Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

WWE superstar Chris Benoit dead, discovered with family at home

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/...4C0oRQerUE1vAI

What a horrible, horrible story. As an off and on wrestling fan since a kid, I always respected Benoit as a really professional and talented performer. But this... wow. Hopefully as the evidence is discovered, it'll somehow turn out he didn't do it.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: WWE superstar Chris Benoit dead, discovered with family at home

I never watched Professional Wrasslin' but the story is still a sad one.

I can not imagine being so despondent as to kill one's kid(s) and wife ant then one's self.

Hopefully, as you said Nick, evidence will clear Benoit of a murder suicide and point to a triple homicide. Which is bad enough in itself.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

As a lifelong wrestling fan, I too am deeply saddened by this news. RIP to the relatives of the Benoit family and thank you to Chris for being such a wonderful competitor for many years. This is a terrible tragedy for all involved. Here's an update:

According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the Fayette County Police Department is now working under the theory that Chris Benoit killed his wife Nancy on Saturday, his son Daniel on Sunday, and then himself earlier today.

According to one anonymous source within the police department, Chris was found dead in his weight room; Nancy was found dead in the living room; and Daniel was found dead in his bedroom.

As we reported earlier Lt. Tommy Pope told ABC News "the instruments of death were located on the scene," but didn't specify what those were or where they were found.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As a father of 2 with #3 on the way, I can not wrap my mind around the idea of a parent harming their own child in any way.

What is it (beyond the obvious steroids) about that business that seems to cultivate tragic stories?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Reports are that Benoit strangled his wife Friday, then smothered his son on Saturday, then hanged himself on Monday with a cord on a weight lifting machine that he had in his basement. Steroids were reportedly found in the home. Benoit's only previous trouble with the law was being charged with a DUI in the past and a minor domestic dispute with his wife.

Sad story. Most news outlets are attributing this terrible tragedy to "roid rage"

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

Most news outlets are attributing this terrible tragedy to "roid rage"
    Which is most likely b.s. Im not trying to be a jerk and I am far from an expert on it but I would say there were other factors involved. Roid Rage was more a problem with the early steroids of the late seventies and early eighties. Acne is the number one side effect from todays steroids. That is of course when being used by people whos bodies have already matured. They are still crapo and I am not supporting the use of roids at all.

Benoit had taken some time off work a week before the incident and pulled out of a PPV event that was scheduled. He was going through personal problems that were undisclosed. My guess is the life on tour, depression, and I bet they find out he used drugs other then steroids, contributed to the mans mental breakdown. This is tragic and disgusting and I am baffled as I would kill for my 4 year old not ever do the opposite.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    Reports are that Benoit strangled his wife Friday, then smothered his son on Saturday, then hanged himself on Monday with a cord on a weight lifting machine that he had in his basement. Steroids were reportedly found in the home. Benoit's only previous trouble with the law was being charged with a DUI in the past and a minor domestic dispute with his wife.

Sad story. Most news outlets are attributing this terrible tragedy to "roid rage"
    World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by local authorities.
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressrelease

#4 seems like the most significant reason as to why this wasn't a steroid issue, IMO. But ultimately we should wait for the toxicology reports before saying one way or another.

Regardless, it seems clear that Benoit actually was the killer, and I've lost what respect I had for him as a wrestler. This story is sick, and I'm glad that the WWE has responded by removing every tribute they had for him from their site and programming.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressrelease

#4 seems like the most significant reason as to why this wasn't a steroid issue, IMO. But ultimately we should wait for the toxicology reports before saying one way or another.

Regardless, it seems clear that Benoit actually was the killer, and I've lost what respect I had for him as a wrestler. This story is sick, and I'm glad that the WWE has responded by removing every tribute they had for him from their site and programming.
    Nick, I agree 100%. These actions are not those of one having a roid rage. But steroids do lead to mood swings as well. Reports are coming out now from WSB-750 AM radio in Atlanta that the only drugs found were legal anabolic steroids (didn't know there was such a thing), and human growth hormone. As well, they are reporting that Benoit's son was using human growth hormone (can't be good for a 7-year-old, unless it was for some medical reason).

While I do agree with you, Nick, I think it's pretty filthy that WWE's press release is basically for the purpose of coming to the defense of steroids.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

Yeah they have had a love hate relationship with roids since the late seventies early eighties. I do think it is time that we start educating people on steroid use a little bit better in this country though. It is becominga major factor in todays high school sports. Maybe even the reason there has been so many heart issues into todays high school athletics programs. We have lost 2 local kids in the last 5 years too heart attacks on the court or field.

general counsel is offline Registered User

steroids, no steroids, nice guy, not a nice guy, talented pro wrestler or not, at the end of the day, if anyone is going to hell, this guy is at the front of the line. He will be sharing a nice spot in hell some day with andrea yates, who killed her five kids.

Legal defense aside, so much of this crap makes me sick. He killed his wife and kid and did it in a deliberate way. I dont really care why, this is not defensible on any level at all. I am not suggesting anyone on the board is defending him, but there are certain acts in life that are so beyond despicable that it doesnt matter what else you do in your life, the one bad act can condemn you for eternity.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel
    He killed his wife and kid and did it in a deliberate way
    Thanks, yet again, to GC for clearing away the smoke and showing us exactly where the rubber meets the road.

I take no pleasure at the thought of any soul in hell. However, I do take pleasure knowing that little boy will never have to look at the face of his killer again for the rest of eternity.