Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Who here is a Cardinals baseball fan?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Who here is a Cardinals baseball fan?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Love the cardinals nearly as much as I love the Rams.
    Quick points:
    - Not worried at all about Albert leaving
    - Boggs needs to be the closer, starting tonight
    - I think Theriot and Berkman's offense will more than make up for their average defensive play
    - Does anyone know a good Cardinals forum, similar to the Clan, where posters aren't crying about how the sky is falling after one week? Tried going to the Cards Talk Forums at STL today, but man that was horrible, gives a bad image to Cardinal Nation.
    Well look who won it for us tonight closing, boggs. So u may be on to something. Berkman did great tonight too.

Offtopic c-mob did u get hit with that storm last night knocked out power alot around here.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Well look who won it for us tonight closing, boggs. So u may be on to something. Berkman did great tonight too.

Offtopic c-mob did u get hit with that storm last night knocked out power alot around here.
    The storm hit my hometown pretty bad, both of my sister's houses narrowly missed a lot of damage- trees were uprooted and nearby trailer got destroyed. I'm up in Charleston at college and had to run to the cellar for a bit, but nothing came of it. From what I know no one got seriously hurt, so just have to thank God for that.

And yeah, so far the Cardinals are looking really good this year. A few things go our way and we are several games out front. Can't wait for the Reds series, hate those (guys)

The storm hit my hometown pretty bad, both of my sister's houses narrowly missed a lot of damage- trees were uprooted and nearby trailer got destroyed. I'm up in Charleston at college and had to run to the cellar for a bit, but nothing came of it. From what I know no one got seriously hurt, so just have to thank God for that.

And yeah, so far the Cardinals are looking really good this year. A few things go our way and we are several games out front. Can't wait for the Reds series, hate those (guys)
    Ya I figured it did hit your hometown that's why I asked, glad no one was hurt. We didn't have much happen here at my house had a trampoline flip over but that's about it.

The Cards are sitting at 500 right now which isn't bad because technically we are in a 4 way tie for first with the cubs, reds, and the brewers. Id like to get some distance in between us and the reds though they were tough last year. One more game tomorrow against the nationals then a series with the reds so I hope our offense and pitching can hold up.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Cards fan since summer '98.

Holliday is killing it right now, glad to see he's come back in a big way. Reds series should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Cards fan since summer '98.

Holliday is killing it right now, glad to see he's come back in a big way. Reds series should be fun.
    Ah you came in when Big Mac was here. Had it not been for Pujols I would miss the guy badly. I am glad he is our hitting coach though.

Holliday is doing good but how bout Pujols recently 4 homeruns in 7 days. Not to mention berkman. They are both tied for second in the mlb with 6 homeruns.

And if I told you guys at the begging of the season that 4 guys not named wainwright would have a lower era than carpenter you would tell me to lay down the crack pipe. But its true and I believe garcia is 4th in the Mlb in era and the others aren't that far behind.

How about lohse yesterday 2 hits allowed the entire game. I can't wait for the series today. Thank god for cardinals baseball the thing that gets me through the nfl offseason.

Jaime is a stud, I was disappointed that he beat McClellen out for the last rotation spot last year- boy was I wrong! Or maybe I was half right, because lil Mac had been tearing it up this year too.

With Lohse returning to his 08 form, our rotation would have rivaled the Phillies' if we still had Waino

And here's hoping Carp puts a fastball to the side of Phillips head when he pitches tomorrow!

Wow I need to pray for Westbrook...I haven't watched the games he pitched apparently. I see he has 4 starts, 18 innings pitched., 3 homeruns allowed, 13 base on balls, 30 hits allowed, and a 9.82 era that is horrible....I really hope he pulls around.

Other than that 4 of our pitchers are in the top 70. Lohse, McClellan, and Garcia are all in the top 16 in era(carps the 70th).

I am really liking this lineup of pitchers and our three headed monster (pujols, berkman, and holliday). I was telling my dad I haven't seen the team with this many weapons since 04-06.

How is punto doing at 2nd? I haven't been able to watch because it was my birthday monday, my nieces birthday tonight, and my daughters tomorrow (well I guess I should say her party is today bday is monday). So to say the least I have been pretty busy.

We are now in sole place of first SO LETS KEEP IT BOYS!

edit: btw no other team has 3 pitchers in the top 16.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -04-23-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    edit: btw no other team has 3 pitchers in the top 16.
    Heh, I'd rather have 7 solid pitchers than 3 top 16 pitchers. I haven't seen much of baseball recently but pitchers to me are like the quarterbacks of baseball: they throw the ball, take huge responsibilities off making the right throws, and pretty much get bagged a lot for making misthrows that cause the offense to put points on the board.

I haven't watched much of Cards baseball recently but the last time I was really into it was when Ishringhausen (or the Cardinals bullpen in general) was blowing a huge amount of saves. I might just get into this again seeing that the NFL offseason is killing me from the inside out.

Westbrook has had a rough start that's for sure. He is praised as one of the best ground ball pitchers in the game, which he showed last year, yet has not been getting many ground balls so far. I believe Al Hrabosky was saying how Westbrook pitches much better in warmer weather, and once he gets through April he should return to what he has shown in the past. Keep your fingers crossed.

And Flip, I believe sj was talking about starting pitchers (of which you only have 5 in your rotation so 7 would be unnecessary ), and our top three based on stats are Jaime, Lohse, and McClellen. Thats right, Carpenter, our ace, hasn't even statistically been our best starting pitcher so far!

And as far as blown saves goes, I was extremely worried that TLR would hang onto Franklin "closing" as long as he did with Izzy, which would have been a disaster. But other than Franklin's obviously painful start, our bullpen has been very solid this year. The Sanchez kid looks like the real deal, he hit 97 mph when pitching to Votto last night (sure it was a walk, and his stuff looked a bit off last night, but still impressive so far).

Overall I think this would be a great year to get back into baseball, the Cardinals lineup is deep, and our pitching has been outstanding. The Cards have already went through a ton of adversity with losing Waino, Frankie's troubles, and Holliday being out for a week, yet here we are sitting atop first place. It's a long season, but I have seen nothing that leads me to believe they can't compete and win this division through 162.

edit: and Punto has looked pretty good so far. His best contributions will be with his glove at every infield position. One of Tony's ideal Super Subs.

See, who needs STL Today's "Cards Talk" when we can discuss all things Cardinals in one thread, vs twenty threads about how bad Franklin is and how much smarter we all arr then a first ballot Hall of Fame manager.
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -04-23-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Westbrook has had a rough start that's for sure. He is praised as one of the best ground ball pitchers in the game, which he showed last year, yet has not been getting many ground balls so far. I believe Al Hrabosky was saying how Westbrook pitches much better in warmer weather, and once he gets through April he should return to what he has shown in the past. Keep your fingers crossed.

And Flip, I believe sj was talking about starting pitchers (of which you only have 5 in your rotation so 7 would be unnecessary ), and our top three based on stats are Jaime, Lohse, and McClellen. Thats right, Carpenter, our ace, hasn't even statistically been our best starting pitcher so far!

And as far as blown saves goes, I was extremely worried that TLR would hang onto Franklin "closing" as long as he did with Izzy, which would have been a disaster. But other than Franklin's obviously painful start, our bullpen has been very solid this year. The Sanchez kid looks like the real deal, he hit 97 mph when pitching to Votto last night (sure it was a walk, and his stuff looked a bit off last night, but still impressive so far).

Overall I think this would be a great year to get back into baseball, the Cardinals lineup is deep, and our pitching has been outstanding. The Cards have already went through a ton of adversity with losing Waino, Frankie's troubles, and Holliday being out for a week, yet here we are sitting atop first place. It's a long season, but I have seen nothing that leads me to believe they can't compete and win this division through 162.

edit: and Punto has looked pretty good so far. His best contributions will be with his glove at every infield position. One of Tony's ideal Super Subs.

See, who needs STL Today's "Cards Talk" when we can discuss all things Cardinals in one thread, vs twenty threads about how bad Franklin is and how much smarter we all arr then a first ballot Hall of Fame manager.

Hopefully westbrook does turn it around.

Ya flip i was talking about starting pitching. I feel bad for Carp because he has deserved about 3 wins so far at least and the team hasn't come through for him so I hope we can get him a few wins here soon.

I don't think I could be any part of a forum that was bad mouthing TLR. He has to be one of the best managers ever. I would say at least top 5. So for them to say they know more than him would be absurd.

I wasn't able to watch yesterday hopefully I can watch today and see what happens.

This isn't looking good for franklin I believe he will be gone at the end of the year because his contract is up. Franklin, wainwrights, TLR's, pujols, and carpenter all have their contracts expire after this year. So this next offseason is going to be interesting to see who we keep.

I suppose its unfair to judge the whole forum based on the idiotic remarks of the few- unfortunately "official" forums tend to be large, and the "few" morons are multiplied compared to our grand ol site. (just imagine if there were 100 dgr828 posting here, people would have bad opinions about the Clan as well!)

We are definitely approaching a cross roads so to speak; I don't see Franklin coming back, and if we pay Albert what he is worth, than I don't know how we will afford Carp. And if Waino doesn't get his option picked up I don't know what I'll do, cry maybe? Here's hoping Bill Dewitt raises the payroll to ~130 million, because I can't justify paying 30% of the payroll to one player- even if it is the best player of all time. PS tilt screen back to read entire opening comment

Albert will be a Cardinal forever STAN HAS SPOKEN (if you don't know Stan then you need to find a different topic).

Wainwright will be coming back. Carp MAY take a pay cut to come back to a championship caliber team. Franklin is gone I would say too. TLR will be a Card forever too.

I hope we can pull off this win tonight. Westbrook did three ground outs in the first so he is off to a nice start. Its nice to have something to get excited about during a lockout...

GO CARDS!

EDIT: Nice stolen base by pujols in the first.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -04-24-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Pay the man. If Albert leaves STL I would be crushed, crushed, crushed.

I freakin' love that guy, lol.

Fun game so far tonight.

After rereading my post, it may come off like I don't want Pujols back- absolutely not the case! I just hope we can put a team around him is all. I believe the Cardinals can afford to up their payroll, we sell out every game just like the Phillies and Cubs, STL isn't that much smaller of a market than them.

We have seen what happens when you take the lesser of the two big men out of the lineup, and it ain't pretty, can't imagine seeing us trying to score runs without Albert.

He deserves more per year than Howard, and if we have to pay him top dollar in the lesser years of his contract, thats fine, because he will be chasing the home run record, and make it an asterisk free one at that.

because he will be chasing the home run record, and make it an asterisk free one at that.

I think your wrong about that. Mlb is soon going to ban all people named Albert Pujols because he is to good. They are afraid if he were to bleed on someone that they will also become radioactive and become supermen. So i think there will be a asterisk lol.
    C-Mob 71 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast