RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He'll wow some scouts with his speed, but look at his production for '07:

11 games
    38 tackles
    7 tackles for loss
    3.0 sacks

Doesn't really jump out at you, does it?
    No, it doesn't. However, his 11.0 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks in '06 does. This may be a guy who is manifesting Dan Marino Syndrome (great junior year; not so good senior year). I would like to find out, if possible, just what may be some of the reasons why his production fell by 50%. Until then I recommend we exercise caution before including him on the "10 Foot Pole" list.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I would like to find out, if possible, just what may be some of the reasons why his production fell by 50%.
    Groves began the season at defensive end but dislocated multiple toes in his right foot in the fifth game of the year. He missed two games and then was slowly worked back into the line-up and was moved back and forth from LB to DE. He actually led the SEC with 23 quarterback pressures in 2007, so it's not as if he completely disappeared.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

I agree with the Groves assessment. Little plays more around 275 lbs reportedly but the guy is a freak in the weight room. Anyone looking at Groves as a DE is most likely thinking of putting 25 lbs on the guy. His excellent speed instantly becomes marginalized as he gains that weight. I've always thought teams would be better off getting a 240 lb who is the fastest they can find and put him in the DE position on obvious passing downs and special teams only. It's all about the speed at times like that. A guy like Tavaris Gooden of Miami. He'd fit that role perfectly if available in the 3rd round and could be a cheap way to generate a pass rush. Guys like Little tend to get their sacks in obvious passing downs anyway.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The GBN Report has the Rams taking Groves in the second round

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Should they not put any in it? This is a chance for prospects to practice with NFL coaches on the field, and for Bowman, was a chance to come out and lock up a first round grade and potentially be the top guy taken. Except he completely disappointed.

When you're a 6'3" receiver who isn't known for blazing speed, then you need to be able to compensate by catching everything in sight. Bowman didn't. Yes, a review of his touchdown catch indicates it actually was a catch, but it was ruled incomplete because he didn't secure it to begin with, which again points back to the questions about his hands.

But perhaps the most important factor as to why I would stay away from Bowman is because he simply doesn't fill what we need at the receiver position. Like it or not, we just went out and spent big money on a tall receiver. What we need is someone with the speed to really stretch the field and be a deep threat, and I think there are a number of better options here than Bowman.

When it's all said and done, I think the guy is still a Day One pick. I think he has starter potential in the NFL, but I also think he has the potential to really disappoint as well. Ultimately, I just see too many red flags on Bowman to feel good spending a Day One pick on him.

And the Senior Bowl isn't played on a field?

Bringing up Jerry Rice in a discussion about Adarius Bowman seems out of place. Rice was incredibly successful not only because of his precise route running but because of amazing hands and concentration. Meanwhile, Bowman's hands and concentration have largely been questioned. Those are both areas he's going to have to improve at the next level if he wants to be successful.
    I understand everything you are saying and of course these are just our opinions we could both be wrong I realize that. In the Senior Bowl on the field Bowman was thrown to twice and caught both balls one for a td. In the NFL with instant replay that catch would have been ruled a td. I do like your points however of already having Bennett which would give us two tall wr's. Although I like the fact of having bigger wr's that can cause mismatches but I see your point wanting a burner. I only brought up Rice to point out the fact that the draft is a crap shoot. There could be a future hall of famer sitting right there waiting to be picked but your team passes on him because he didnt run fast enough or he had a bad Senior Bowl and combine. I'm not saying Bowman is a future hall of fame just that everything is a bit over analyzed when it comes to combine stats and that kind of garbage. I like Bowman and Avery, but I like Bowman better and considering we brought in Saunders if both of them are there in the 3rd he would want Avery because he fits the Bruce, Holt mold and is a burner.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    This guy is close to 6'4 220 lbs and has good speed 4.48. He will run faster at the combine.
    Just to update, Bowman ran an unofficial 4.69 today.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Back to Groves. He had even more dislocated toes than Little and you could see how that effected little. The guy was tough and played through it at LB becuase his pass rush was effected with those toes. I think he can bulk up and the perfect guy to replace Little. Remember when Little was coming out he was being projected as LB. Bowman has been having a horrendous post season i would put him near the top of the 10 foot pole list.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I'm a big Ali Highsmith fan. I just think that in the right system with his athletic ability, he could be a stud.

I wouldnt touch the Cambell kid from Miami. He looks the part of a monster DE, but I've seen very little from him that stands out on the field.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

general counsel is offline Registered User

when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was an example of anatomical bragging by the mods again, reminding us mere mortals that Hubison, avenger and Dez are all often mistaken for John C. Holmes.

Meanwhile, i think colt brennan has no chance of success at the pro level.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was an example of anatomical bragging by the mods again, reminding us mere mortals that Hubison, avenger and Dez are all often mistaken for John C. Holmes.
    I'm going to ignore that I was left off that list. :\

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. The
    Refback This thread
    -02-26-2008, 05:47 AM