Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st rd: Curry-LB & 2nd rd: Beatty/Britton-OT

25 67.57%
  • 1st rd: Monroe/Smith - OT & 2nd Lauranitus/Simtin

12 32.43%
    ramhard is offline Registered User

1 & 2nd round options as a package

In going into the draft you have to look at the 1st choice as a package. Would you rather have a higher ranked OT and a lesser LB (e.g. Monroe and Lauranitus/Simtin; , or the top LB and a lesser OT (e.g. Curry and Beatty).

Me I'd go with the latter as the OT crop is deeper than a weak LB crop.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: 1 & 2nd round options as a package

I love the first option, but I have strong doubts that either Beatty or Britten will make it out of the first round.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

This is of course assuming some fairly good players fall to us.

Has Lauranitus fallen that much? Shoot what if we draft Curry, then all the decent OT are gone, but Lauranitis falls. I wouldn't mind taking him and letting Curry play SOLB.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Adam Curry is the main factor in this equation. He's more of an impact player than the safe pick That is Monroe. Make sure you get the best player available first and then let the 2nd round fall as it may.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lostsoul is offline Registered User

No way Lauranitis falls to the 2nd round.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    No way Lauranitis falls to the 2nd round.
    I agree. His less than stellar numbers at the Combine will be ancient history after his pro day. He's not a top 10 pick, but he ain't falling to #35 either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You never know what happens, though at #2, we at least have some control over our situation. As it stands now, I think I might just go with Curry, as the league seems suspect on the LB class due to the desire for every linebacker out there not named Ray Lewis. On the OT market however, we had a deep one last year and another this year while we have some strong late 1st round WR's this year. I'm willing to bet that there's a run on them and an OT like Britton may just fall low enough that we could grab him, maybe with a minimal trade up. Don't forget, Andre Smith is freefalling abit, but I doubt he'll make it out of round 1. He'll push OT demand down some.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I don't see how we can go with anything but an offensive tackle round one. An offense is built around it's line, you can have the top position players in the game, but if your line can't block for you then nothing will get accomplished. Our weakness has been our line. Pace is on the decline. We need to solidify this offensive line. Every year their is a top level linebacker that comes it seems. But top tier pro bowl caliber left tackles are harder to find. I just don't think that we can afford to pass on a top level left tackle to take a linebacker.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Jason Smith and CLint Sintim!!!!!!!

We get our OL of the future and our SLB that will excel in spags blitzing system.

After last years draft with all those OTs going in the 1st round and being good there rookie seasons i think both beatty and Britton will be off the board.

Britton goes #28 to the Eagles and Beatty goes either #32 to the Steelers or #33 to he Lions.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Hmmm, this is a tough one...

If you could guarentee me that Lauranitis would be there in the 2nd, I'd almost go with J Smith/Monroe - Lauranitis as my preference.

Since nothing is guarenteed in a draft, I'd take the BPA in the 1st, and then target who I wanted next, and move up a bit if necessary to grab him.

That would be Aaron Curry.

npow81 is offline Registered User

I like how you look at the 1-2 round picks as combo depending how we go at #1, but ideally i think the combo we should go with is OT/WR, and then LB in third unless Maleluga or Lauranitis is still there at #2. In round 1 i think we have to go with a sure fire OT pick and Smith and Monroe look like the only sure fire OT prospects, if we wait till round two it gets a little speculative, therefore, I hope that our draft board looks something like this (considering who will be available at that point)
    1-Jason Smith or Monroe (personally Smith seemed like more of a competitor at the combine)
    2--The remaining player out of; Maleluga (I see him as more likely to slip than Lauranitis because of his injury at the combine and some speed concerns), Lauranitis, Hakeem Nicks (likely gone), Heyward-Bey (almost certainly gone), Kenny Britt, Sean Smith, or Louis Delmas in order
    3--If don't draft WR in 2nd take Ramses Barden if available, if not take best remaining LB (McKillop, etc.)
    Last edited by npow81; -03-02-2009 at 07:40 PM.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Curry should be our #1. BPA, another Ray Lewis in the making. I still think that we keep Pace for another year or two. He's what took us to SB's, with all the change, might bring the fire back.

ramsfan559 is offline Registered User

if lions dont take jason smith the rams should take him but if the lions take him we should take curry

RockinRam is offline Registered User

This is a tough one.

For me, it's either Jason Smith or Aaron Curry at this point. Whichever one the Lions' don't pick, I would be gladly to have.

Aaron Curry seems that he would make a more impact on our team than Monroe, and Jason Smith seems that he could be the number one offensive tackle.

What if we got Curry, and Lauranaitis or Sintim in the second? Most likely not realistic, nor very smart, but our linebacker corps would sound pretty good.

If we could somehow grab Beatty in the second, I would have to say we get Curry. If not, then Jason Smith.

Since we already took the first step to upgrading our o-line, we should continue on that line, and solidify it even more, to make a more complete line. That way we won't have to prolong our attention on the o-line and can focus on other needs.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-05-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: I think you meant "Lions"