RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

11 - 19 - 2006 Rams Mock

Rams are in need of some more appearing positions. Nick called them out in the preseason and as stubborn as I am, I didn't agree. But now do.

Lets Begin:

• Round 1: Pick 14 Alan Branch DT, Michigan

- Michigan has the No. 2 Ranked run Defense in the Nation. And there is a reason. At the beginning of the season who would have thought that this no name Alan Branch dude would emerge as a Premiere Run Stopping Defensive Tackle? No one. He has stepped up his game this year into a Premiere Run Stopper. That is just what the Rams need, a run stopping Defensive Tackle to step in and be able to challenge Jimmy Kennedy for the starting NT spot. The Rams drafted a First Round talent DT last year in the 3rd Round in Claude Wroten, but he specializes in pass rushing, not run stopping. Thats what the Rams need, RUN STOPPING! Thats why the Rams take Alan Branch, a Run Stopping DT from Michigan.

• Round 2: Pick 14 Josh Beekman OG, Boston College

- The Rams need Offensive Line help particulary right now at the Offensive Guard spot where they have two 35, 34 year olds starting at Offensive Guard who are both past there time. That is not going to cut it next year when they won't get younger. Thats why this pick right here is a Great Offensive Guard Prospect out of Boston College.

• Round 3: Pick 14 Prescott Burgess OLB, Michigan

- Rams again on Defense need help run stopping obviously. After going Run Stopping Defensive Tackle in the first round, they go again for a Run Stopping player, but at the Linebacker position, and again plays for the No. 2 Run D in the Nation... Michigan. Prescott could be able to come in and play right away at Strong Side Linebacker over Chillar. Chillar is a nice player to have but isn't starting material in my opinion. He's a stiff player who can't shed a block, although like I said is a nice player. Prescott is a bigger but more atheletic OLB who can stop the run and shed a block effectively to come up and stop the run, and has good tacklign ability/technique. Thats why right here the Rams take a Run Stopping LB in Prescott Burgess.

• Round 4: Pick 14 Brandon Meriweather S, Miami (U)

- Yes Meriweather has a bad attitude, and yes he could be a headache. But he is sitting here in the 4th Round because people are affraid to take a chance at him, but oh wait the Rams did the same thing last year with Claude Wroten and has so far turned out to be a steal because of peoples fear of his off the field attitude. Meriweather doesn't have the attitude you'd like but it can be changed. He has first round talent but will fall because of that attitude. Alot of people won't want to take him here but he's a playmaking FS that we need, he excels in pass coverage and is good in run support and won't miss many tackles. Thats what we need and thats why we take Brandon Meriweather right here.

• Round 5: Pick 14 Jason Snelling FB, Virginia

• Round 6: Pick 14 Matt Trannon WR, Michigan State

• Round 7: Pick 14 Sam Olajubutu LB, Arkansas

RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 11 - 19 - 2006 Rams Mock

This is probably the best mock I've seen from you. Overall, pretty good job. Here are a couple of notes:

-Should he declare, Alan Branch would be a key target for us, but he's not going to last until the middle of the first round where you have us picking, IMO. If Branch comes out, I see him going top ten at least. A more realistic middle first round DT prospect would be Frank Okam, though I'm not as high on him at the 14th slot. If for some reason Branch lasts until 14, it's a no brainer pick. But I don't see a situation where he lasts that long.

-Beekman in the second is great, and actually is the direction I'm leaning for my Thanksgiving Rams Mock Draft to be posted later this week. He could sneak into the bottom of the first, but you don't see guards taken all that high so I think early to middle second is fine.

-Burgess in the third is good as well. This draft seems rather low on strong side linebacker prospects, at least in my opinion, so picking one up on the first day would be advantageous. As a former safety, Burress should be able to do well in coverage when lining up over tight ends. I think his past as a DB means he likely still has some work to do, but I generally like him as a prospect.

-Keep Meriweather off of my team. Period. I want nothing to do with this punk, similarly to how I wanted nothing to do with Marcus Vick as well. You don't build good football programs and positive locker rooms by drafting guys like him. The Claude Wroten comparison is complete apples to oranges, though. Wroten fell and was questioned for a drug arrest but had a good attitude and work ethic. Meriweather is a thug who is a repeated character concern because of violence. BIG DIFFERENCE.

-Snelling in the fifth is an interesting choice. He's kind of a total package kind of player. He can lead block for you, but also makes for a good short yardage 'back. He catches balls well out of the backfield and is effective in pass protection. For those that want a really speedy change of pace back, they won't like this pick. But since we're using guys like Tony Fisher and Stephen Davis to spell Jackson, I think this pick makes sense from that perspective.

-Can't really complain about anything in the sixth or seventh. Trannon is the tall WR many have been clamoring for, but my impression is that he's been inconsistent and hasn't lived up to expectations. I guess if he had, he wouldn't be a sixth round pick, eh? I'm not a fan of Olajubutu though simply because we have enough weak side guys on this team with Pisa and Alston as well as Will if needed.

-No help at defensive end at all? We really need at least some kind of depth there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Rf16, that's a very good mock! But I have to tell you meriweather most likely will not drop to the fourth, I have watched him every week(because I'm a miami fan), his only problem was that one altercation, he brings intensity that this defense needs, I would love to have him on our team, very good mock!
    Built RAM tough

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I really like this mock draft. I like it a lot because because it has two Michigan Wolverines! I agree with Nick, I have seen many Michigan games, and Alan Branch has done a great job for Michigan, He makes great tackles and he can definitely stop the run, IMO he's the best DT in the Draft and he'll most likely be unavailiable at the 14th pick. I think the Rams should also get a Center, I think Richie should move to guard on the left. Andy McColumn is getting old too.

Country is offline Registered User

Branch is gone in the top 5 to 10 picks whcih would mean the Rams need to trade up to get him.

I say best OL/DL available at the pick.

LARAM is offline Registered User

If we keep loosing, we may not have to trade up for nothing because we might end up with the #5 spot

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM View Post
    If we keep loosing, we may not have to trade up for nothing because we might end up with the #5 spot
    Which would be good because then we'd end up with Alan Branch without losing a pick :x
    RamsFan16

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I have a question for either Nick or RF16. With the pick of Snelling are you saying trying to say that Paul Smith and Madison Hedgecock are going to be playing for other teams next year, or are we going to draft him to be a 3rd down/goal line type running back?

And what are the stats on this prescott burgess fellow? By looking at the picture he doesn't seem to be all that big compared to some of the other lb's. I thought we were trying to get away from under-sized/under-weight lb's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I have a question for either Nick or RF16. With the pick of Snelling are you saying trying to say that Paul Smith and Madison Hedgecock are going to be playing for other teams next year, or are we going to draft him to be a 3rd down/goal line type running back?

And what are the stats on this prescott burgess fellow? By looking at the picture he doesn't seem to be all that big compared to some of the other lb's. I thought we were trying to get away from under-sized/under-weight lb's.
    No, I'm not saying that he'll be on a diffrent team, I'm just saying he's more of a versatile type FB, he can block and if need be catch a pass, and is a solid short yardage runner.

Also, Burgess is 6'3" 244lbs. Stats from this year:
    Second on the team with 43 tackles ... contributed 6.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two interceptions and five pass breakups
    RamsFan16