Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The "10 Foot Pole" List

As in:

"prospects I would not touch with a..."

1. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    My top candidate for "biggest bust" in this year's draft. He has size and was productive at a major college program. But, he will also run the 40 at a time slower than some LB prospects, and has been slowed by injuries. He wouldn't even be my choice with the Rams' second round pick.

2. Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
    Undersized, and likely a bit of a product of a great system with great players around him. Originally enrolled at UM, where his cousin, Alonzo, played, but washed out academically.

3. Steve Justice, C, Wake Forest
    Originally a guy I had on my RADAR, but after seeing him get tossed aside in the Senior Bowl, I have to conclude that he won't be able to compensate for his lack of size (284 lbs.) with technique.

4. Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
    Had some good moments in college, but his productivity took a big tumble (9.5 sacks to 3.0 sacks) from '06 to 0'7. His size (6'3, 254) simply does not translate to the NFL level, particularly in a 4-3 set.

5. James Hardy, WR, Indiana
    I could see Scott Linehan becoming enamored with his height (6'7), but with Al Saunders at the helm of the offense, the Rams need guys who can separate.

Any others that should be added to the list?

RedArcher7 Guest

Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

Sweed's only a bust if you take him too high. He'll pan out to be something. Maybe a #2 , he won't ever be a #1 Not the type of WR we need however. Replace with Desean Jackson or Mario Manningham. Andre Woodson, such a slow release.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

you could add steve slaton, chris johnson (troy williamson kinda guy), Mario Urutia, Frank Okam,

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't know, 39, why you'd discount Frank Okam. I thought he was solid at this Shrine game and had a great bowl game.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Andre Woodson with a 10ft pole. There's something that just doesn't sit well. He strikes me as a guy with all the physical tools in the world that don't translate into on-field dominance.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

In no particular order...

Colt Brennan (QB, Hawaii)
    -This time last year, many thought that Brennan would break the mold of Hawaii quarterbacks and could potentially become something at the next level. But this record breaker didn't deliver in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia, and all indications from the Senior Bowl are that he disappointed in just about every way imaginable - unimpressive weigh in, poor mechanics, and questionable arm strength.

Xavier Lee, QB, Florida State
    -Lee nearly considered transferring after 2006 because, in his words, "I just wasn't playing." He was inconsistent in relief work and as a starter for Florida State this season, and was not only suspended by the team for two games for violating class attendance rules but did not travel with them to their Music City Bowl appearance - was he one of the players suspended in the FSU academic cheating scandal? In the end, there simply isn't much to be impressed with about Lee as a quarterback prospect, and he's one giant question mark in regards to a position switch. Unless he just completely blows up the combine, how can a team legitimately spend a draft pick on him?

Adarius Bowman (WR, Oklahoma State)
    -What's unique about this draft class is that there really is not a clear-cut top receiver prospect available. Some say it's DeSean Jackson, others say Malcolm Kelly. Bowman had a chance to really separate himself from the pack. At 6'3", he has the kind of size most teams craze. But his senior season was cut short due to injury, and with a chance to impress at the Senior Bowl, he failed, dropping more passes than he caught during the week's practices.

Tommy Blake (DE, TCU)
    -Blake accumulated 16.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks in 2006, leading many to believe he could be one of the nation's top pass rushers in '07. Instead, he was sidelined twice for personal reasons (possibly stress) and ballooned to 280 pounds for the East-West Shrine Game. He finished 2007 with four sacks and seven tackles for loss, but there are serious concerns about his work ethic and attitude. Can he handle life in the NFL?

Ben Moffitt (ILB, South Florida)
    -Moffitt was a media darling for the entire football season. Praised as a family man and a hard worker, Moffitt lacked the elite measureables of other players but simply got the job done on the football field. So what's the problem? Moffitt's soon to be ex-wife came out weeks ago and claimed that she did nearly all of his school work for him and that he left her and their child. Some may feel this is a jaded ex trying to capitalize on success while she can, but with no way of knowing the truth, Moffitt's integrity may no longer be as squeaky clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Colt Brennan (QB, Hawaii)
    -This time last year, many thought that Brennan would break the mold of Hawaii quarterbacks and could potentially become something at the next level. But this record breaker didn't deliver in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia, and all indications from the Senior Bowl are that he disappointed in just about every way imaginable - unimpressive weigh in, poor mechanics, and questionable arm strength.
    Oh, man... how did I forget to put him on the list? I agree with you 100%.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Limas Sweed is a mystery. When healthy, he could be a top notch receiver. He does have decent speed. However, his injury puts him in a maybe category. I wouldn't say a ten foot pole category though. He isn't a first round pick in my opinion, but he is a first day selection.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As in:

4. Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
    Had some good moments in college, but his productivity took a big tumble (9.5 sacks to 3.0 sacks) from '06 to 0'7. His size (6'3, 254) simply does not translate to the NFL level, particularly in a 4-3 set.
    Um....his size is almost precisely that of Leonard Little. And, therefore, he would be a fit in a 4-3, but certainly not in a 3-4.

BTW I like your selections that are listed on the bottom of your posts; but in all reality, there is no chance that Chris Williams will be available when the Rams pick in the 2nd round. I have him climbing the boards right now and he may end up in the top 15. It's a nice dream though.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Um....his size is almost precisely that of Leonard Little. And, therefore, he would be a fit in a 4-3, but certainly not in a 3-4.
    He'd be an OLB in the 3-4 scheme.

rammiser is offline Registered User

In no particular order...

Adarius Bowman (WR, Oklahoma State)
    -What's unique about this draft class is that there really is not a clear-cut top receiver prospect available. Some say it's DeSean Jackson, others say Malcolm Kelly. Bowman had a chance to really separate himself from the pack. At 6'3", he has the kind of size most teams craze. But his senior season was cut short due to injury, and with a chance to impress at the Senior Bowl, he failed, dropping more passes than he caught during the week's practices.
    Amazing that people put so much stock in the Senior Bowl. Well I hope the other teams do because I actually thin Bowman is going to be the best wr coming out in this draft. Everyone makes a big deal about the Senior Bowl yet I dont think anybody watched the game. He caught a td and it was clearly a td and the refs took it away on a blown call even the announcers said it. This guy is close to 6'4 220 lbs and has good speed 4.48. He will run faster at the combine. He should be our third pick in this years draft. The only other wr I would consider is Avery he fits the Holt and Bruce mold for Saunders offense. This is why so many teams miss in the draft they put too much stock in the Senior Bowl,Hula Bowl and combine and forget that the game is played on the field. Jerry Rice was too slow to be a great wr right? I'm sure he still laughs about that.
    Just Fix It

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

He'd be an OLB in the 3-4 scheme.
    Maybe so, but if Leonard Little can play DE in a 4-3 why couldn't Quentin Groves? BTW my comment about him not being a fit for the 3-4 was predicated upon him playing DE. Sidenote: According to the GBN report he is clocked at 4.55. This easily makes him the fastest DE in the draft should he stay at that position.

WHTA SAY YE?

Little is is 6'3, 263, so he's a bit bigger than Groves. More importantly, I really don't see Groves as a Leonard Little type of player. He is, as Nick said, best suited for OLB in a 3-4, and I think there are much better prospects in that category.

BTW I like your selections that are listed on the bottom of your posts; but in all reality, there is no chance that Chris Williams will be available when the Rams pick in the 2nd round. I have him climbing the boards right now and he may end up in the top 15. It's a nice dream though.
    I think it is folly to state that there is "no chance" that Williams will be available with the 33rd pick in the draft. At this time last year, most thought Alan Branch was a top 10 pick. He ended up going in the second round. Williams is currently regarded as a late 1st/early 2nd round player. I'm hoping for the latter.

Maybe so, but if Leonard Little can play DE in a 4-3 why couldn't Quentin Groves? BTW my comment about him not being a fit for the 3-4 was predicated upon him playing DE. Sidenote: According to the GBN report he is clocked at 4.55. This easily makes him the fastest DE in the draft should he stay at that position.
    He'll wow some scouts with his speed, but look at his production for '07:

11 games
    38 tackles
    7 tackles for loss
    3.0 sacks

Doesn't really jump out at you, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Amazing that people put so much stock in the Senior Bowl.
    Should they not put any in it? This is a chance for prospects to practice with NFL coaches on the field, and for Bowman, was a chance to come out and lock up a first round grade and potentially be the top guy taken. Except he completely disappointed.

When you're a 6'3" receiver who isn't known for blazing speed, then you need to be able to compensate by catching everything in sight. Bowman didn't. Yes, a review of his touchdown catch indicates it actually was a catch, but it was ruled incomplete because he didn't secure it to begin with, which again points back to the questions about his hands.

But perhaps the most important factor as to why I would stay away from Bowman is because he simply doesn't fill what we need at the receiver position. Like it or not, we just went out and spent big money on a tall receiver. What we need is someone with the speed to really stretch the field and be a deep threat, and I think there are a number of better options here than Bowman.

When it's all said and done, I think the guy is still a Day One pick. I think he has starter potential in the NFL, but I also think he has the potential to really disappoint as well. Ultimately, I just see too many red flags on Bowman to feel good spending a Day One pick on him.

This is why so many teams miss in the draft they put too much stock in the Senior Bowl,Hula Bowl and combine and forget that the game is played on the field.
    And the Senior Bowl isn't played on a field?

Jerry Rice was too slow to be a great wr right? I'm sure he still laughs about that.
    Bringing up Jerry Rice in a discussion about Adarius Bowman seems out of place. Rice was incredibly successful not only because of his precise route running but because of amazing hands and concentration. Meanwhile, Bowman's hands and concentration have largely been questioned. Those are both areas he's going to have to improve at the next level if he wants to be successful.

RedArcher7 Guest

But if could catch, he'd be a threat. Xavier Lee shouldn't even watch the draft or even turn his phone on.

Agree with Nick, the only reason Bowman and Rice should be in the same sentence is if your listing people who have indeed at one point in their lives played football.

Mario Urutia isn't bad. He's not flashy or super special but he could be a solid player for a bunch of years. I'd keel Frank Okam off this list all together. He's a player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. The
    Refback This thread
    -02-26-2008, 05:47 AM