Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2011

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Rugby World Cup 2011

Just wondering who on here is going to be following the rugby World Cup which starts tomorrow morning (or whenever depending on your time zone). I know there will be fellow Brits watching and some other international fans but are any Americans interested in rugby? I just read an article that said the World Cup has a new television deal in the US meaning it will have more exposure and that rugby is growing very fast there.

If you've never watched a game before I thoroughly recommend catching a game (try watching a New Zealand one if you want a lot of action). I'll be waking up early for the next few weeks to see as many games as possible and of course cheer on England.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

I love the sport, though I admit I have only the most rudimentary understanding of the rules.

If it's on TV, I will definitely try to find it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I'll be watching it

Jockelite is offline Registered User

I will be watching also. I will be supporting France though.

Ah will be watching where I can

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Come on Wales!!!!

just to share some things that may be of interest to some..

my grandfather played Rugby and played his entire 12 year career in the top flight of Welsh rugby. he was a member of the 1936 national championship winning team, Cross Keys.

up until the mid 90`s Rugby players were only payed expenses (for travel,kit etc..) they weren`t paid wages. my grandfather was a coal miner and after his first mining accident he had to have one of his kidney`s removed,he was 19 at the time..it was before he made his Cross Keys debut.

this guy below taught me Geography for 3 years.

Alan Pask

Born:10th September 1937 Died:1st November 1995

Caps: 26 between 1961 and 1967

Clubs: Abertillery

Debut for Wales v France 1961

British Lions: 1962 to South Africa and 1966 tour to New Zealand and Australia

Played in 8 tests and made a record 38 appearances for the Lions

His 22 games on the 1966 tour is still the record for number of games played for the Lions on a single tour.

Alan Pask played for Abertillery and Loughborough College and earned 26 caps for Wales between 1961 and 1967 as a No. 8 and Flanker. He was primarily an attacking player and lead the Welsh pack to win the Triple Crown in 1965. In 1966 he became captain of Wales (taking the Championship) and went on a second Lions tour.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-10-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Gutted!!! my boys should have beaten the World Champions South Africa..but lost a heartbreaker 17-16..Wales had a kick that looked good to everyone but the Ref in the 1st half and should have made a drop goal at the end but he swung it wide..grrrrrr. proud of my boys tho,best performance of the world cup so far.

i hope i don`t see my english dad today..or there`ll be a domestic..
    Ram Mar Ram likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    Come on Wales!!!!

just to share some things that may be of interest to some..

my grandfather played Rugby and played his entire 12 year career in the top flight of Welsh rugby. he was a member of the 1936 national championship winning team, Cross Keys.

up until the mid 90`s Rugby players were only payed expenses (for travel,kit etc..) they weren`t paid wages. my grandfather was a coal miner and after his first mining accident he had to have one of his kidney`s removed,he was 19 at the time..it was before he made his Cross Keys debut.

this guy below taught me Geography for 3 years.

Alan Pask

Born:10th September 1937 Died:1st November 1995

Caps: 26 between 1961 and 1967

Clubs: Abertillery

Debut for Wales v France 1961

British Lions: 1962 to South Africa and 1966 tour to New Zealand and Australia

Played in 8 tests and made a record 38 appearances for the Lions

His 22 games on the 1966 tour is still the record for number of games played for the Lions on a single tour.

Alan Pask played for Abertillery and Loughborough College and earned 26 caps for Wales between 1961 and 1967 as a No. 8 and Flanker. He was primarily an attacking player and lead the Welsh pack to win the Triple Crown in 1965. In 1966 he became captain of Wales (taking the Championship) and went on a second Lions tour.
    Wow, a lot of great rugby history in your family and to be taught by a British Lion is amazing, surely you ignored the geography and asked questions about his rugby career? Very interesting, thanks for sharing Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    Gutted!!! my boys should have beaten the World Champions South Africa..but lost a heartbreaker 17-16..Wales had a kick that looked good to everyone but the Ref in the 1st half and should have made a drop goal at the end but he swung it wide..grrrrrr. proud of my boys tho,best performance of the world cup so far.
    Unlucky there, got to say I missed the match today although after seeing the tri nations South Africa do seem vulnerable to upsets at the moment. Hopefully Wales won't mess it all up and lose to Fiji again!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Wow, a lot of great rugby history in your family and to be taught by a British Lion is amazing, surely you ignored the geography and asked questions about his rugby career? Very interesting, thanks for sharing Andy!
    with Geography some of it was interesting,but we did use the "sir what was it like playing the all blacks in New Zealand" whenever we got onto something like say the rice fields of asia.
    he was a very humble guy though..the way he would talk about the other players you would think he was just a fan who went along for the ride rather than the guy who has the record for games played as a Lion.

he died in very tragic circumstances trying to save his dog after already getting his wife out of their burning house.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Great game by Ireland to beat the dreaded Australians. Samoa vs Wales today should be a good game. Support the Manu Samoa if your watching. Although Wales is my favourite European Team during the Six Nations (Kiwis have some great history with the boys in Red.)

Of New Zealand and Samoan descent. So ill support the island boys as far as they can go and then its all All Black Power after that.

Havent been keeping up with NFL admittedly a last week or so. World Cup Fever...

with Geography some of it was interesting,but we did use the "sir what was it like playing the all blacks in New Zealand" whenever we got onto something like say the rice fields of asia.
    he was a very humble guy though..the way he would talk about the other players you would think he was just a fan who went along for the ride rather than the guy who has the record for games played as a Lion.

he died in very tragic circumstances trying to save his dog after already getting his wife out of their burning house.
    Great back story on some former Great Rugby Players, sorry to hear about his tragic passing.
    Last edited by Ram Mar Ram; -09-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.

In Anguish ... Samoa Out .. Dan Carter is out for New Zealand .. argghhhh

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

What's a good team to rep in rugby?

New Zealand. South Africa. Australia. England. France. Ireland. Wales are the Power teams with Samoa. Argentina and a few others a little behind. USA is ranked about 17th, Canada about 13th. Those teams have gotten alot better over the last few years, hopefully it'll catch on over there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast