court either. I wrestled and ran cross country, myself. I was never tall enough to play basketball, but I did run my share of sprints on that track and on the court. Then again I never understood much about Sikeston. That is why I joined the Army after graduation to get out of there. Nice to meet a fellow Swampeast Missourian...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...