Thread: The 11th pick

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

Post The 11th pick

I think with the 11th we should take Veron Davis, because we can get a saftey like Hope or a decent LB in
    FA. And also this is a deep draft for LB.

What do y'all think?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: The 11th pick

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11
    I think with the 11th we should take Veron Davis, because we can get a saftey like Hope or a decent LB in
    FA. And also this is a deep draft for LB.

What do y'all think?
    I agree ... There are not many if any TEs in the draft or NFL that have the upper body strength as VD. Also he has soft hands and great speed. He is a WR playing in a TE's body. Also he can block.

There are plenty of good LBs in the draft/FA also safeties. I think VD would be the way to go!
    RamsFan16

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

He's great and he's responsible for some eye catching highlights boys, but it would be remarkable if we added him to an offence such as ours when the D needs considerably more work.

I'd like to see us take a defensive player at #11 and be delighted if it was someone who can help in the defensive secondary or linebacking corps straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    I'd like to see us take a defensive player at #11 and be delighted if it was someone who can help in the defensive secondary or linebacking corps straight away.
    If we sign a free agent they could make a impact right away just like someone we draft. Plus they will some experience in the NFL.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

If we sign a free agent they could make a impact right away just like someone we draft. Plus they will some experience in the NFL.
    True enough, but they'll come with a hefty price tag.

As others have also stated, TE this year is really deep with the chance of a good pick up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Personally I'd like us to give Manu one more year with his cap value as high as it is too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    As others have also stated, TE this year is really deep with the chance of a good pick up in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    That is true it is a deep draft for TE, but passing up on Davis is like passing up on reggie bush, because the team picking really needs a defensive player.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

And also this is a deep draft for LB.
    It's a deep draft for tight ends as well. Three potential first rounders in Davis, Pope, and Lewis. Then you've got guys like Fasano, Byrd, and Klopfenstein, all of whom I like. That's six clear Day One tight end prospects, and if past drafts are any indication, then we're very likely to be in a position to draft one of them in the second or third rounds. Some even project that Lewis could be available when we pick in the second. That'd be an amazing value selection right there.

passing up on Davis is like passing up on reggie bush
    I disagree with that assessment/comparison entirely.

I think the Rams are in a unique position to add a talented defensive player with that first pick, and while I would love to have Davis on the Rams, I would probably be more enthsiastic about a defensive player considering how poorly that unit performed in 2005. It all really depends on what we do in free agency and who's on the board in the draft.

True, the Rams can go into free agency and sign a guy like Hope (not sure they can pay him enough) and a decent linebacker. But there's no reason Linehan can't go into free agency and find a tight end he feels he can work with, either. I think guys like Chris Baker, Christian Fauria, Dan Campbell, Robert Royal, and Teyo Johnson are all scheduled for free agency, and would be pretty cheap additions that I think Linehan could work with. They certainly aren't the best players, but neither is Jermaine Wiggins. Linehan doesn't need a top five tight end in his offense to be able to get things out of that position, nor do the Rams need another stud weapon on the offensive side of the ball. They just need an effective one.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Some even project that Lewis could be available when we pick in the second.
    Lewis does not have the blocking skills needed to be an effective blocker.

The only problem that I see with Davis is that RF16 keeps calling him VD.

I'm wavering on the #11 selection again. I'm sticking to my belief that DeMeco Ryans is possibly going to be there in the 2nd. Freddie Roach should be there in the 4th (he would be a great addition) and the Rams are going to resign Arch. If things go like that, then I'm confident in our defense to get the job done.

Things will change soon though. What happens if we dont resign Pickett or Arch? Obviously, everything changes. So the speculation now is a little premature.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

This is from a mock draft from Yahoo sports Charles Robinson for what it's worth
    11. St. Louis Rams – Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech. Williams' size is almost a tad big for a corner (6-2, 207), and his performance in the workouts will be a big determining factor in where he ends up. Some scouts think he might eventually have to convert to safety. The Rams could use a player with the flexibility to do both. Iowa's Chad Greenway and Alabama's DeMeco Ryans will both get looks at this spot. If Vernon Davis is still on the board here, he's a virtual lock.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Lewis does not have the blocking skills needed to be an effective blocker.
    I'm not so sure. It's certainly not his strong point, but it's not for Davis either. I would definitely rank Davis higher as a blocker, but I think a lot of people write off Lewis in this category. He doesn't have great upper body strength and still needs to work on his technique, but the effort is there. And when you've got a coach like Linehan, who knows how to get the most out of the tight end position, that's why I'm saying you don't need the biggest stud on the farm. Besides, Marcedes Lewis in the mid second would be a GREAT value selection. And even if he's not there, again, you still have other guys like Fasano, Byrd, and Klopfenstein who could go in the second or third.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The only way I see our defense turning things around is getting the best possible value out of both free agency AND the draft. As stated before, the offense will be more than adequate with even a marginal upgrade, but the defense is in critical condition and has to be the priority. I just don't see how we have the luxury to take a TE with the 11th pick.

What will happen is anybody's guess because Linehan has stressed improving the defense but also that the Rams would not be opposed to taking the best player available come draft time. Things should be very interesting around here on draft day.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

hey r8rh8rmike, did you attend cal state long beach. i remember seeing your avatar in one of their brochures.

Rambos is online now Registered User

The only problem that I see with Davis is that RF16 keeps calling him VD.
    lol

I would like to see who we can get in FA, that should give us a clue as to who we will take.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage39
    hey r8rh8rmike, did you attend cal state long beach. i remember seeing your avatar in one of their brochures.
    Yes sir I did. Go Beach!