Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81

Thread: 1.22 Redskins pick, could be worth more than we thought.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

1.22 Redskins pick, could be worth more than we thought.

Its easy to see that there is no QB worth in the top 15, especially since there are some servicable QBs in FA as well. But a guy to look at is Mike Glennon at 22. If a QB or 2 go off the board before him, or if there are no QBs taken by 22. We might have a nice playing card there either way. A top 5 drafting team might work hard to double dip back in to the first round and get a QB or Glennon (chiefs, jags, etc). So, if so, what should be the going price for that?

Not sure if there is a top5 draft team that has two 2nd round picks (with one being in the top 5). Or is asking their top 5 2nd round this year and first round next year way too much.

What do you guys think? Or better yet just draft Eiffert, Elam or a playmaking WR with that pick.
    Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -01-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 1.22 Redskins pick, could be worth more than we thought.

A few points...

The last time there was a draft in which no QB went in the top fifteen picks was 2000, I believe. If you personally believe that none of the QB prospects are worth a Top 15 pick, that's one thing. But I'll be shocked if we have a repeat of 2000 and I expect at least one if not two will be taken that high, especially with the rookie wage scale.

Look at it this way, if guys like Gabbert and Ponder can be Top 15 picks, I see no reason why this class doesn't have prospects that deserve to be taken that high.

The second point is that I think Miami is the earliest picking team with an extra second round pick, and I think they feel as if they have their franchise QB. If I were the Rams, I would hold out for a 2013 2nd round pick and a 2014 1st round pick. That's the deal the Patriots got in 2011 from the Saints so that New Orleans could move up to pick #28 to take Ingram.
    TekeRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Nick that I don't think the #22 pick will be a target for teams seeking a QB.

Right now, there are two teams with two second round picks (Bengals: Nos. 37 and 54; Dolphins: Nos. 42 and 57) who could be potential trade partners. Otherwise, I again agree with Nick that the asking price should be a 2013 second round pick and a 2014 first round pick (which would give us three first round picks in 2014).

Its way too soon to project, but right now I think that the range of 15-25 may very well be the "meat" of this draft, in terms of value. I'll be fine if the Rams just make their picks.
    Nick likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I see what you're guys are saying. And I guess your completely right. If ponder and clausen and guys like that go. Then its 100% possible that qbs will still go quickly. Might as well use that 22 for what we need.

Anyway, I don't know what I was thinking. That 22 is better than two 2nd rounders

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree with Nick that I don't think the #22 pick will be a target for teams seeking a QB.

Right now, there are two teams with two second round picks (Bengals: Nos. 37 and 54; Dolphins: Nos. 42 and 57) who could be potential trade partners. Otherwise, I again agree with Nick that the asking price should be a 2013 second round pick and a 2014 first round pick (which would give us three first round picks in 2014).

Its way too soon to project, but right now I think that the range of 15-25 may very well be the "meat" of this draft, in terms of value. I'll be fine if the Rams just make their picks.
    Three 2014 first rounders would be nice

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Three 2014 first rounders would be nice
    That'd be quite the arsenal to try and acquire Marqise Lee.. just sayin'
    citr92 likes this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    That'd be quite the arsenal to try and acquire Marqise Lee.. just sayin'
    Marquise Lee is good but a little overrated. People act like he's a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green or Julio Jones type talent when he's just not. He's more comparable to a Blackmon, Dez Bryant or on. He's obviously very talented but just got a little too much hype. Especially seeing how much USC WR's have struggled in the NFL.

Either way with RGIII likely out for a large portion of 2013 we might not even have to make a move to get a guy like Lee or Watkins.

It just wouldn't be worth trading a first for Lee when we could get a guy like Hopkins this year with our 2nd 1st or 2nd rounder. Deandre Hopkins plus Taylor Lewan sounds a lot better than just Marquis Lee.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Marquise Lee is good but a little overrated. People act like he's a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green or Julio Jones type talent when he's just not. He's more comparable to a Blackmon, Dez Bryant or on. He's obviously very talented but just got a little too much hype. Especially seeing how much USC WR's have struggled in the NFL.

Either way with RGIII likely out for a large portion of 2013 we might not even have to make a move to get a guy like Lee or Watkins.

It just wouldn't be worth trading a first for Lee when we could get a guy like Hopkins this year with our 2nd 1st or 2nd rounder. Deandre Hopkins plus Taylor Lewan sounds a lot better than just Marquis Lee.
    while lee was overhyped, and it showed by him being targetted far more than robert woods, which waas ridiculous since kiffin and barkley got obsessed with lee and forgot a guy like robert woods is just as good if not better...i'd say athletically, he's better than what people think, he may not have the best of hands, he can make great grabs, and goes up for the ball at the highest point, i see a lot of receivers that don't
    we'll see how he improves for next year, can't wait to see what he does

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Now with the new rookie wage system, I'm not sure what the highest value picks are, in general... probably the top of the draft. But in the old system, the highest value draft picks were the bottom third of the 1st round and the 2nd round. The contracts were not bad(about the same as they are now), and the players are very likely to be solid, backbone of the team players. They may not be superstars as often as top 5 picks, but they also don't but out nearly as often. Further, they also didn't set a franchise back if they were busts.

What does this mean for us this year? As Av said, the 15-25 range looks very good for value on the offensive line and possibly safety. I'd be happy if we stayed put and drafted two, and I'll be happy if we trade down and stock up more picks.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    while lee was overhyped, and it showed by him being targetted far more than robert woods, which waas ridiculous since kiffin and barkley got obsessed with lee and forgot a guy like robert woods is just as good if not better...i'd say athletically, he's better than what people think, he may not have the best of hands, he can make great grabs, and goes up for the ball at the highest point, i see a lot of receivers that don't
    we'll see how he improves for next year, can't wait to see what he does
    Don't get me wrong, I like Lee. I just don't see him as the elite super talent some think he is and I'd rather not hope we somehow get a top 5 pick next year.

I'd rather take a guy like Deandre Hopkins this year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lee. I just don't see him as the elite super talent some think he is and I'd rather not hope we somehow get a top 5 pick next year.

I'd rather take a guy like Deandre Hopkins this year.
    i know...like i said, he was over hyped his year, trojan fans know the receiver opposite of him is the better receiver

i don't want to see the rams in the top 5 picks next year either

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i know...like i said, he was over hyped his year, trojan fans know the receiver opposite of him is the better receiver

i don't want to see the rams in the top 5 picks next year either
    well I don't know about Woods being better.

well I don't know about Woods being better.
    as a receiver, yes, as a pure athlete, no, but woods is no slouch

and finishing 2nd to josh mance in the 400 meters, a fellow trojan and olympian, should say something