View Poll Results: Do the Rams trade up for Amobi Okoye?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is the player they need and want.

9 42.86%
  • No, stay put and bpa.

12 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country is offline Registered User

#1 Priority: DT Amobi Okoye

Last night I believe Scott Wright talked about how the Rams number one target and the guy that they really like in the draft is Amobi Okoye.

Okoye will not be there when the Rams pick.

Do you think the Rams should be looking to move on up to obtain the player that they really want?

A possible deal

Rams send 1[13] and 2[52] and 4[08] the Redskins deal 1[6]

Re: #1 Priority: DT Amobi Okoye

Here is a possible draft

1[6] DT Amobi Okoye [Louisville]

3[77] LB Justin Durant [Hampton]

4. DE Baraka Atkins [Miami]

5. OT Chase Johnson [Wyoming]

6. RB Garrett Wolfe [Northern Illinios]

7. C Lyle Sendelin [Texas]

7. DT Walter Thomas [NW Mississppi JC]

7. WR Paul Thompson [OU]

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Country, I assume that this trade is based on the belief that the 'Skins don't pull the trigger on the Briggs deal that has been floating around.

I think that if we can go out and add some depth to the OL thru free agency then trading up is a real possibility. If not i'm not sure i like giving up two picks in spots where there could still be a player who could contribute.

That said with the 2 comp picks, and our past success with them, maybe its a wash and doesnt rally hurt anything...
    Last edited by Revelstoke; -03-28-2007 at 01:30 PM.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think that is too much for the kid. I think he is going to be good, but thatís too much. If heís gone Branch may fall to us. If not Carriker would be a solid pick. Maybe we can get Tank or Harrell in the second. FA Ian Scott is still not signed. And we still have not seen Wroten get some time, who knows maybe he steps it up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

We've covered a lot of our immediate needs in free agency, but I don't like the idea of trading three picks in the draft to move up and take one player. Besides, while the Redskins would be an ideal team to trade down with, it's hard to imagine them putting a high value on picks since they (1) traded a lot of their's away for veteran players and (2) are rumored to be involved in a trade that would drop them a massive 25 spots simply for one vet.

I still think there's a shot at Okoye @ 13, but even if he isn't there we should still be able to get a good defensive prospect.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I don\t mind giving up the picks because the Rams have had so many over the last 2 years 11 in 2005 and 10 in 2006.

If Okoye is there guy I would love to see them get aggressive and go get him.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I hope the Rams get the BPA. If the Rams believe that this kid is a special player and worth giving up some picks then I would not be upset with that move. But how can any of us really know his potential? I will leave that up to the scouts who get paid to make that call.

Go Rams

max
    max is offline Registered User

Okoye is not a sure thing by any stretch. He has had one good year. And his weight has fluctuated a lot. What if he can't keep 300 lbs on him consistently?

Sorry, I don't like putting all my eggs in an Okoye basket.

I like letting the draft come to me. And at #13 we are in a very nice spot for that to happen.

All it will take is for a surprise pick (like Meachem or Bowe) to go in the top 12, along with guys like Levi Brown or Leon Hall, to have a top DL player drop to us. It could be Okoye, or Branch or Carriker.

So unless Softli and company see Branch and Carriker as mediocre players or busts, I think we sit tight.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

we still need an NT if we take Okoye, id prefer BPA

harrydog is offline Registered User

I really would like to see us take a defensive lineman with our first pick with DT being the first choice. I think any of these four players would have an immediate impact for us but I don't think the odds are great that any of them will be available at 13. If we can move up to grab one of them without giving up too much, I'm all for it.
    Branch, Okoye, Anderson, Adams
    If any of them are still there at 13 I think it's a no brainer. I'd also consider Carriker if he's available at 13.
    If none of those players are there at 13 I'd like to see us try to trade down a few spots and secure more picks although Willis, Landry or maybe Timmons would be good options at that point.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    we could always trade down and take a player like jon beason in the first and use the 2 second round pics on a DE Or DT. By us trading our first round pick(13th overall) we could get the other teams first round pic an send them our 13th for lets say their 25th. we could then get no less than a 2nd round pick or possibly a 4th too. if we did that we could get a LB like Jon Beason or Paul Poslusny. then draft a cb,de,dt in the second. then with the other 2nd we could get another DE or what ever is best at that pick.
    My only problem with trading down is that chances are, we won't get a true impact player. We traded down last year and even though we got additional picks, none of them turned out to be high impact players.
    Even though we have more than a few needs, I really think that quality is more important than quantity. A great player will help the players around him.
    I'm not in favor of trading down unless the cost is too high to move up or there is no one available at 13 that would immediately improve our run defense.
    Hopefully we won't be picking as early in the first round next year as we are this year, so we should take full advantage of having the 13th over all pick and use it wisely. It's easier to move up from 13 to snag an elite player than it is from 20, 25, or 30. Let's do it now!

we could always trade down and take a player like jon beason in the first
    We could trade down, but we shouldn't do it to take a WILL linebacker.

I just threw that name out there.
    Then why is he second on your defensive draft board?

RealRam is online now Registered User

Well I think he is a very good player, but I think if he would have stayed at Miami 1 more year he would be a top 5 pick. I am going purely on potential not how they have played so far. I do have him #2 on my big board, but it does not mean he is going to be that good to start with, he may need 2 years to develop and I think Jim can develop this young man. So basically I went purely on potential.
    That we could get Okoye, Branch, Carriker, Landon. I'd be absolutely thrilled that Coach Haslett could get to develop any of these players for our defense!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Harrydog

My only problem is your assuming the Rams will get a true impact player that will help against the run at #13.

I hope your right........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast