throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2008

DistantRam Guest

UEFA Euro 2008

Anyone here watching the European Championships in football (or soccer, as is your wont)? I know that the majority of Americans don't have the slightest interest in the game (is the tournament even being televised over there?), but I'm sure that many of the Clan's UK and European members must be taking an interest.

Holland have looked outstanding so far, thrashing the reigning world champions, Italy, 3-0 and then the World Cup runners-up, France, 4-1. Wesley Sneijder has been in fantastic form, aided and abetted by Dirk Kuyt and Orlando Engelaar, players who are often regarded as journeymen but who have both surpassed expectations at this tournament.

The Dutch will have, on paper, an easy-ish quarter-final against the runners-up in Spain's group, but then will probably meet the Spanish or either Italy or France, thirsting for revenge, in the semis. Of course, Holland could let Romania win on Tuesday, knowing that that would mean that they can't face either of the 2006 World Cup finalists in the semi-final.....

The other half of the draw, Groups A and B, looks a three-horse race between Portugal, Croatia and Germany. The first-two named have won their respective groups, and it will be a major surprise if Germany fail to win their last game, against a feeble Austrian side, to join them in the last eight. That will mean that they'll face Portugal in a real heavyweight clash. Croatia, if in the same sort of form they showed in beating Germany last time, should win their quarter-final against the Group A runners-up (the Czech Republic face Turkey in a winner-takes-all clash tonight) and will be dangerous opponents in the semi-finals.

It should be a cracking fortnight for soccer lovers everywhere.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: UEFA Euro 2008

I have really enjoyed watching the tournament even with the lack of British interest. There have been some cracking games and excitement like last nights comeback by Turkey. Holland have been the best team so far but with them your never quite if they can keep it together. My dark horses before the start where Croatia and after their win against the Germans I still think they can go far. They face Turkey in the Q/F and if they play to their optimum they should reach the Semi's and at that stage it's anybodys. Hopefully plenty more quality games over the next few weeks..

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    There have been some cracking games and excitement like last nights comeback by Turkey.
    That wasn't televised here, sadly, but I followed it online and it sounded brilliant. Unlike Cech to make a howler like that, although he's been more erratic since his injury.

Agree with you on Holland- you never know when they're going to implode. Spain invariably flatter to deceive, so I reckon the winner of the top half of the draw will win it. Croatia definitely have as good a chance as anyone; have you backed them?

Pity you missed the game last night, was an exciting end to that game. Yeah I have a small wager on Croatia, mainly due to the fact I wanted a team to follow and also none of the supposed big teams really stood out and I believed it to be wide-open which is how it is looking. I also had a bet on Klose being the Top-Goalscorer which doesn't look promising. I was torn between backing him or Podolski but I went for Klose purely because Podolski had a poor season and was likely to be playing on the left because of his form. TBH Germany should play him centrally now and drop Gomes who has been disappointing after being hyped up Pre-Tournament. So I guess I picked the wrong German but it probably won't matter as David Villa is flying at the moment..

DistantRam Guest

I'm on Villa and Klose for top scorer, too. Like you, I thought that Podolski would be playing on the left; given Germany's (theoretically) easy run to the semis, I thought that Klose would fill his boots. Maybe he still will, starting tonight....

Villa was a good choice and your reason for picking Klose was the same as mine! You never know but he could do with a hat-trick tonight, and I reckon the Germans will put a few goals on Austria.

Mooselini Guest

I know there are a small percentage of this board watches soccer. However, there have been many amazing games lately.

Though, my team is not from Europe, I love watching the game. I'm rooting for Germany, like I was when my team was eliminated from the world cup.

I can't wait until the world cup, hopefully my team does better this year.

YodaRam Guest

I watched the big match pitting Manchester United against Chelsea for the European Cup. That was awesome to watch!! Incredible talent and plenty of drama. Plus rabid fans! Who could ask for anything more?!
    Truth is i only watch the big, big matches. I started watching the Houston Dynamo here in the states 2 years ago. ( I know that U.S. soccer is not of the same talent pool of world soccer). But i have to admit that it was more to do with them being winners than true interest in the sport.
    Let me know when the Championship match is and i'll be watching! Till then, not so much. I do hope for continued success and growth here in the U.S.. I think it's a great organized sport for our youth. Keep them off the streets and on the fields!

RAM ON!

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    Let me know when the Championship match is and i'll be watching!
    The final of the European Championship is on Sunday 29th June at 20:45 CET. You'll obviously have to work out what that equates to in your time zone!

I was disappointed to see Italy go through yesterday: they are one of the most boring teams in international football. While it's true that they've produced some great artists over the years (recent ones include Baggio, Maldini, Nesta and Zola), they have always been a dirty, snide team. They are constantly niggling and nagging- horrible bunch. Sadly, they invariably find a way through so I can see them beating Spain in the quarter-final.

Edit: by the way, Yoda, your comment about Man U and Chelsea having "rabid fans" made me laugh! Both teams are infamous for having voiceless glory-hunters as supporters- people who only follow the team because they're successful but know (and care) little about the history, passion and culture of the clubs. Legendary Man U captain Roy Keane referred to his own "fans" as "the prawn sandwich brigade" and Chelsea's games are so bereft of atmosphere that they had to give each supporter entering the ground a little blue plastic flag in an attempt to generate some crowd noise in their recent Champions' League semi-final against Liverpool.
    Last edited by DistantRam; -06-18-2008 at 02:34 AM.

YodaRam Guest

Sorry Distant, It seemed like a loud crowd. Shows what i know about true soccer fan faithful. Thanks for the championship match date info.

RAM ON!

DistantRam Guest

Right, we're down to the interesting bit now: the knock-out stages.

I'll take Germany to beat Portugal in tonight's quarter-final: the Germans just seem to have that ability to eke out a win when not playing that well and Portugal usually fold under pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if this match goes all the way to the dreaded penalty shoot-out, though, as the sides are very evenly matched.

Tomorrow sees Croatia take on Turkey. The Turks showed incredible resolve to fight back and squeeze through against the Czech Republic but I fear that they're taking on a very good side here. Croatia to win this one.

Holland should beat Russia on Saturday, although Arshavin is in blinding form and could be the catalyst for an upset. Holland can't keep up the level of football which they've shown so far forever- how many times have we seen a team start a tiurnament brilliantly and then fade? Spain and Argentina in the last World Cup spring to mind.... Still, Holland for me.

The last quarter-final is a real clash of the titans. Spain have the better side on paper but they invariably get a bad refereeing decision against them or make a howler at a crucial stage; for those reasons, it has to be Italy.

I have a feeling Portugal will sneak the game 2-1 tonight, this is the business end of the Euro's now. Can't wait for the Holland-Russia game on saturday, it should be a good game between two good passing teams. I would think the Dutch should be strong enough but this is normaly the time they start to lose the plot!!

Well I wasn't right about the Germany-Portugal game, I should know by now that the Germans play their best football once the knock out stages in tournaments begin. Germany deserved to win and the 1st goal they scored was a superb team goal. Tonight I believe Croatia will be too strong for Turkey likewise on Saturday when Holland play Russia although that game should be closer than many would have predicted with the Russians finding some form in their win against Sweden. As for the Spain-Italy game you could make a case for both of them it really is that close to call..

union jack rammer Guest

watching Holland hangin on with a late goal to tie it up

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by union jack rammer View Post
    watching Holland hangin on with a late goal to tie it up
    Holland should have been hammered in normal time last night; they owe it all to van der Sar (and some poor finishing by Pavlyuchenko) that they lasted until extra time. Russia were by far and away the better side and fully deserved their victory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast