Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,070
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He'll wow some scouts with his speed, but look at his production for '07:

    11 games
    38 tackles
    7 tackles for loss
    3.0 sacks

    Doesn't really jump out at you, does it?
    No, it doesn't. However, his 11.0 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks in '06 does. This may be a guy who is manifesting Dan Marino Syndrome (great junior year; not so good senior year). I would like to find out, if possible, just what may be some of the reasons why his production fell by 50%. Until then I recommend we exercise caution before including him on the "10 Foot Pole" list.

    WHAT SAY YE?


  2. #17
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I would like to find out, if possible, just what may be some of the reasons why his production fell by 50%.
    Groves began the season at defensive end but dislocated multiple toes in his right foot in the fifth game of the year. He missed two games and then was slowly worked back into the line-up and was moved back and forth from LB to DE. He actually led the SEC with 23 quarterback pressures in 2007, so it's not as if he completely disappeared.

  3. #18
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,215
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    I agree with the Groves assessment. Little plays more around 275 lbs reportedly but the guy is a freak in the weight room. Anyone looking at Groves as a DE is most likely thinking of putting 25 lbs on the guy. His excellent speed instantly becomes marginalized as he gains that weight. I've always thought teams would be better off getting a 240 lb who is the fastest they can find and put him in the DE position on obvious passing downs and special teams only. It's all about the speed at times like that. A guy like Tavaris Gooden of Miami. He'd fit that role perfectly if available in the 3rd round and could be a cheap way to generate a pass rush. Guys like Little tend to get their sacks in obvious passing downs anyway.

  4. #19
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    The GBN Report has the Rams taking Groves in the second round

  5. #20
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Should they not put any in it? This is a chance for prospects to practice with NFL coaches on the field, and for Bowman, was a chance to come out and lock up a first round grade and potentially be the top guy taken. Except he completely disappointed.

    When you're a 6'3" receiver who isn't known for blazing speed, then you need to be able to compensate by catching everything in sight. Bowman didn't. Yes, a review of his touchdown catch indicates it actually was a catch, but it was ruled incomplete because he didn't secure it to begin with, which again points back to the questions about his hands.

    But perhaps the most important factor as to why I would stay away from Bowman is because he simply doesn't fill what we need at the receiver position. Like it or not, we just went out and spent big money on a tall receiver. What we need is someone with the speed to really stretch the field and be a deep threat, and I think there are a number of better options here than Bowman.

    When it's all said and done, I think the guy is still a Day One pick. I think he has starter potential in the NFL, but I also think he has the potential to really disappoint as well. Ultimately, I just see too many red flags on Bowman to feel good spending a Day One pick on him.



    And the Senior Bowl isn't played on a field?



    Bringing up Jerry Rice in a discussion about Adarius Bowman seems out of place. Rice was incredibly successful not only because of his precise route running but because of amazing hands and concentration. Meanwhile, Bowman's hands and concentration have largely been questioned. Those are both areas he's going to have to improve at the next level if he wants to be successful.
    I understand everything you are saying and of course these are just our opinions we could both be wrong I realize that. In the Senior Bowl on the field Bowman was thrown to twice and caught both balls one for a td. In the NFL with instant replay that catch would have been ruled a td. I do like your points however of already having Bennett which would give us two tall wr's. Although I like the fact of having bigger wr's that can cause mismatches but I see your point wanting a burner. I only brought up Rice to point out the fact that the draft is a crap shoot. There could be a future hall of famer sitting right there waiting to be picked but your team passes on him because he didnt run fast enough or he had a bad Senior Bowl and combine. I'm not saying Bowman is a future hall of fame just that everything is a bit over analyzed when it comes to combine stats and that kind of garbage. I like Bowman and Avery, but I like Bowman better and considering we brought in Saunders if both of them are there in the 3rd he would want Avery because he fits the Bruce, Holt mold and is a burner.
    Just Fix It

  6. #21
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    This guy is close to 6'4 220 lbs and has good speed 4.48. He will run faster at the combine.
    Just to update, Bowman ran an unofficial 4.69 today.

  7. #22
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    Back to Groves. He had even more dislocated toes than Little and you could see how that effected little. The guy was tough and played through it at LB becuase his pass rush was effected with those toes. I think he can bulk up and the perfect guy to replace Little. Remember when Little was coming out he was being projected as LB. Bowman has been having a horrendous post season i would put him near the top of the 10 foot pole list.

  8. #23
    RamJackson39's Avatar
    RamJackson39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    I'm a big Ali Highsmith fan. I just think that in the right system with his athletic ability, he could be a stud.

    I wouldnt touch the Cambell kid from Miami. He looks the part of a monster DE, but I've seen very little from him that stands out on the field.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.


  9. #24
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,442
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was an example of anatomical bragging by the mods again, reminding us mere mortals that Hubison, avenger and Dez are all often mistaken for John C. Holmes.

    Meanwhile, i think colt brennan has no chance of success at the pro level.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  10. #25
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: The "10 Foot Pole" List

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was an example of anatomical bragging by the mods again, reminding us mere mortals that Hubison, avenger and Dez are all often mistaken for John C. Holmes.
    I'm going to ignore that I was left off that list. :\

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

  1. The
    Refback This thread
    -02-26-2008, 05:47 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Alexander's foot may still be broken
    By RamsFanSam in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-03-2006, 02:01 PM
  3. Kennedy puts best foot forward
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
  4. Salary Cap Request
    By HUbison in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -12-31-2004, 02:48 AM
  5. Kennedy puts best foot forward
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -11-12-2004, 04:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •