Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UEFA Euro 2008

union jack rammer is offline Registered User

Re: UEFA Euro 2008

agreed, DistantRam, Holland is not the team I've been used to seeing over the last number of years. Kudos to the Russian team, clearly the better of the two.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I did say that Russia would keep it tight against Holland but to be fair the Russians played them off the park. Was surprised Croatia my tip lost to Turkey. I was pleased that Spain won on penalties against the ultra-defensive style of Italy, god they made that game awful to watch.

As for the Semi-finals, Can't believe the depleted Turkish team will live with the Germans. So the Germans will make another final. The Russia-Spain game is difficult to predict, Spain beat Russia 4-1 in the group's but I certainly wouldn't be betting on a repeat.

Then there were two, Germany vs Spain for the Euro 2008 crown this sunday. After watching both teams in the Semi-Finals it has to be said Spain where much more impressive but as usual the Germans dug in and although their defence was woefully exposed on many occassions here they are in another major final. You can never write them off.

For the final I believe Spain's slick attacking prowess will be too much for the slow German defence to cope with but you never know, there have been many surprises thus far. Anyway here's hoping to an exciting end to a very enjoyable Championships...

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Should be a good final (unlike the majority of finals, which are bathetic) if the teams stick to the same rhythm and tactics which have got them this far.

Germany are usually derided as a dour, grinding, side but they've played some excellent football (albeit only in patches) in their wins over Portugal and Turkey and they will look to attack down their left, with Podolski and Lahm trying to exploit any gaps left by the gallivanting Sergio Ramos. If the German centre-forwards can get on the end of some crosses (Puyol and Marchena will have their hands full with Klose and Gomez in the air), Casillas will need to be at his brilliant best. Ballack is always lively in central midfield but Spain shut Arshavin down completely in their semi final win over Russia and they can be trusted to have a plan in mind for the Chelsea schemer.

Spain are almost certain to be without David Villa tomorrow (although it must be remembered that he made a miraculous recovery from illness to feature in their opening group game and bagged a hattrick) and that will mean Torres playing in his customary club role as a lone forward. With Fabregas, Silva and a back-to-form Iniesta prompting, the Spanish attack is full of trickery and skill... the pedestrian German defence could be run ragged.

It's going to be a close thing and there's always a chance that Spain will bottle it, but the superior quality of the Spanish should see them lift their first trophy since 1964 and put to rest that "perennial underachievers" tag.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I've got my jersey from the world cup of Germany. You know who I'm rooting for in the finals.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Should be a great final tonight. I'm rooting for good football. I'm rooting for Spain.

I haven't seen this quality of football in one major championship in a very long time. Spain are playing brilliant football. Their off-ball movement and passing has just been a joy to watch.

As a Man U fan I haven't liked Cesc that much but I admit the guy is incredible. Once he came on in the 2nd half against Russia he completely changed the game. I don't know why he doesn't start. His passing is maybe the best in the world and his creativity has been unparalleled all tournament long. I think they've played the best football out of any of the teams so far, even Holland.

To be honest, I think Russia got lucky. They played a good game against a poor Holland side on the day, but have been deservedly destroyed by Spain, TWICE! Hiddink is a genius, but has never had the quality in his teams needed to go the whole way.

I really hope Germany lose. They were outplayed by a weakened Turkish team and really didn't deserve to win. I feel sorry for Turkey, I was rooting for them from the start since England weren't there. They're a great team. On the night they deserved to make the final.

Spain has been the best team all tournament. Aragones has done a great job, as have the players. If an on-phase German team shows up and Podolski decides to play, Germany wins because they are a smarter TEAM. Spain is more individualistic, they have people like Xavi and Fabregas that are creative and that's it. Other than Casillas, I don't think the Spanish D is very good at defending or attacking...Ramos thinks he's a forward, I don't think he's that good a winger (certainly not like Zambrotta for example) because he has a bad sense of positioning...he plays up front and just wants to attack attack attack way too much.

Villa being out could also cause problems because Fernando Torres sucks. Danny Guiza is only on the team because he had the season of his career in La Liga. This is the PERFECT situation to bring in a veteran striker who has played in big games before off the bench and partner him up front with Torres' dumb butt...hmm, someone like RAUL!!! Idiotic move not to bring him along. It almost cost them against Italy with the PK shootout but Donadoni had the worst possible lineup to take PKs. If Spain loses 0-1 or 1-2 then serious questions will be asked as to why Raul was not part of the team.

They have Fabregas, Alonso, Xavi etc. who can all create from the midfield. Whether it's set plays, or just in open play. Ramos gets forward too much at times IMO but is still pretty effective on the wing. I just think Spain might lack that finishing up front that Germany have.

I don't know if playing Torres up front on his own is that good an idea for Arragones. He's struggled in front of goal so far and isn't like his usual self at Liverpool. Missing Villa must really hurt. Having your best finisher/goalscorer on the team injured and not being able to play the Euro final is a big blow, especially with not many other guys who can fill in. Starting Fabregas is fine, but not if it's at the expense of a striker.

It will probably Torres on his own. I think they should play Guiza, it should be worth the risk. It's all well and good having arguably the most creative midfield in the world, but if you haven't got the guys up front who can put the chances away, you might struggle.

I really wouldn't like Germany to win. They don't deserve to be in the final. But they're probably favorites from a neutral point of view. They've been in so many finals before...they have the experience to go all the way. Ballack has been awesome playing that holding role in midfield. Klose always shows up in major tournaments. Podolski's been a bit hit and miss and has had no consistency through all the games.

If that whole German teams plays to their potential as a team, I think they could edge it. They certainly have the better defence, and have a massive advantage with Villa out of the game.

It could come down to who wants it more. My bet's on Germany, but I'm pulling for Spain. A lot of it lies on Torres' shoulders.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Fernando Torres sucks.
    Only a Man Utd fan could say that.

union jack rammer is offline Registered User

having lived in Lohr am Main, I'll be rooting for Deutschland.

Spain are very worthy Champions, they played good, attractive football the whole tournament and in the final they out-played Germany. Defensively the Germans were awful and going forward didn't offer a threat, even their set-pieces were appalling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12